Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The definitive 'Queen' audiophile thread

forum rss feed
Author

John S Stuart user is on Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This idea came to me after listening to the new Beatles remasters. So here it is:

I don't believe the definitive Queen CD set exists, so why don't we at Queenzone create one?
Album by album, track by track, burning a definitive QZ collection.

We have a number of CD's (or like Opera DVD/a) to choose one. EMI original release, US Hollywood, Japanese, UK reissues etc.

The rules are simple. Queen CD's only. Best tracks only. Album by album - so starting at the beginning with 'Queen'.

I like the Hollywood remaster and would use this as my beginning CD.
So what tracks from which disc would make the ultimate audoiphile debut album?

Any discussion?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was thinking about something similar the other day but I wasn't going to go to a per-track level of detail. I would have chosen the Hollywood Records release for that particular album as well but I can't go into detail track per track without going back to listening to them.

Good topic, though. Hopefully someone will answer to the level of detail you propose.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was thinking about that too. A two disc version for every album would be nice (demos, b-sides,outtakes, live tracks)

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When we start with the 'Queen' album I suggest the De Lane Lea demos should be on disc 2 as a bonus as well as 'Mad The Swine'

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you reading my mind ?
I planned doing something similar for myself, but I don't have enough "versions" :) I say let's do it and a bonus disc is again a great idea

John S Stuart

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So if enough of us agree, (and what is the harm in revisiting each album - track by track) is it possible to come up with the definitive (by that I mean best sounding) Queen collection?

For me, anything is better than the original EMI CD releases. Anyone disagree?

Also, I know Hollywood muck up in later discs - but we can cross that bridge at the time.

So basically, Queen Hollywood Vs Queen Japan?

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about those four MFSL discs?  Those sounded pretty good, but you guys are more qualified to answer that.  I guess those are from the Hollywood source tapes, though.

John S Stuart

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes - but we are just working on the initial debut album to start with.
Is there an MSFL for the dbut disc?

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John, didnt you used to do a similar album by album 'ultimate collection' or something, on that other Queen site a few years ago?

TerrorOfKnowing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've actually considered making myself a collection like this out of tracks I already have as well. If for nothing else than to keep everything organized in one place. I mean, let's face it, QPL is never going to give us the box set of our dreams so really, it's up to us. I think, when available, a truly definitive "set" for each album should be multimedia and include the following:
- the album itself (from the best sounding source)- b-sides- outtakes / demos- alternative mixes of tracks (ex. single versions. remixes, etc)- interviews / television appearances from the era / specifically about the era (ie. "the press" section)- at least one full corresponding concert (audio or video)- music videos- any other bits and bobs applicable for the era as bonuses or easter eggs (ex. here something like the Brian May Star Licks section being attatched to The Works set since it was done around the same time)
I realize this is a dream set, but that's what we're doing here, is it not? Dreaming or creating this for ourselves. Why SHOULDN'T it be all inclusive?

And If I'm Very Slow, She Makes Me So...
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is no MSFL disc for the debut album.

So, unless someone comes up and argues that the Japanese releases of Queen (1998, 2001) sound better than the HR version, we would conclude that it's the Hollywood Record version for the debut album. I know that's the one I play whenever I listen to it. The bonus tracks are great, also!

Talking about Japanese remasters, were there remasters in 2004 as well or were those the same as the 2001 ones? Don't mean to change the topic, a quick answer will do.

John S Stuart

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote:

John, didnt you used to do a similar album by album 'ultimate collection' or something, on that other Queen site a few years ago?

No: That 'ultimate collection' was an attempt to catalogue all Queen, solo, collaborative and cover versions etc.
So that 'checklist' was really one of availability.

What I was thinking of was upping the anti a little.
With all the various remasters and versions out there, this new list is all about 'quality', rather than availability.
So what are the best quality sound sources available?

I was hoping for some conflict and some consenus. Only after a public debate can we then say the best tracks according to QZ are...

Remember some of the Greatest Hits DVDs offer better sound than the CDs.

mooghead

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry mate but I'm not one of those fans who go out and buys every edition of every album so cant really help. I have the Hollywood remasters and they sound great to me, apart from the various unintentional edits obviously. My hi fi equipment has never really been high end enough to hear any discernable difference to be honest.

mooghead

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For what its worth those ultimate collections you did could do with another airing on this site, always sparked plenty of debate about what might be out there.....

John S Stuart

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps a poll or a panel would be better?

I am loath to say that the Hollwood remaster of Queen is the best so far until we start pulling in a few more votes and opinions, but so far, all (who have replied) think Hollywood have got this one correct.

Any opinions about the Japanese remasters?

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great progress in this topic already.
I suggest we use this topic for the debut album only. When all is discussed and we have a final track list (including a nice set of bonus material on disc 2) we can open a new topic for the next album.
In the end all topics can be made sticky or indexed so that's it's clear for everyone where to find them.

