Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > WHY QUEEN IS THE GREATEST BAND EVER

forum rss feed
Author

itsmeskc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 29 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would like to list the reasons I believe QUEEN are the greatest band ever- replys to this topic might want to consider: did I leave a important supporting quality out? did I overstate a quality? is there a band that you think is greater or who comes in a close second or third?  or just respond to my overall brilliance! (no, seriously)
QUEEN is the greatest because:
1. The band reached a level of worldwide success (like groups such as beatles, stones, zep, floyd, etc,,) and unlike any other group that has achieved success like that and has a sizeable body of work, the band never had a personel change and the members had no significant success in a prior band (like jimmy page in yardbirds and of course no band can claim consistent lineup throughout career-i.e. beatles ringo/ stones ron wood/ floyd gilmour/ the who replaced keith moon/ sabbath many to mention dio gillan etc../ purple gillan glover) This I believe is very significant because it goes towards representing what a real band/group is- the concept of it. The idea and meaning of what the band is has substance- it's these members and these members only!
2.. The band had four great songwriters. (diversity)
3,  The band had three exceptional singers (roger and brian may not seem exceptional in the realm of freddies capability, but they sang lead vocal on some of their own songs in the 1970s that went far beyond what talent other bands 'lead' vocalist could do). (again, diversity).
4.  The band could and did write songs from a wide range of styles- even on just one release they were as diverse and versatile as their whole career ( like NOTW: all dead/melancoly blues/who needs you/sleepin on sidewalk/fight from the inside/its late  are all quite unlike any other on that album)
5,  The band at one time or another, and in some areas in all times of their reign, had single, album, and live performance success in every corner of the globe.
6.  The band had a live show that was heralded as one of the best; conquered south america before anyone else did; stole the show at Live Aid.
7.  The band has been awarded many accolades such as "best single last 25 years"  "best vocalist ever"  "best live gig ever"  etc,,, that attest to their level of achievement. success. and GREATNESS.
8,  The band is my favorite band of all time (and I like many others) and that in and of itself makes them the GREATEST! (cause of my earlier mention of 'brilliance'). Just kidding...kinda!
THERE YOU HAVE IT.

sc

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i totally agree..though i may be rather partial to your brilliance, and biased.

sc
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen arn't the greatest band ever. that belongs to the beatles. Even freddie and brian would say that.  I would say that Queen were better writers than zeppelin. I know I'm in the minority on that, but it's my opinion.  Queen were a top ten band of all time.  Probably at #6 or 7.

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I WOULD AGREE SOMEWHAT ON THE BEATLES COMMENT BECAUSE THEY ARE MY SECOND ALL TIME FAVORITE...BUT THE ZEPPELIN COMMENT I DONT THINK U R IN THE MINORITY  I THINK THAT BAND IS GOOD BUT OVERATED. ONE THING THE BEATLES HAD GOING FOR THEM BESIDES THE OBVIOUS SONGWRITING TALENTS WERE THREE GOOD SINGERS. BUT MUSICIANSHIP SPEAKING- THAT IS THE SKILL IN WHICH THE MEMBERS PLAY THEIR RESPECTIVE INSTRUMENTS- NO BAND TOUCHES QUEEN

sc
philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Beatles ! Oh please ! There was no body else around at that time. Queen were /are in competion with hundreds of bands.

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't want to come across as a beatles fanatic.  I'm not even a huge fan of them, but we have to face the facts. the beatles are the beatles.  Queen were great writers, I'll stand by my zeppelin comment.

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think there is the greatest band ever. It's a conflict of tastes. It varies from person to person. We all are diffrent and we like diffrent things. But we also like to fight for what we consider to be important for us....

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

in your opinion Queen is the greatest band ever, in my opinion Queen is the greatest band ever too, but have people who prefer Johnas Brothers....Do you understand what it  means?????

P.A
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QueenPaulo wrote:

in your opinion Queen is the greatest band ever, in my opinion Queen is the greatest band ever too, but have people who prefer Johnas Brothers....Do you understand what it  means?????

Yes (I guess), no escape from reality..

lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One reason Queen is my favorite is that they've played around 40 different genres of music.

Here's a video of it.  Please rate and leave comments (both good and bad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vwlfyzvX4

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

itsmeskc wrote:

BUT MUSICIANSHIP SPEAKING- THAT IS THE SKILL IN WHICH THE MEMBERS PLAY THEIR RESPECTIVE INSTRUMENTS- NO BAND TOUCHES QUEEN

You're saying the members of Queen are better instrumentalists than all of the following?

