Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > 1979.08.18 Saarbrucken (2nd gen, Flac, rapidshare)

forum rss feed
Author

Queenrockyou user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenrockyou
Deity: 2013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This show is for Yara, as requested.
It has been shared before here by Ginger as a torrent, so all thanks goes to Ginger !! And of course to all of you who shared that one previously, and to the taper obviously.
I got it afterwards from someone else, but it probably comes from the said torrent, so consider it only as a reupload.



1979.08.18 Saarbrücken, Ludwigsparkstadion


Quality: VG



Lineage: AUD > Mastertape > Cassette > Cassette > WAV > CDR(x) > EAC > WAV > FLAC (Flac frontend level 8)



Comments : 2nd generation copy. Sounds a little distant but you can hear what's going on. This is the concert
where Roger accidentally coloured his hair green. First time ever they performed full Mustapha and the Keep
Yourself Alive medley.


Tracklisting :


CD1:

01. We Will Rock You (Fast)
02. Let Me Entertain You
03. If You Can't Beat Them
04. Mustapha
05. Death On Two Legs (Dedicated To......
06. Killer Queen
07. I'm In Love With My Car
08. Get Down, Make Love
09. You're My Best Friend
10. Now I'm Here
11. Somebody To Love
12. Spread Your Wings


CD2:

01. Love Of My Life
02. Keep Yourself Alive/Instrumental Inferno
03. Brighton Rock (Reprise)
04. Bohemian Rhapsody
05. Tie Your Mother Down
06. Sheer Heart Attack
07. Jailhouse Rock
08. We Will Rock You
09. We Are The Champions
10. God Save The Queen


DO NOT SHARE THIS IN ANY FORM OF LOSSY FORMAT (WHICH MEANS MP3, WMA, OGG ETC.) Convert to lossy only for personal use.
Lineage should always be included as information in trades.



The links now :


CD1 :

http://rapidshare.com/files/275380913/1979.08.18_Saarbrucken.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/275394962/1979.08.18_Saarbrucken.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/275331275/1979.08.18_Saarbrucken.part3.rar


CD2 :

http://rapidshare.com/files/275348800/1979.08.18_Saarbrucken_CD2.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/275364496/1979.08.18_Saarbrucken_CD2.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/275366894/1979.08.18_Saarbrucken_CD2.part3.rar

As always with my shares, these links include all the various logs that can seem useful, SBE's haven been checked and corrected if needed, frequencies have been checked as lossless, logs are included.... But in no way did I play with the sound in any way, I never tried to improve it or anything. Hey, I ain't no Pittrek !! ;o)



Enjoy!!!


Regards,

Olivier,
Belgium.


wanna trade ?
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


great ! many tks Olivier :)



Bring out the charge of the love brigade
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 08:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It’s the HANGING AROUND GIG!!! I can’t believe it, I thought you were kidding. Thanks a million, thank you very much, it was so kind of you, Olivier. It really was. This is so lovely...listening to a concert I enjoyed hearing so much is already a treat; being able to get it in such a lovely and warm way is heaven!

This is the definitive version of "If You Can’t Beat Them" - the band is great throughout and Freddie’s vocals are better than on the album - his rendition of the high-pitched verses, just like the "hanging around" line, is pristine - he’s so squarely in tune for all the verse that, no kidding, his vocals could really be used as a sample sound of the note. The power of his delivery and the beauty of his crystal-clear tone, way less raspy than in the recording, are so riveting. What’s interesting is that, as far as I remember, Roger steps in to harmonize and help Freddie modulate a good chunk of the song, as they usually did when playing it live, just later right before the refrain, leaving Freddie to sing the killer high-pitched lines on his own.

Thank you so much, Olivier. I’m sure I’m going to have some fun listening to the concert.

(hugging Olivier quickly before his girlfriend arrives)

This is such a huggable share. You’ve been so lovely and kind to me, Olivier. Thanks a lot for that too - it makes the experience on the website all the more rewarding!

Ginger01 is such a sweetheart too.

You guys rock!

(dancing with eyes closed...)

"da-da...keep your chin up when you’re feeling lonely...". lol

Better stop the singing to avoid scaring the users away. : -)

(fading out)

Haaaanging around...da-da-la-laaa...




 



Yara
Queenrockyou user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenrockyou
Deity: 2013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Yara wrote:



(hugging Olivier quickly before his girlfriend arrives)





 

Ouch !!! Too late !! Caught !!
 ;o)

Enjoy, dear Yara, and everyone, and once again thank you very much Ginger !!



Regards,

Olivier,
Belgium.









wanna trade ?
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anybody have a good VIDEO ? Or at least a LONGER VIDEO ? The common source is cca 1min. long and in terrible quality


bootLuca user is on Queenzone.com
bootLuca
Royalty: 1186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Yara wrote:

and Freddie’s vocals are better than on the album - his rendition of the high-pitched verses, just like the "hanging around" line, is pristine - he’s so squarely in tune for all the verse that, no kidding, his vocals could really be used as a sample sound of the note. The power of his delivery and the beauty of his crystal-clear tone, way less raspy than in the recording, are so riveting. What’s interesting is that, as far as I remember, Roger steps in to harmonize and help Freddie modulate a good chunk of the song, as they usually did when playing it live, just later right before the refrain, leaving Freddie to sing the killer high-pitched lines on his own.




from this concert to the 1982, Freddie's voice has been greatly improved as a way of singing...

do you remember the Japanese concerts than 3 months before this concert?

concerts where freddie sang an octave lower and he went out of tune every time he tried to raise his voice?

from this concert freddie have changed his way of singing live, he reaches the high notes as he has never done before...anyone has any ideas how Freddie was able to do this in just 3 months?

