Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What bands did Queen used to listent to?

forum rss feed
Author

Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Sep 09, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi...I´ve always wondered what kind of music Queen were used to listent to...I know they were four different persons, each one of them with opposite music interest and tastes...I also know they liked bands and musicians like Beatles, Jimmy Hendrix, and Led Zeppelin...but that was  until 70´s...wasn´t it?..I heard Freddie hated Punk or bands like the clash..but he loved arheta franklin, and I remember a Brian picture where he was wearing an AC/DC t-shirt...but I always saw that Queen didn´t get involved with other bands..(lik the Stones or GNR sharing stage with other bandas) like if they were a little antisocials (Freddie Tribute does not count here)...but what about the 80´s and 90´s..What kind of music did they buy or listen?...I guess Deacon Jhon was a very tranquil guy, getting home just to relax with some pop, soul orienteted music..I don´t see Jhon buying an Iron Maiden album, just to say something...what about Roger?...anybody can shed some light?....
Thanks!

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 09, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the early days Brian also liked The Shadows. Roger always liked Bob Dylan.
In 80s, Brian mentioned as favourite Def Leppard, Extreme, clearly- Van Halen. Once he said about "Tracks Of My Tears" Smokey Robinson- "the best record ever made, I'm going to die with that playing"(1985). They were good friends with Aerosmith. Freddie liked Culture Club and Tears For Fears.  But I don't remember anything about John.

qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 09, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Deacon liked Stevie Wounder and The Police. Freddie Liked Aretha Franklin and Roger liked the Who, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. Freddie's favourite Band was actually The Jacksons. Brian's musical interests was vary varied. He liked Dixie Land Jazz Band. I don't know Queen liked people like Rush.

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 09, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul Rogers!  :)

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 09, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ledd, Hendrix, Cream, Beatles.....

P.A
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 09, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's been documented in several books that all four were fans of Hendrix. Didn't Smile actually opened for Hendrix once? I remember a story that he hustled past Tim Staffell as he was about to go on and asked him "hey man which way to the stage?" I think they were all Who fans too. The poster above was correct when he said Freddie enjoyed the Jackson 5. Back in the mid-seventies John wrote in one of those profiles about each band member in some teeny bopper magazine that his favorite band was Gonzales. I never heard of them. But those bands of that era aside Brian listened to some interesting stuff growing up leading to the writing of songs like Good Company. Freddie enjoyed, Aretha Franklin, Liza Minelli, Prince and of course Montserrat.

papp
PauloPanucci

Posted: 26 Sep 09, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz 78 wrote:

It's been documented in several books that all four were fans of Hendrix. Didn't Smile actually opened for Hendrix once? I remember a story that he hustled past Tim Staffell as he was about to go on and asked him "hey man which way to the stage?" I think they were all Who fans too. The poster above was correct when he said Freddie enjoyed the Jackson 5. Back in the mid-seventies John wrote in one of those profiles about each band member in some teeny bopper magazine that his favorite band was Gonzales. I never heard of them. But those bands of that era aside Brian listened to some interesting stuff growing up leading to the writing of songs like Good Company. Freddie enjoyed, Aretha Franklin, Liza Minelli, Prince and of course Montserrat.

yeah, they met Hendrix, but i don't remember if they played with Hendrix....

P.A
Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 09, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie apparently was into Chopin and Paganini too.

Ok ,they're not bands but they had an influence in his music.

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 09, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Chopin...I mean..I love that Piano men....Nice to hear Freddie was a fan...and yeah..it counts a lot related  to Queen influencies..not only bands, indeed!

