Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Body Language

forum rss feed
Author

qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 09, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The 1982 Queen Hit Body Language was a contreversial release. It was the first music video to be banned from MTV and was the departure from Queen's full, Heavier sound in  previous years. The music hardly contains any Guitar, The Drums are Electric and the release of the Single was to change Queen's career forever. You just need to compare Queen's music (Or Singles) before and after Body Language and you'll se the difference. Body Language was also a hit that was succesful. It reached #11 in the US and #6 in New Zealand. However in the UK, It does not appear on the Greatest Hits Albums. If you were to ask someone about what Queen songs they know, they would probably say the usual Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, Don't Stop Me Now ect. Body Language is not a Big Hit and like the rest of Hot Space except some songs, the release had probalbly had an influence on making Queen not releasing as many albums, singles sales not as high and would set aside a Negative attitude from Queen, as if they were about to End. Personally I would have liked to have seen Queen release more Albums and have more Quality Studio Songs. The disapointing fact about Freddie's death back in 1991, If Queen were to release more albums in 90s, Top Charts and Consistent Hits with good quality music and major Tours, carrying the successful essence from previous years, they would have changed what music today would be like. If they tried something new in 90s and carried on being a headling act to about the year 2000 music would be different. Like you don't become not big anymore after being a huge act for the last 20 years and releasing a chart topping album, Fans would buy the releases. Body Language had made a disapointing impact on their career.

Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 09, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Every single Queen album is different from the one before or after it. The Hot Space album is arguably the least popular or commercially-successful album. It's been documented that by the release of Hot Space, and a constant pattern of cut a record, go on tour, cut a record, go on tour, etc. from the very beginning of their career to that point, they took a year off from being Queen. And in my opinion it was a much-deserved break!

I'm sure that The Works would have been their last album together if not for Live Aid. But even then, Freddie was living with HIV (allegedly he found out in 1987, but I'm convinced he had to know before then because by 1985, people knew a few of the symptoms. And those symptoms are almost impossible to ignore or not notice) - as he had at least one KS lesion consistent with HIV/AIDS patients. So as far as the band not churning out a billion albums a minute in the 80's, it had nothing to do with the song Body Language. Their egos are not THAT fragile that a single track is going to wreck them! But rather, they couldn't churn out a billion albums a minute because, aside from a single album taking months - or even a year - to perfect, Freddie was not in the best of health. And at that time, there really were no medications like the numerous options now available to people fortunate enough to have access to them. So Freddie was essentially a guinea pig and experimenting with meds and blood transfusions. As a result, I'm guessing some medicine combinations (cocktails) either made things worse, or didn't help at all.

And if Freddie never contracted HIV, who's to say that Queen wouldn't have broken up?

"If Queen were to release more albums in 90s, Top Charts and Consistent Hits with good quality music and major Tours, carrying the successful essence from previous years, they would have changed what music today would be like"

But they DID change what music is like today! Probably not so much in the 80's or 90's, but considering their original Greatest Hits catalog and the bands out there today that are avid fans and influenced by them, how can you think that Queen hasn't made some sort of impact?


qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 09, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good Point, though today I had a look at an interview with Brian and Rodger in Canada in 1991. There Brian told us why they did'nt tour. Whilst Queen did Tours, Freddie had to keep himself in perfect shape and not to smoke, drink and he had to keep his voice perfect. So at the end of a tour, the other members say that was great however Freddie said NO ACTUALLY THAT WAS HARD Work. Basicly he wanted a break.



mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3668 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 09, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did you say Rodger?


kohuept user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 552 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 09, 17:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You do know that the 1991 story was a cover-up.  While I'm sure tours were hard work for them all, we know that Freddie DID smoke and drink during tours.  I think there is a brief conversation on the DVD release of Wembley where Freddie is deciding if he wants another bottle of Champagne or just more cigarettes (he chose cigarettes).

As for Queen changing music, well, that goes without saying since, like the Butterfly Effect, everything effects everything.



You just can't beat the reasonably priced mosquito repellant OFF.
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 09, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the late 80's and early 90's, anyone who knew or worked with Freddie was sworn to secrecy about his AIDS status. It was even written in the statement he issued to the press just before he died.


*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1129 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Sep 09, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw that sh*t video a half dozen times on MTV.

Was it really banned, or just dropped because the song and vid were crap?


"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Sep 09, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The fact remains, the song it's self is a crappy song at best. One of their all time worst.
Freddie should have saved that song for his crappy solo album


Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Sep 09, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



*goodco* wrote:

I saw that sh*t video a half dozen times on MTV.

Was it really banned, or just dropped because the song and vid were crap?