As far as the debut album is concerned: I think the Hollywood issue is the best sounding one. 

Bonus disc suggestions:

De lane Lea demos
Mad the swine
Keep yourself alive (long lost retake / acetate version)
Great King rat (bbc)
Great King Rat (convention recording)
Keep Yourselrf Alive (bbc)
Liar (bbc)
My Fairy King (bbc)
Modern Times Rock 'n' Roll (bbc)
Polar Bear (Queen version)
Silver Salmon
Son and daughter (bbc)

and maybe the instrumentals from the Eye or the greatest kareoke hits could be included too...

pittrek

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Perhaps a poll or a panel would be better?

I am loath to say that the Hollwood remaster of Queen is the best so far until we start pulling in a few more votes and opinions, but so far, all (who have replied) think Hollywood have got this one correct.

Any opinions about the Japanese remasters?

I personally love the Japanese remasters of the 70's albums, the 80's are worse and Innuendo & MIH suck. The live albums are excellent.
However I don't have the Hollywood remasters so I can't compare

pittrek

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Copying from an older thread

" Oh well, since this is here anyway I'll try to answer your slightly more specific question. I have at least 2 versions of each so I'll list which one I'd grab:

"Queen" - Hollywood version 1991. A warmer, not-so-harsh and tinny sound compared to the 2001 which actually hurts my ears at times.

"Queen II" - Hollywood 1991 again. While the 2001 version never hurts my ears, it does venture into the same type of sound. And I actually listened to the 2001 version last night and swore I heard some very minor but noticeable drop-outs.

"Sheer Heart Attack" - 2001 remaster for sure. Much fuller sound."A Night At The Opera" - 30th Anniversary, and preferably the DVD's PCM track which is noticeably better than the standard CD due to the higher sampling rate.

"A Day At The Races" - 2001 remaster. Flawless I think and a significant improvement over 1991.

"News Of The World" - 2001 remaster, absolutely. This is one of the two best of the 2001s. Big, rich sound that blows other versions away.

"Jazz" - Tough call. I'm gonna say the 1991 version because again, there's a warmth there which is missing on the over-loud, bit-too-tinny 2001 version. UK version from 1994 has a glitch during the intro of Fat Bottomed Girls which was carried over to 'Rocks'.

"Live Killers" - 2001 version all the way. This version sounds more rich and full than the weak 1991 version.

"The Game" - 2001 version. This is tied with NOTW as my favorites of the 2001 series. I've tried the PCM from the DVD-A and it was lacking something, and the 1991 version is totally lacking a fullness/bass.

"Flash Gordon" - 2001 version. Much like 'Live Killers', this isn't a very well-produced album and the 2001 remaster at least improves it slightly.

"Greatest Hits" - 2001 version, which is also contained in the U.S. Platinum Collection (not the European version) and "Greatest Hits - WWRY Edition". Major improvement from the early 90s UK version.

"Hot Space" - 2001 version. Excellent sound and much richer than the 1991 version.

"The Works" - This one kinda parallels 'Jazz'. Again, I think the 1991 version is slightly more pleasing sounding.. the 2001 is a bit too loud and kinda flat sounding.

"A Kind of Magic" - Very tough call. I actually like the sound of the 2001 version, though once it was pointed out that there was midrange missing, I heard it too.. I guess technically I'd have to say the 1991 version is more like it should be. I love this one as a 2004 card sleeve though.. being a gatefold and with such rich artwork.

"Live Magic" - 2001 version without a doubt. The 1996 Hollywood version is very weak compared to this. Major improvment.

"The Miracle" - Here again, like AKOM, if you like a sort of V-shaped EQ pattern like myself, the missing midrange won't bother you and this will sound nice. And since the 1991 Hollywood version has an alternate mix of 'I Want it All', this 2001 version is my best choice for an original representation of the album. I have the 1989 Capitol version
as well and it's quite weak sounding compared to either of those.

"Innuendo" - original 1991 version. 2001 remaster is horrible at times. 'I Can't Live With You' sounds really harsh, other tracks sound weak.. they botched this one when remastering.

"Greatest Hits II" - 2001 version is much cleaner sounding, doesn't have that 'compressed' sound
that the original 1991 version had. Plus they've restored the endin

The end was truncated during the SQL injection attack

John S Stuart

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pittrick: Excellent list there.

I guess it would be easier to do it that way - but I was looking for a Queenzone concensus rather than any one personal opinion.

The debut album seems to be easy - but remember it will get harder eg: I believe the 'Teo Torriate' HQ remix may not be bettered, but that is only on one album.

So what is the best way forward?
Poll, sticky, committee, average opinion?
Remebber this is not my thread - I will go with the flow if I am overwhelmed with disagreement.

mooghead

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I fear if the thread is limited to those that have at least 3 different editions of every album you may have little response.