Forums > Queen - General Discussion > A Day at the Races

forum rss feed
Author

qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Sep 09, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Day at the Races was the next album after the best known Queen Studio Album A Night at the Opera and kept the same Marx Brothers theme going however. A Day at the Races is a classic album with the usual Orchestral and virtuso Brian May at work however the album lacked the same Heavy Feel from previous albums, Freddie with his fine vocals and piano flourishes and his intelligent way of producing music and vocals, Roger Taylor, Not playing the same Drum role as in previous works but still influential and last but not least John Deacon playing his bass at his best or most comfertable. However despite having the Classic Hit Somebody to Love, the album was a chang in direction for Queen as their style moved from the Classic Hard Rock/Progressive Rock style and the album also proved to be the last of Queen's iconic 70s backing vocal harmonies. Was this a mistake or was this the start to Queen being a more Po/Rock orientated band with big singles. You can say Queen were not the same after A Day at the Races neither was A Kind of Magic but if this was to prove to be a good thing or a bad thing is down to personal opinions. If Bohemian Rhapsody and Queen did not become so big maybe the next album would have been different. But I'd like to know from you: Was A Day at the Races a Good Album or a Disapointing Album, Should Queen have continued their heavy sound and was a change in Queen's career.

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 09, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Definitely a great album. All the ideas they started exploring in a more exhaustive and polished way in ANATO still had a lot of potential and deserved a further development. Anything released after ANATO would have been regarded as a decline, I guess, but they still managed to put out a wonderful album which is for sure one of Queen's best - in a sense, it's stronger than ANATO in terms of consistency. There was no I'm In Love With My Car or Sweet Lady this time: the album was very good from start to finish. However, It never sparkles just like ANATO did for lack of masterpieces which could rival such songs as "Bohemian Rhapsody", "39", "Prophet's Song", "Love of My Life", "Seaside Rendezvous", and "Good Company". If you take into account that the aforementioned songs are all in ONE album, it's hard not to see anything that followed as the beginning of a downfall.

Judged on its own and without the burden of comparison with ANATO, though, it's a great album featuring some of Queen's best songs. ADATR is arguably - not to me, I prefer "News Of The World", but I can see why some would like ADATR better - the best post-ANATO era album

That such great albums as A Day At The Races & News of The World should be followed by such a vulgar, bad-produced and, except for a few tracks, uninspired album as Jazz was a sign that Queen was starting its plunge into mediocrity. They managed to recover briefly with The Game, but from then on the band was as good as any other - it delivered occasional hits but was overall insipid. When things seemed to start getting better again with Innuendo, it was unfortunately too late already.

My top 3 favorite songs from this album:

1) Teo Torriatte
2) White Man
3) Somebody To Love

Yara
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2757 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 09, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A day at the races was a great release,  and was actually more consistent than a night at the opera.  I have it at #3. only behind queen2 and opera.  Solid album, but no way was it gonna have so many huge moments like opera did.  The only thing that races could have had was one more heavy song like tie your mother down.

pepi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 09, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Such a fantastic album-simly love it.My favorite songs is -Teo torriate,Drowse,Somebody to love and You and I.

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 09, 04:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's all about Tie Your Mother Down! That song never fails to make me headbang. I love that song so much that I even like the WASP cover, and WASP is a band I really hate.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment

Posted: 17 Sep 09, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol, when did wasp cover that song?....I listened to wasp in the mid eighties, and don't remember them covering tie your mother down.

Posted: 17 Sep 09, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's exactly the reason you haven't heard it. It's on one of their 90's albums, Still Not Black Enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_5PqRNFEyY

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 09, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

That's exactly the reason you haven't heard it. It's on one of their 90's albums, Still Not Black Enough.

That's a pretty good cover.

Posted: 17 Sep 09, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lalaalalaa wrote:

Saif wrote:

That's a pretty good cover.
Then tie your mother down!!!

peterkoz1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 102 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 09, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

followed up ANATO with ADATR these boys were pure genius !!

hi freddie
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 09, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

It's all about Tie Your Mother Down! That song never fails to make me headbang. I love that song so much that I even like the WASP cover, and WASP is a band I really hate.

yeah.... for me Tie Your Mother Down make the Cd a sucess... and can't forghet about Drowse, with magnific Roger's voice ;D

P.A

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

somebody to love is still genious,  and the millionare waltz is brilliant. The whole album is great.

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

somebody to love is still genious,  and the millionare waltz is brilliant. The whole album is great.

For me, Somebody to Love is the highlight of the album.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh yea, somebody to love is the highlight.  let's have a little fun from best to worst. Every song is good.
1. somebody to love-  Brillaint
2. millionare waltz-  genious
3. tie your mother down- classic
4. you take my breath away- fred at his best
5. let us cling together- beautiful
6. you and I-  john does it again
7. long away-  Good song, A nice sound to this one.
8. white man-  pretty good,  a much needed rocker.
9. drowse-  my least favorite, but still solid. roger's voice is Good.

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I first bought it, I immediately loved the intro. Also, I want to underline White Man.

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

oh yea, somebody to love is the highlight.  let's have a little fun from best to worst. Every song is good.
1. somebody to love-  Brillaint
2. millionare waltz-  genious
3. tie your mother down- classic
4. you take my breath away- fred at his best
5. let us cling together- beautiful
6. you and I-  john does it again
7. long away-  Good song, A nice sound to this one.
8. white man-  pretty good,  a much needed rocker.
9. drowse-  my least favorite, but still solid. roger's voice is Good.

great avaliation.... ;D

P.A
maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[img=/images/smiley/msn/shades_smile.gif][/img] It's a great album end of

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ADATR is fantastic. I personally think it's better than ANATO.

For me only White Man was poor, I think it was a very weak song from Queen and out of place on this album.

ANATO minus Bo Rap may not have been such a hit i think, and ADATR could have then been their Sgt Peppers.

Very strong songs in Somebody To Love, Millionaire Waltz, Tie Your Mother Down, with Somebody To Love in my top 3 Queen songs, with Love of my Life and Save Me (and no, I've not just been dumped lol).

I remember when I first listened to it... I had the house to myself when I was younger and sat on the living room floor listening on my new stereo and was in absolute awe of the great continuity and wonderful tunefulness (if a word) of this album. I kept listening to Millionaire Waltz on repeat after giving it a full listen.

I don't think they went downhill afterwards, they just sadly began sounding more like their 80s competition, with the same pop orientation of the decade. I read in other posts some users saying they got lazy having made it big, which resulted in poorer output, but i respectfully disagree and think they put just as much in to each release to please their fans (it was just more difficult to be original after their first 5 albums).

I agree with Yara that Jazz was very poor though, give or take a few songs. Most sounded like filler songs, and the album from a production point of view sounded extremelypoor which i think is VERY neglectful and unforgivable.

PS... I remember writing You Take My Breath Away out on a valentine card for my then girlfriend and tried passing it off as my own little poem lol. Sadly she heard me playing it shortly afterwards and wasn't too impressed that I'd try to fool her... tut tut

Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have always loved ADATR, however, it was never as popular among my friends as ANATO, so, it didn't get much play, back in Ancient Times. I always thought it was a lovely album, melodically...great sing along songs, with great vocal work by Freddie.
That being said, NOTW is also a favorite for me, and, again, just wasn't as popular with my friends.

And, I agree with Yara about Jazz, though, I always thought it was one of Freddie's better vocal albums. Sad that the songs just weren't up to par.

It is all random
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1019 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 09, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think A Day at the Races is the best album in the world...

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...