The Mothers
Chicago
Genesis
Yes
Rush
Dream Theater

Does this include funk and r&b ?  How about jazz trios?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

philip- u said QUEEN "was in competition with a hundred of other bands" in regards to being great...c'mon! there are not a hundred bands that have reached the level of beatles queen floyd etc...forget etc,,, ill name my favorites: the already mentioned plus  doors, alice cooper, sabbath  purple,, then there are zep, stones and some others who i acknowledge belong in that grouping but arent my favorite..of course there are some others  but there are plenty of good  bands that in my opinion dont belong with the aforementioned...like van halen or guns n roses or styx or skynyrd or ccr or journey....they r second tier bands....
Paulo-  of course its my opinion- and i realize that if i claim pepsi is better than coke it doesnt necessarily make it so-- but a large percentage of posts or statements on or in these type of internet forums are primarily opinion.
Sir GH- YES! EMPHATICALLY YES!!!! QUEEN are more talented than the bands u mentioned  CHICAGO? No where within the same league of musicianship..and RUSH  ok so alex lifeson is a good or great guitar player- but does he play the keyboards, sing, write, the piano, the ukele, the harp, and play a absolute exceptional acoustic guitar like Brian.. granted Neil Peart is probably a more powerful and technically more solid rock drummer than roger, but does he sing, write, play keyboards, bass guitar, rythym guitar like Roger does?  Quite frankly- NO BAND touches QUEEN in terms of versatility, diversity, and the level of proficiency with so many different instruments that they can play.

sc

iiiibrahiiim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my mind Pink Floyd (after Barrett) is greater.

One reason is that they never had weak moments like Hot Space...and certain cooperations...
Other reason is their music...songs like Echoes...albums like The Wall...
Also their live shows (The Wall)

Well,
Roger Taylor is probably the better drummer than Mason
Brian May is probably the better guitarist than Gilmour
Freddie of course the better singer than Waters/Gilmour
John probably better bassist than Waters

But it's Waters lyrics and Gilmour/Wrights/Waters music that make the difference

Led Zeppelin? OverOverrated.

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

iiiibrahiiim wrote:

In my mind Pink Floyd (after Barrett) is greater.

One reason is that they never had weak moments like Hot Space...and certain cooperations...
Other reason is their music...songs like Echoes...albums like The Wall...
Also their live shows (The Wall)

Well,
Roger Taylor is probably the better drummer than Mason
Brian May is probably the better guitarist than Gilmour
Freddie of course the better singer than Waters/Gilmour
John probably better bassist than Waters

But it's Waters lyrics and Gilmour/Wrights/Waters music that make the difference

Led Zeppelin? OverOverrated.

I don't consider Hot Space a weak moment, just different.  I love Hot Space.

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dragon-fly wrote:

QueenPaulo wrote:

yeah.... no scape from reality

P.A
una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QueenPaulo wrote:

dragon-fly wrote:

QueenPaulo wrote:

yeah.... no scape from reality

Queen are the best band - i.e. music and that's what it's about. plus so diverse. the good thing is that they dont need people like us to say their music is good, people listen to Queen and know that they were a shit hot band. they masterd SOUND.

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

itsmeskc wrote:

BUT MUSICIANSHIP SPEAKING- THAT IS THE SKILL IN WHICH THE MEMBERS PLAY THEIR RESPECTIVE INSTRUMENTS- NO BAND TOUCHES QUEEN

You're saying the members of Queen are better instrumentalists than all of the following?

The Mothers
Chicago
Genesis
Yes
Rush
Dream Theater

Does this include funk and r&b ?  How about jazz trios?

I really don't want to get into this, but I'll give you some of these bands are better musically than queen.  my honest opinion is queen were better writers than all those groups, and that's what makes the difference for me.  In the end it's all opinions.  I'm a big rush guy for years, but I always considered Queen the better writers.  Rush had the better musicians?....maybe.  Brian is IMO better than as lifson as a guitarist, while perts better than roger.  Geddy is better than deacon.  Freddie is a better singer and piano player than geddy.  Looks like tie to me.

QUEENexpert user not visiting Queenzone.com
QUEENexpert
Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 09, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How about we just say that QUEEN is a really amazing band and that there are a lot of other really good bands too. Can we agree on that?

"Black on, black on, every fingernail and toe we've only begun begun."