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 09, 22:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey guys, c'mon, how could you forget? Muse, Adam Lambert, Paul Rodgers - they were Queen's favourite singers!
Well kidding aside, not a single soul has mentioned Yes, who in my opinion influenced Queen a lot more than many of the bands mentioned. All sans John listened to Yes.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 09, 01:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Definate early influences:

Brian May: Reference Reel 1964  – 1966
Home Mini-Disc collection of original tracks by original artists.
All material performed live by Brian May/1984 between 1964 – 1966.
Wonderful Land                                 Shadows                                No: 1      March                    1962      
Apache’                                                 Shadows                                No: 1      July                         1960      
FBI                                                         Shadows                                No: 6      February                1961      
Flingel Blunt                                         Shadows                                No: 5      May                       1964      
Bachelor Boy                                       Cliff Richard                        No: 1      December              1962      
Windy And Warm                               Ventures                                Surfing                                   1963
Ram Bunk Shush                                Ventures                                No: 45    March                    1961      
Bo Diddley                                            Buddy Holly                         No: 4      June                        1963
Dancing In The Street                         Martha & The Vandellas   No: 8      October                  1964      
Eight Days A Week                             Beatles                                   Beatles For Sale                   1964
My Generation                                     Who                                       No: 2      November             1965
Oh Yeah                                                                Others                                    Oh Yeah                                                1964      
I’m Taking Her Home                        Others                                    Oh Yeah                                                1964
I'm A Loser                                           Beatles                                   Beatles For Sale                   1964
Help                                                       Beatles                                   No: 1      July                         1965
Jack O’ Diamonds                               Lonnie Donegan                  No: 14    December              1957
I Wish You Would                               Yardbirds                              BBC Radio                           1965
I Feel Fine                                             Beatles                                   No: 1      December              1964      
Little Egypt                                           Downliners Sect                  
Lucille                                                    Little Richard                       No: 10    June                        1957      
Monkey Business                                Yardbirds                              BBC Radio                           1965
Mojo Working                                      B.B.King
Walking The Dog                                 Dennisons                             No: 36    May                       1964      
Heart Full Of Soul                               Yardbirds                              No: 2      June                        1965      
Bright Lights Big City                         Rolling Stones                      Bright Lights Big City         1964
Chains                                                   Beatles                                   Please, Please Me                                1963
Little Rendezvous                               Chuck Berry                         St. Louis To Liverpool        1964
I’m A Man                                            Spencer Davis Group          No: 9      January                 1967
Bye Bye Bird                                        Moody Blues                        Go Now!                                1965
Yesterday                                              Beatles                                   Help!                                      1965
Only Make Believe                             Conway Twitty                    Original version                    1998 cover
Windy And Warm                               Chet Atkins
Monkey Business                                Chuck Berry
Mojo Working                                      Muddy Waters                     At Newport                           1960      
Walking The Dog                                 Rufus Thomas                     Walking The Dog 1964
Bright Lights Big City                         Jimmy Reed                         Bright Lights Big City
Bright Lights Big City                         Animals                                 Animal Tracks                     1965
Chains                                                   Cookies                                 No: 50    January                 1963
Jack Of Diamonds                              Blind Lemon Jefferson
I’m A Man                                            Bo Diddley
Bye Bye Bird                                        Sunny Boy Williamson
Route 66 Theme                                  Nelson Riddle & Orchestra
Keep On Running                                Spencer Davis Group          No:  1     December              1965
High Heel Sneakers                             Tommy Tucker                    No: 23    March                    1964
I Want To Hold Your Hand              Beatles                                   No: 1      December              1963
I Should Have Known Better            Beatles
Jump Back                                           Rufus Thomas
Crazy House                                        Chuck Berry
Heatwave                                             Martha & Vandellas                                                           1963
Something's Got A Hold On Me       Beatles
Tired Of Waiting                                  Kinks                                      No: 1      January                 1965
Maybe Baby                                        Buddy Holly                         Original version                    1998 cover
Does Your Chewing Gum…              Lonnie Donegan                  Original version

