Bohemian: 411 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1) Played Sun City

2) Collaborated with 5ive

3) Decided that it was a good idea to release 'Greatest Hits 3'

4) Come up with 'The Miracle' album cover

5) Written and performed 'Cool Cat'

Any thoughts/additions/different takes?  Was unsure what to drop for the Breathru video but decided to leave those 5 in there!

He's my best friend he's my champion
mike hunt user is on Queenzone.com

Deity: 2754 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well, I like cool cat, so you could change that, lol.   For me queen were from 1971 to 1991 or 95, so I'll keep within those years. 
1. let roger's songs be on Jazz, his 2 songs bring down the album
2. lets loser in the end be on queen2
3. release body language as a single
4. hot space should have been like the live version, heavier.

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. Turning away from their heavy metal roots in the 80's by releasing pop crap like Hot Space and other awful lightweight drivel.
2.The 5ive collaboration.
3. The Robbie Williams Collaboration (note 2 and 3 can only really be blamed on Brian and Roger)
4. Freddie had come out and said he had aids earlier. Holly Johnson and Magic Johnson both were HIV positive, perhaps, just perhaps earlier awareness may have stopped him having full blown aids or slowed his illness
5. Belouis Some supporting at Knebworth, truly fucking terrible.

"Give it to me one more time!"
Angeline user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Hot Space - it was mildly disappointing from Queen, but is in general a great album.  Cool Cat is a chilled-out sng and I love it, it reminds me of cocktails in the sun.

1.  If you can't beat em on Jazz (I really hate it) and 'In Only Seven Days' and More of That Jazz.
2. Freddie wearing breasts on stage in Brazil.
[3. Not going through with freddie's idea of riding a giant cock into a mustachioed mouth over wembley stadium 1986 (tehee).]
3. Choosing wrong record label in US who didn't promote them properly.
4. Freddie not having protected sex.
5. Sorry but everything after Made In Heaven.

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie not having protection while having sex isn't a Queen decision, it was plain stupid. waste of talent. freddie is probably saying the same thing from the other side, though no ones perfect, so lets not Judge. i could make the same stupid mistake....hot space was disapointing, but it's still a fun album. cool cat is among freddie's best vocal performances IMO...   I think almost everything post freddie (I like made in heaven) is not very good.  One big mess.

Angeline user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know, I meant from the effect it had on Queen (as in QPR, Robbie Williams etc would never have happened), but yes your right, technically it's not appropriate. My tongue was firmly wedged in my cheek anyhow

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know

lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish they made more of an attempt with Flash Gordon :P

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Hot Space album

Allowing John Farham near We Will Rock You

Freddie dying of Aids(what a waste of fabulous talent)

The collabaration with 5ive

Allowing Robbie Williams anywhere near a Freddie song

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen should've never...

... included film excerpts in the Flash Gordon album, flawing an interesting instrumental soundtrack with speeches from a movie no one remembers or watches anymore.

... included The Loser in the End in Queen II.

... thought that The Miracle cover was a good idea.

... thought that plaguing GH3 with solo music was the concept of what a GH albums should be.

... decided to keep calling themselves Queen after 1995. As a result, every single mistake they done onwards got the fancy 'Queen' label stuck on it.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 20:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1 Put "Leaving Home Ain't Easy" on record. Terrible song.
2 Have the same setlist over and over again within a tour. I wish they would have had a more roling setlist
3 Release most post Made In heaven crap
4 Not videotape the feeds from the big screens from concerts like Knebworth 1986
5 Hire Greg Brooks.

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

decided to make the Hot Space album

P.A
JacquesDaniels user not visiting Queenzone.com
JacquesDaniels
Bohemian: 123 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 09, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another negatively energetic topic. Hooray.
Just to keep in mind that it really is a matter opinion on this particular topic, I'll try to voice my thoughts as personally as I can, without any reference to reality and the current happenings whatsoever. But I have to defend Queen's rights as artists in a couple of things first.

To quote Freddie about Hot Space, "it's only a bloody record..." To be sure, as is evident enough even today, people tend to get way too excited about relatively unimportant things that are beyond their control. I happen to like it all the more for the reason that so many of you guys hate it. But it's definitely more interesting, musically speaking, than any Queen members' solo efforts (sans Barcelona) and definitely stands on its own however awkwardly. Music is an artform, it's meant to cause feelings. The extremer, the better. If it doesn't raise your ire or earn your esteem, and instead causes a bland "meh", then it has failed in its mission. Most of modern music is such.

Same goes for the Miracle cover art, really. You can form a definite opinion of it, hence it works. If it can be horribly bad in someone's opinion, then logically it is brilliant in someone else's. I don't love it, but at least it's different.

Anyway, my Top 5 Things I Wish Queen HADN'T Done...

5. Release Live Magic, when they could have just as well released the Wembley show in its stead in 1986. Or perhaps even compile a full length live album of the tour, in a similar vein to Live Killers, but with comprehensive liner notes. On that note, they should've put more information on Live Killers as well.
4. Written so many blatantly regular straightforward rock songs. Instead they could have explored the progressive, ethnic, folk and classical approaches to their music a lot more. Not to mention, the r'n'b/funk/disco material. Without synths and drum machines.
3. Released so many uncalled for compilation albums.
2. Waited until the last possible minute to release the so-called bookend material.
1. Quit existing as the entity of the original four. Unfortunately, some things could not be avoided.

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 09, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right now I can remember just two:
- release  "Body Language" as a single
- a lot what happend after 1997

peterkoz1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 102 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 09, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what the Boys did in there personal life remains for them to decide but music/production here goes:

1: invisible man (absolute trash)
2: not release knebworth
3: terrible video for WATC
4: terrible video for dont stop me now
5 Absolute Greatest ?? whats the point

hi freddie
Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4681 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 09, 09:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lots of bits and pieces, but mainly I wish they had saved their solo careers until after Queen finished. If a lot of the solo songs they worked on were given the Queen treatment, we (probably) would've had better quality albums in the 1980s, double studio albums, better b-sides etc. I also wish they wouldn't have relied so much on synths in the 1980s. It made them lazy. Can't imagine Brian making the work of genius that is 'Good Company' in quite the same way if the 'no synths' policy wasn't operating.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 09, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shitty collaborations.  There's more than 5 so I don't need to elaborate.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 09, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Folks, gotta get over the negativity about the endless compilations.  Once a band splits, someone dies, they quit, whatever, the compilation is the main method of keeping the existing music recycled.  It's pure marketing.  Nothing more.  Not everyone is the dedicated fan that we purport to be. 

"5. Release Live Magic, when they could have just as well released the Wembley show in its stead in 1986."

Marketing again.  This was at a time - which is kinda still there - that double albums simply didn't sell big. 

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 09, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Shitty collaborations.  There's more than 5 so I don't need to elaborate.

yah... how i forghot about collaborations.... it was so bad too!

P.A
coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 401 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 09, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1.  Leotards
2.  Between-song banter  like "You lot of old tarts", "were gonna do something in the funk, black catagory", "We were gonna have an oechestra" etc etc.  Just sing already.
3. Kashoggis ship, Party, Hitman.  
4. The video for Backchat
5. Those awful mimed performances in San Marino