Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The GAY issue within QUEEN ( and the rock world).

forum rss feed
Author

Stelios user is on Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well i can think so many occasions when Freddie's homosexuality or flamboyance could have made the other members uncomfortable, taking notice that especially in the beginning they wanted to fit in the rock -world.
 From the name QUEEN , to the adaptation of the mustache, to the on-stage over the top capmness, to the actual truth that he had a different sexuality from the other 3.Of course Roger, Brian and John are not your everyday individuals copying with homophobia like the stupid majority of youngsters, especially those days.  
  But still when egos and artistic differences  came within,  i wonder if that friction never touched that area of Freddie's sexuality even as a joke. Any incidents you know, would be very use full.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is this what passes for a post on Queenzone....?

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why do you think they took 4 different limos?  It's very well documented that the 3 others absolutely hated Freddie and that his homosexuality caused HUGE frictions.

Well; isn't that what you wanted to hear? Heh...

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

??????????????????

P.A
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.computer wrote:

Is this what passes for a post on Queenzone....?

Are you asking about your post...or the one previous to your post?  [img=/images/smiley/msn/tounge_smile.gif][/img]

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If Brian, Roger and John did have a problem with Freddie's sexuality, then they would have left straight away. So in my opinion it was never a problem for them. And anyway, Freddie's initial image was more of an androgynous look, championed by the likes of David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust persona.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well no one told me,fred was gay..so much for good mates.

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You didn't need to post this twice.

And from all accounts, both before and after Freddie's death, that he was gay never seemed to be an issue. Freddie's stage persona was mostly an act, fashioned out of '70s gender-bending (David Bowie, Lou Reed, etc.) with an aim to get noticed and make an impact. He was pretty shy and interverted in real life, so they say, with the exception of loving a good party (who doesn't?). Roger and Brian knew Freddie before they formed Queen, both as friends, fellow musicians, and with he and Roger working at a clothing store together. By the time Smile broke up and they formed Queen, I'm sure there were few surprises or "uncomfortable" moments like you describe. Maybe they didn't know he was gay at first, but he was their friend and as such, they probably just rolled with it. I've had friends come out of the closest and it's never been uncomfortable (for me anyway). They don't stop being the person they were and most times they're happier after they make that discovery or accept that fact (neither of which I can imagine is easy). As for John, who arrived after Queen came together, I'm sure the same was true.

Queen, as a band name, covers many things. It's a short, simple, memorable name. It's royal meaning is known in many countries and languages. Yes, it also has gay connotations (drag queen, flamboyant person, etc.) and I'm sure the band were aware of them, but it all ties into the image they were trying to carve, something memorable and in-your-face. A new band in the '70s, fighting for radio and TV attention will employ every trick in the book!

Most of the disagreements I've read about were music-related, in the studio, fighting over the direction a song should take, or about lyrics or individual parts of a song. I doubt it ever got so personal as you imply with your question. If it did, obviously they learned to get over it, or past it, because they worked together for over 20 years.

Stelios user is on Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see you all took it very lightly.You see in my country it would probably be still an issue.And to be honest i can still see a barrier in the rock world and homosexuality (unfortunately), were you probably don't.
And you are right. I wanted to hear vicious stories about Brian saying that his fagot- mustache ruined the mystique of the Prophet-like songs, Roger calling Delilah a Fairies song, and John running naked and hiding before Freddie jumps all over him...and in a way he still is(hiding)!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was sooooooooooo gay that he covered up for the other guys.

Brian was a closet unisexual.  John was asexual.  And Roger... well... he was just Roger.

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 19:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

STELIOS wrote:

I see you all took it very lightly.You see in my country it would probably be still an issue.And to be honest i can still see a barrier in the rock world and homosexuality (unfortunately), were you probably don't.
And you are right. I wanted to hear vicious stories about Brian saying that his fagot- mustache ruined the mystique of the Prophet-like songs, Roger calling Delilah a Fairies song, and John running naked and hiding before Freddie jumps all over him...and in a way he still is(hiding)!

There is no way your from Greece if you think homosexuality is an issue there. Everyone in Greece is gay, even the fish!!

Arse.

Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 09, 22:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And, even those, according to Roger(one of the documentaries, I think, though I'm not certain as to which one), were not between Freddie and the others, but, mostly between Roger and Brian. Roger has said that Freddie was, contrary to popular belief, a joy to work with, and most often the one to find a way through the disagreement to a solution. And, I don't believe he mentioned Freddie's gayness at all.

rhyeking wrote:

Most of the disagreements I've read about were music-related, in the studio, fighting over the direction a song should take, or about lyrics or individual parts of a song. I doubt it ever got so personal as you imply with your question. If it did, obviously they learned to get over it, or past it, because they worked together for over 20 years.

It is all random
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 09, 00:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Falling somewhere on the LGBTQIA spectrum and being open about it always has potential to make or break a music career. It seems to me, for some odd reason, mainstream music media hasn't really opened its doors to queer musicians and artists until said acts establish their fanbase and bring in tons of money. SOME examples of some artists who didn't come out until they became popular:

- Melissa Etheridge
- Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day
- Dee Palmer of Jethro Tull
- Rob Halford of Judas Priest

Freddie was out, but not "out." His sexual orientation was, at best, implied but vague enough to the public to leave people debating about it to this day (as if it really matters). And I think because there was no official yes or no, it couldn't do too much damage to Queen (that is, until 1984 when we Americans couldn't handle a music video where guys dressed in drag). As far as his band mates' opinions on the subject, clearly they didn't have an issue if they worked with him for 20 years.

I will stop here because I could easily make this personal, but I don't particularly want to.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 09, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote: And Roger... well... he was just Roger.

"Hey quick, Freddie, what's that moving in the bushes?"

"Roger come back!  Oh honestly, you'd fuck anything with two legs".

"Who's counting, Freddie?".

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
tjleone user not visiting Queenzone.com
tjleone
Bohemian: 220 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 09, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day
Was he gay? He's married and fathered 2 children.

Freddie Mercury, Oct 29th,1982 "Now I can't f#@king stop 'em. STOP!!!!"
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 09, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

If Brian, Roger and John did have a problem with Freddie's sexuality, then they would have left straight away. So in my opinion it was never a problem for them. And anyway, Freddie's initial image was more of an androgynous look, championed by the likes of David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust persona.

yeahp... if they didn't like freddie's sexual opinion, they wouldn't have turned "Queen"

P.A
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 09, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tjleone wrote:

Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day
Was he gay? He's married and fathered 2 children.

In 1995 he came out as bisexual. To me, the "married with kids" excuse isn't a very good one. In the US, at least, same-sex marriage is legal in a number of states, and there's still domestic partnership in the states where it's not. Also, plenty of people cheat on their spouses, or have otherwise negotiated an open-marriage where one or both spouses can have other relationships. And anyone can have kids - whether through adoption, artificial insemination, or "the old-fashioned way."

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 09, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QueenPaulo wrote:

??????????????????

It was a joke.  Seems that jokes sometimes don't translate very well!  :)

tjleone user not visiting Queenzone.com
tjleone
Bohemian: 220 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 09, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To me, the "married with kids" excuse isn't a very good one
Yeah that's true. Rock Hudson comes to mind.

Freddie Mercury, Oct 29th,1982 "Now I can't f#@king stop 'em. STOP!!!!"
Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 09, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I get the impression it might have caused some problems.

-  I'm pretty sure Brian is not all that open minded about it.  He made a comment on his soapbox about Jim's book or about the Freddie's Loves documentary (or about both), I think answering to comments someone sent him about it,  that sounded to me more than a little homophobic.  So, considering that, I find it quite probable that they had some problems about that.

-  It seems pretty clear to me that by the late 70's, eary 80's they were having some problems.  That was exactly the time when Freddie came out and had boyfriends and was living a pretty promiscuous lifstyle.

- Brian dislikes Don't Stop me Now, which has clear gay references (and consider Freddie's jacket in the video).

-  Brian said in an interview how he "had a go" at Freddie for the lyrics of Body Language, because they were too clearly gay, and therefore didn't represent all of them, saying he tried to write songs in a way in which they didn't clearly refer to a waman so that Freddie could feel them when singing them as well (I'm not reading the interview now so it's by memory).

Them having stayed together doesn't mean the others didn't care about Freddie's sexuality.  Just that they didn't care that much, or just dealt with it.

"All you need is love"