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
John S Stuart

Posted: 27 Sep 09, 01:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reaction: Reference Reel
Riders in the Sky                                  Shadows
Just A Little Bit                                    Rosco Gordon
I Go Crazy                                            James Brown
Apache                                                  Shadows
FBI                                                         Shadows
Muddy Waters’ blues
What I Say                                           Ray Charles
Painter Man                                          Creation
Mr Pitiful                                               Otis Reading
Shake                                                     Sam Cooke
Knock On Wood                                  Eddie Floyde
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow   Shirelles
My Girl                                                  Otis Reading
Down In The Valley                            Otis Reading
Summertime Blues                              Eddie Cochran
Satisfaction                                          Rolling Stones
Long Tall Sally
Smokestack Lightning
She Belongs To Me                             Bob Dylan
Desolation Row                                   Bob Dylan
Like A Rolling Stone                           Bob Dylan
Ballad Of A Thin Man                       Bob Dylan
Slow Down                                            Larry Williams
My Generation                                     Who
Sunshine of Your Love                      Cream
Fire                                                         Jimi Hendrix
Foxy Lady                                            Jimi Hendrix
The Wind Cries Mary                         Jimi Hendrix
Hey Joe                                                 Jimi Hendrix
Can You See Me                                 Jimi Hendrix

Opposition: Reference Reel
Classical Gas
Gloria                                                     Them
She’s Not There                                   Zombies
Heart Full Of Soul                               Graham Gouldman

John S Stuart

Posted: 27 Sep 09, 01:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1984:  Unreleased Thames Television Studio Demos, 31 March 1967
Hold On I'm Coming                          Sam & Dave
Knock On Wood                                  Eddie Floyd                          No: 50    February                1967
NSU                                                        Cream                                    Fresh Cream                         1966
How Can It Be                                     Birds                                                      
Purple Haze                                          Jimi Hendrix                         No: 3      March                    1967      
Our Love Is Drifting                            Paul Butterfield                    Paul Butterfield Blues Band
                                                                                                                                                                1965
Remember                                            Jimi Hendrix                         Are You Experienced          1967
/Sweet Wine                          Cream                                    Fresh Cream                         1966
Get Out Of My Life Woman             Lee Dorsey                            No: 22    February                1966
/Satisfaction                         Rolling Stones                      No: 1      August                   1965
*My Girl                                                Otis Reading                         No: 11    November             1965

Cool Jerk                                               Capitols                                                 Dance The Cool Jerk          1966
Respect                                                  Otis Reading                         Otis Blue: Sings Soul           1966
My Girl                                                  Temptations                         No: 43    March                    1965
Shake                                                     Sam Cooke
Steppin’ Stone                                      Flies
Keep Me Hanging On                         Supremes                              No: 8      December              1966
Whatcha Going To Do About It       Small Faces
Substitute                                              Who                                       No: 5      March                    1965
How Can It Be                                     Birds
Dancing In The Street                         Martha Reeves                    No: 28    October                  1964
Dream                                                    Everly Brothers                    No: 1      May                       1958
Sha La La La Lee                               Small Faces                          No: 3      February                1966

Aint That Peculiar                               Marvin Gaye                        Moods Of Marvin Gaye     1966      
Crying In The Rain                             Everly Brothers                    No: 6      June                        1962
So Sad                                                   Everly Brothers                    No: 4      September             1960
Stone Free                                             Jimi Hendrix                         Are You Experienced          1967
She’s Gone                                            Buddy Knox                         No: 45    August                   1962
Knock On Wood                                  Eddie Floyd                          No: 50    February                1967

