Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Mistakes left on Queen releases

forum rss feed
Author

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, I'd like to have further knowledge on any mistakes left on final mixes/releases of any Queen songs and would like to if anyone else has spotted any?

I recently noticed in the 5.1 mix of Save Me that Freddie's voice seems to crack around the 3.05-3.08 (ch1) (it's in another post on the Serious D page) We discussed whether it was intentionally left there, or a genuine mistake not noticed.

Sebastian said that "maybe 99% of the things that stayed in 'had to' be 'perfect', but there's always that remaining 1%, and the voice-break in Save Me can be part of it".

I'm not taking him literally to the 1%, but I''d like to discuss any other mistakes on any Queen songs. I had them down personally as four perfectionists and was surprised that something as simple as a voice break would be left in. i know they are only human, but all the reading I've done made me feel that they - Brian and Freddie especially - wouldn't let such mistakes see the light of day on any officially released product.

Please discuss...

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the best known thing is the "click" during Fat Bottomed Girls on Queen Rocks.
Also I remember some annoying background hiss on the beginning of Bohemian Rhapsody on one of the early remasters, I just don't remember which one was it

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember that the first Hollywood Records batch had a few of those, for instance on NOTW the first chord of It's Late was missing and maybe there was some noise right before My Melancholy Blues? Not sure, though.

My Sheer Heart Attack CD from HR is missing a couple of bars of In The Lap of the Gods, in the part of the "Ahh, Oooh"s before "Leave it in the laaaap of the Goooooodsssss..."

Another mastering/mixing error on the Hollywood Records edition of The Miracle. I Want it All is missing one repetition of the first chorus.

These are not errors on the recording of the instruments but mostly post production fuck ups by third parties and not properly Queen Productions.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The first cd-releases from the 80's are full of mistakes as well.
Mainly tracks cut in the wrong place, noise, and for instance some songs starting with a fade in where there should be an immediate start (You & I comes to mind)...
A fail that most of those early EMI discs suffer from, btw. (The Pink Floyd, Stones and Beatle discs that were released at the same time for example.)

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One mistake which I clearly remember and which annoys me a lot is some hiss on Bohemian Rhapsody (maybe that's what Pittrek meant).  It's very audible along with the line "Goodbye everybody...." I can hear it on both CDs- A Night At The Opera and Greatest Hits.  And guess what... it's as well audible on CD from Singles Collection 1! On each CD with the same line.
Is it possible to buy this album without it?

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Niek did a project on this a couple of years back I think, dunno if he still has the file.

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks to you all for replying, for the sake of argument though, could we keep it to original versions that were given the thumbs up from the four boys or even producer... i.e the hiss in Bo rap as stated and not remastered cut ups which possibly wouldn't have been the boys' faults but those editing (which may have been them i suppose but I'd rather know about originals).

wilk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't there a click on Bo Rap during 'little high, little low'?

I always thought it was the CD bringing out clicks from the mixing desk that hadn't been audible before.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wilk wrote:

Isn't there a click on Bo Rap during 'little high, little low'?

I always thought it was the CD bringing out clicks from the mixing desk that hadn't been audible before.

Thats just the fader moving from left to right, its the in breath you can hear.

Body Language was accidentally put on Hot Space.

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A couple of "jumps" in Man on the prowl... and a bad copy and paste in the last seconds of Dont lose your head.

And no one seems to hear a strange voice in BoRhap. during the "I dont wanna die.."... there is a voice!!!

Queen rocks!
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

I think the best known thing is the "click" during Fat Bottomed Girls on Queen Rocks.
Also I remember some annoying background hiss on the beginning of Bohemian Rhapsody on one of the early remasters, I just don't remember which one was it

yeah... this click, i remember to heard it on Queen Rocks...

P.A
vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a very low click at the very end of Love Of My Life.

One doubt I've always had on Radio Ga Ga is where Freddie sings the "Radio what's new?" part for the second time... it abruptly breaks into "someone still loves you". When played this live, they always include another "radio" in the middle as in the first part of the song. Bad editing?

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still swear there was not as much of a gap between WWRY/WATC on vinyl as there now is on CD.  On vinyl, WATC started up immediately after WWRY, while on CD there is more silence between the two.  But no one ever believes me so it will never be fixed  :)

Also on the Hollywood Records CD of Live Killers, it fades out a few seconds later at the very end than it did on vinyl.  On the CD, it sounds like some doors are slammed shut at the end before fading out; this was never on the record.

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
QUEENexpert user not visiting Queenzone.com
QUEENexpert
Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think that part in Radio Ga Ga might just be the way the song is written. That second part where they say "radio whats new, someone still loves you," they meant to leave that extra "radio" out. I;ve never heard it any different way. thats how it is in the video too.

"Black on, black on, every fingernail and toe we've only begun begun."
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wow man... have a lot of mistakes , MyGod

P.A
A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1786 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mistakes on Queen Albums, You say?

All the Hollywood Records "Modern Style" Remixes, were big mistakes, if you ask me. lol.

Joyful the sound
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 22:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Judging from the thread which prompted Van Basten9 to create this one, I think he means mistakes in performance. Am I right!?

Yara
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 09, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mistakes on drums: Some things at the end of The Hitman.

Mistakes on percussion: One of the clicks in Killer Queen is off-beat; the timpano on the second 'Bismilah' comes a bit late.

Mistakes on bass: A couple of notes in Sidewalk, Prophet's Song and Brighton Rock.

Mistakes on guitars: Fat Bots (dissonant G/F chord at the beginning of the break), a small part near the end of Breakthru, a couple of notes during the wah-wah part in Great King Rat, an odd note in one of the Rhapsody rhythm tracks (covered by the other instruments + vocals).

Mistakes on piano: A glitch during Lap of the Gods; on that particular song there's a bit where LH-P and bass do an unison descending scale, one of them (don't remember which one) plays the wrong notes (they did it right when on stage so it wasn't an intentional dissonance). Some of the Flash vamps are a bit off in terms of rhythm (very briefly though).

Mistakes on vocals: Some off-pitch notes in Sweet Lady (lead track, cleverly covered by a huge layer of harmonies) and Cool Cat. The bass-voice in Bo Rhap is also a bit off sometimes (not as much as the outtakes but still).

Mistakes on synths: Using them.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 00:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Mistakes on drums: Some things at the end of The Hitman.

Mistakes on percussion: One of the clicks in Killer Queen is off-beat; the timpano on the second 'Bismilah' comes a bit late.

Mistakes on bass: A couple of notes in Sidewalk, Prophet's Song and Brighton Rock.

Mistakes on guitars: Fat Bots (dissonant G/F chord at the beginning of the break), a small part near the end of Breakthru, a couple of notes during the wah-wah part in Great King Rat, an odd note in one of the Rhapsody rhythm tracks (covered by the other instruments + vocals).

Mistakes on piano: A glitch during Lap of the Gods; on that particular song there's a bit where LH-P and bass do an unison descending scale, one of them (don't remember which one) plays the wrong notes (they did it right when on stage so it wasn't an intentional dissonance). Some of the Flash vamps are a bit off in terms of rhythm (very briefly though).

Mistakes on vocals: Some off-pitch notes in Sweet Lady (lead track, cleverly covered by a huge layer of harmonies) and Cool Cat. The bass-voice in Bo Rhap is also a bit off sometimes (not as much as the outtakes but still).

Mistakes on synths: Using them.

Nice.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 02:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't it time for someone to take a shot at Hot Space yet?