Luca





The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bootLuca wrote:

from this concert freddie have changed his way of singing live, he reaches the high notes as he has never done before...anyone has any ideas how Freddie was able todo this in just 3 months?


Easy.  The Jazz tour was their longest tour yet, and it strained Freddie's voice.  They took a few months off, and his voice was back to normal.  This experience must have taught him plenty about his voice and how to manage it.  As a result, the next 3 years were absolutely golden for him.

By autumn 1982, it was a bit weak again, as that was the tail end of their longest tour ever.  And by 1984, smoking had really affected his voice, so he was up and down through 1986.


"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Christian77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Christian77
Bohemian: 109 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also for the info....
Bye
Christian


Christian77
bootLuca user is on Queenzone.com
bootLuca
Royalty: 1186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Sir GH wrote:

Easy.  The Jazz tour was their longest tour yet, and it strained Freddie's voice.  They took a few months off, and his voice was back to normal.  This experience must have taught him plenty about his voice and how to manage it.  As a result, the next 3 years were absolutely golden for him.



I'm not entirely convinced...

you could be right but it could also be that has taken singing lessons or have done treating the nodules in her throat. i'm really don't know...

in any case it was a key moment for the voice of Freddie (and thus the career of Queen) and I think that this fact has been overlooked by all...






The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bootLuca wrote:

it could also be that has taken singing lessons or have done treating the nodules in her throat. i'm really don't know...


Yeah, I suppose anything's possible.  But look at the chronology for a moment:

After the long Jazz tour, they had a few sessions in June/July for The Game.  On Crazy Little Thing Called Love he's still raspy, reaching for notes at the end of the song that are normally in his middle range, which probably means it was the first of the four songs to go down on tape, in June.  But then he sounds superb on Save Me and Coming Soon, so those were probably done in July.  He rested his voice after the sessions, and came out flying at the Saarbrucken show, as he knew he had nothing to lose.  Being a single show, he could go for all the high notes without worrying about 4 more shows that week.  That, and he probably learned a lot about his voice on that long tour, and had some newly-found confidence.

Yes, maybe he took some singing lessons, but I really doubt it.  He wasn't exactly the most humble person who could let someone tell him he needs to learn how to sing better.  I think it was a case of him being on the road to mastering his craft, and hitting an apex of sorts that summer.


"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
bootLuca user is on Queenzone.com
bootLuca
Royalty: 1186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Sir GH wrote:


Yeah, I suppose anything's possible.  But look at the chronology for a moment:

After the long Jazz tour, they had a few sessions in June/July for The Game.  On Crazy Little Thing Called Love he's still raspy, reaching for notes at the end of the song that are normally in his middle range, which probably means it was the first of the four songs to go down on tape, in June.  But then he sounds superb on Save Me and Coming Soon, so those were probably done in July.  He rested his voice after the sessions, and came out flying at the Saarbrucken show, as he knew he had nothing to lose.  Being a single show, he could go for all the high notes without worrying about 4 more shows that week.  That, and he probably learned a lot about his voice on that long tour, and had some newly-found confidence.

Yes, maybe he took some singing lessons, but I really doubt it.  He wasn't exactly the most humble person who could let someone tell him he needs to learn how to sing better.  I think it was a case of him being on the road to mastering his craft, and hitting an apex of sorts that summer.


Yes, I think your theory is the most plausible...
at that time something happened in the head and in the voice of Freddie... I'd be really curious to know what .. [img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img]








on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And I agree with Sir GH too!

I'll dig out this gig again and listen carefully. A great FM-show is always a pleasure to listen to.
As Sir GH says, Freddie constantly worked on his skills. So, for a not very humble he at least acknowledged to himself his flaws:-)


on my way up
pogor1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
pogor1
Bohemian: 246 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 09, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank You for this recording on tracker again !
  
   


Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 09, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks again, Olivier. This is such a treat. Even though the sound is quite distant, the sheer power of their playing allows us to listen to the music fairly well for most of the recording. It's a good document or register of an amazing peformance by the whole band.

 



Freddie sings the higher verses of "Death On Two Legs" trying to be as faithful to the album as possible - he even tries to mimick the texture of the studio vocals. Later on, he'd sing it even better, just like in one of the gigs in Argentina, but at the expense of the clever compromise between the demanding high notes and the somber texture - a compromise that is reached just beautifully in this recording. Lines such as "All my money..." are given the right delivery, in that they're neither over- nor understated, but properly textured and equally, squarely sung.



This version of "If You Can't Beat Them" is definitive in terms of performance - Freddie's vocals are so powerful in the higher register that one has a harder time than usual telling Roger's timber from his in such killer lines as the one starting with "hanging around". : -) You know Roger is there, but their voices are dwelling in the same register so well that they just blend magically and perfectly.



All this can be heard in a recording the sound quality of which is quite poor. But we must be thankful that a document of the performance does exist, if for no other reason as a reminder of what they could do live.



Brian's playing in "If You Can't Beat Them" is ridiculously good.



In short, it's a wonderful performance.



Thanks Olivier!



 




Yara
maggiko foka user not visiting Queenzone.com
maggiko foka
Bohemian: 273 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 09, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope someone might like to have this in torrent
I tried the old one but it seems dead

Please find it here
http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1199365/1979-08-18-saarbrucken-2nd-gen-flac-torrent.aspx

Thanks to Ruth for being so kind to Yara
Thanks to Yara for having such good taste

Thanks to QZ

Ciao a tutti
Stefano


bokkepoot user not visiting Queenzone.com
bokkepoot
Royalty: 1941 posts
add to buddy list send PM

angelrulax user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 77 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jan 12, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thnak you very much