Cool Jerk                                               Capitols                                 Dance The Cool Jerk          1966
Respect                                                  Otis Reading                         Otis Blue: Sings Soul           1966
My Girl                                                  Otis Reading                         No: 11    November             1965
Shake                                                     Sam Cooke
(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone          Monkees                               More of the Monkees         1967
Keep Me Hanging On                         Supremes                              No: 8      December              1966
Whatcha Going To Do About It       Doris Troy                             No: 37    Nov                        1964
Substitute                                              Who                                       No: 5      March                    1965
Dream                                                    Everly Brothers                    No: 1      May                       1958
Sha La La La Lee                               Small Faces                          No: 3      February                1966
Aint That Peculiar                               Marvin Gaye                        Moods Of Marvin Gaye     1966
Crying In The Rain                             Everly Brothers                    No: 6      June                        1962
So Sad                                                   Everly Brothers                    No: 4      September             1960
Stone Free                                             Jimi Hendrix                         Are You Experienced          1968
She’s Gone                                            Buddy Knox                         No: 45    August                   1962
Hold On I’m Coming                          Sam & Dave
Knock On Wood                                  Eddie Floyd                          No: 50    February                1967
NSU                                                        Cream                                    Fresh Cream                         1966
How Can It Be                                     Birds
Purple Haze                                          Jimi Hendrix                         No: 3      March                    1967
Our Love Is Drifting                            Paul Butterfield Band         Paul Butterfield Blues…    1965
Remember                                            Jimi Hendrix                         Are You Experienced          1968
Sweet Wine                                           Cream                                    Fresh Cream                         1966
Get Out Of My Life Woman             Lee Dorsey                            No: 22    February                1966
Satisfaction                                          Rolling Stones                      No: 1      August                   1965
Slow Down                                            Beatles                                   Original version                    1998 cover
One Rainy Wish                                   Jimi Hendrix                         Original version                    1996 cover
My Girl                                                 Temptations
Maybe Baby                                        Buddy Holly                         Original version                    1998 cover
Does Your Chewing Gum…              Lonnie Donegan                  Original version

John S Stuart

Posted: 27 Sep 09, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reaction:  Unreleased Live, (Post-June 1967)
Game Of Love                                                     Wayne Fontana   No: 2      February                1965
Hey Mama – Keep Your Big Mouth Shut      Peter Green
Whatcha Gonna Do About It                           Doris Troy             No: 37    Nov                        1964
Slow Down                                                            Beatles                                                                   1964
Respect                                                                  Aretha Franklin    No: 10    June                        1967
I Got You                                                              James Brown        No: 29    February                1966
It’s Gonna Work Out Fine                                 Manfred Mann
Land Of 1,000 Dances                                       Wilson Pickett      No: 22    September             1966

Opposition:  Set list, c1967
Opposition setlist as displayed in the photographic pages - Queen: The Early Years by Mark Hodkinson.
You Don't Know                 
Going To A Go-Go
Meeting Over Yonder
Midnight Hour                                     Wilson Pickett
Heat Wave
Knock On Wood                                  Eddie Floyd                          No: 50    February                1967
Hold On I'm Coming                          Sam & Dave
Something You Got
See Saw
Something About You
I'll Be Doggone
Can't Help Myself
Dancing In The Street                         Martha Reeves                    No: 28    October                  1964
Headline News
Emergency 999
It's Growing
Ride Your Pony
Land Of 1,000 Dances                       Wilson Pickett                      No: 22    September             1966
Key To Love

Smile:  Live Imperial College, London, 26 October 1968
Toccata And Fugue In D Minor       J.S. Bach
Can’t Be So Sad                                  Moby Grape

If I Were A Carpenter                         Tim Harding
Earth                                                      Smile                                      Trident Studios                     1969
Mony Mony                                         Tommy James                     No: 1      June                        1968
See What A Fool I've Been

Roger Taylor/Smile: Reference Reel, 1966 – 1969
Home Mini-Disc collection of original tracks by original artists.
All material performed live by Roger Taylor/Reaction/Smile 1966 – 1969.
Buona Sera                                                           Louis Prima          Jump Jive An' Wail              1956
Just A little Bit                                                      Undertakers                          No: 49    April       1964
I Go Crazy                                                            Buddy Guy                           Feels Like Rain    1965
In The Midnight Hour                                        Wilson Pickett                      No: 12    Sept        1965
I Got You                                                              James Brown                        No: 29    Feb         1966
Game Of Love                                                     Wayne Fontana                   No: 2      Feb         1965
Hey Mama - Keep Your Big Mouth Shut       Peter Green
Whatcha Gonna Do About It                           Doris Troy                             No: 37    Nov        1964
Slow Down                                                            Beatles                                                                   1964
Respect                                                                  Aretha Franklin                    No: 10    June        1967
It’s Gonna Work Out Fine                                 Manfred Mann                   
Land Of 1,000 Dances                                       Wilson Pickett                      No: 22    Sept        1966
If I Were A Carpenter                                         Karaoke                                                No: 9      Oct          1966
Mony Mony                                                         Tommy James                     No: 1      June        1968
Toccata                                                                 Sky  
Keep-A-Knocking                                                Little Richard                       Greatest Hits         1998 Cover
Masters Of War                                                   Bob Dylan                            Freewheelin’         1984 Cover
Keep On Running                                                Spencer Davis Group          Original version    1984 Cover
Foxy Lady                                                            Jimi Hendrix                         Greatest Hits         1990 Cover
I Wanna Testify                                                  Parliaments                           Original version    1997 Cover

John S Stuart

Posted: 27 Sep 09, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie Mercury: Reference Reel, 1969
Material performed live by Freddie Mercury/Ibex/Wreckage 1969.
I'm So Glad/                                                         Cream                    Fresh Cream                         1966
Communication Breakdown            Led Zeppelin        Led Zeppelin                        1969
Rain                                                                       Beatles                   Paperback Writer                 1966
We're Going Wrong                                             Cream                    Disraeli Gears                       1967
Rock Me Baby                                                    Jimi Hendrix
So Sweet  (Got To Get Away)
Jailhouse Rock                                                     Elvis Presley          No 1:      January                 1958
Crossroads                                                            Cream                    Wheels of Fire                      1968
I’m Going Home                                                 Ten Years After   Woodstock
Let Me Love You                                                                Jeff Beck               Truth                                      1968
1983                                                                       Jimi Hendrix         Electric Ladyland                                1968

John S Stuart

Posted: 27 Sep 09, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now...

We know for certain that these tracks must have been listened to, because they are all covers performed by Queen - before they were Queen. Thus, this gives us a window of both influences and musicianship.

Over the years I have collected all these (original artist) tracks and burned some CDs as such.
Can I also say that this is a really good method of getting inside the 'heads' of the band members.

Apart from the 1984/Smile orinal tracks, I suggest all Queen fan listen to the above and see how they have influenced our hereos pre Queen debut LP.

Also, can I say, isn't amazing to discover HOW many of these original tracks have been covered by 'Queen' since they became famous? I won't list them all, but certainly 'Only Make Believe' 'Foxy Lady' and 'FBI' come to mind

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 09, 00:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fantastic reply John S, thanks for taking time to make this remarkable list up.

Looking forward to my day off to have a good listen.

Cheers

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 09, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow.  I shall have to get youtube-ing.  Thanks John Stuart, that list must have taken you ages.

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 09, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Now...

We know for certain that these tracks must have been listened to, because they are all covers performed by Queen - before they were Queen. Thus, this gives us a window of both influences and musicianship.

Over the years I have collected all these (original artist) tracks and burned some CDs as such.
Can I also say that this is a really good method of getting inside the 'heads' of the band members.

Apart from the 1984/Smile orinal tracks, I suggest all Queen fan listen to the above and see how they have influenced our hereos pre Queen debut LP.

Also, can I say, isn't amazing to discover HOW many of these original tracks have been covered by 'Queen' since they became famous? I won't list them all, but certainly 'Only Make Believe' 'Foxy Lady' and 'FBI' come to mind

John, in your opinion, do these songs influence mainly Queen 1, or is there an on going influence on more albums???

papp
PauloPanucci

Posted: 28 Sep 09, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Van Basten 9 wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

Now...

John, in your opinion, do these songs influence mainly Queen 1, or is there an on going influence on more albums???

i think in early albuns Queen had a big influence of this musics, and later albuns Queen make your stile(it means, influence in himself)

P.A