Lol.  This isn't my favourite video by a long shot, but I love the finger snapping in it when the four of them are sitting together and they all go *snap* together.  And when they do it individually.  They do not look like they are enjoying themselves one little bit though, they look bored and annoyed! 







dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 09, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



catqueen wrote:



 



*goodco* wrote:



I saw that sh*t video a half dozen times on MTV.

Was it really banned, or just dropped because the song and vid were crap?


Lol.  This isn't my favourite video by a long shot, but I love the finger snapping in it when the four of them are sitting together and they all go *snap* together.  And when they do it individually.  They do not look like they are enjoying themselves one little bit though, they look bored and annoyed! 






Yeah, the snapping looks good. But the song still.....







Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 09, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



louvox wrote:

The fact remains, the song it's self is a crappy song at best. One of their all time worst.
Freddie should have saved that song for his crappy solo album

The fact remains, the song was curved around one of the greatest bass lines ever created... and this from a white, English rocker named John.   Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, U2, etc have not been able to do this... and this was John's second kick-ass bass line.

If John would've provided the bass lines for Freddie's crappy solo album, people might have forgotten it was a Freddie solo album but some hip R&B album way ahead of it's time.

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 09, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Micrówave wrote:



 



louvox wrote:



The fact remains, the song it's self is a crappy song at best. One of their all time worst.
Freddie should have saved that song for his crappy solo album


The fact remains, the song was curved around one of the greatest bass lines ever created... and this from a white, English rocker named John.   Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, U2, etc have not been able to do this... and this was John's second kick-ass bass line.

If John would've provided the bass lines for Freddie's crappy solo album, people might have forgotten it was a Freddie solo album but some hip R&B album way ahead of it's time.



Nope, it's complete pants.






"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Stalinesque user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stalinesque
Champion: 68 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 09, 22:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Micrówave wrote:

The fact remains, the song was curved around one of the greatest bass lines ever created... and this from a white, English rocker named John. Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, U2, etc have not been able to do this... and this was John's second kick-ass bass line.



According to Bechstein Debauchery the bass line was made by Freddie on synths and the song doesn't feature John at all. But I would agree that Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, U2, etc weren't able to create something like that. IMO this bass line is damn damn catchy. I liked it from the first time hearing the song and this is one of my favourites of Hot Space. It's very impressive to hear something complex like Bohemian Rhapsody or March Of The Black Queen and opposed to that something very simple like Body Language from the same Composer and Band. This is why I'm a Queen fan.


Buy the reissiued Josef Stalin album - Big Boobs, which influenced Queen to release Hot Space - Out Now - with the new previously unreleased track: Gulag For Everyone
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 09, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love how people can't seperate what they like and don't like from their view of what is crap and what isn't.

Just because you don't like a song does NOT mean it's crap. You have every right not to like it, but the quality of the song is something completely different. It's a simple and catchy tune. I find most people (perhaps a few on this site) who don't like "Body Language" can't deal with the subject matter and how Freddie wrote and performed it, very overtly sexually (and they tend to be same people who don't like the B-side version of "See What A Fool I've Been"...think about that for a moment). The subject matter alone is fine for them, because "Get Down, Make Love" doesn't sound like gay disco, it rocks out!

In short, for these people, it's "Oh no, gay disco synthy funk pop...I'm too manly for this!"



Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 09, 00:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Just because you don't like a song does NOT mean it's crap."

Well said.[/b] There are a few Queen songs that I don't like at all (and that actually includes Body Language), but I'm not going to rip someone else to shreds if they happen to like those songs.

[b]"Oh no, gay disco synthy funk pop...I'm too manly for this!"


To those who actually feel that way (as well as being unable to tell that being society's definition of manly is not the same thing as being heterosexual), I say the following:

I'm not saying you're somewhere on the queer spectrum, and I'm not saying you're as far from it as possible. But if your alleged heterosexuality is seriously threatened by a song that isn't particularly associated with being macho, then you have bigger things to worry about.


dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 09, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am one of those who doesn't like the song. And I will explain my opinion why is that so, for those who are interested.
I'm not saying it is crap, I don't like it because:
1- I don't think that good bass line is enough for a good song;
2- The song has very poor guitar sound- which for me is a big minus. A good guitar can make a miracle!
3- The same with drums. They have to be more audible.
4- Lyrics. Yes, I don't like it either. Not because it's too loose or about gay (is it?).  Some of Led Zep lyrics way much more loose than this (Lemon Song...), but the song doesn't suffer from it. The thing is that he just repeats the same. I have a feeling that he wrote it in 5 minutes. Anything on the mind just because the song need lyrics. A cheating.
5- Vocals- ok. But the song doesn't show it in the all glory. It doesn't show the power of voice.  
Maybe they wanted to make it simple. Without tricky guitar. But then they had to throw in something special into it. Bass? Come on! Only vocals could save the thing in this case. Some elaboration with this might work out pretty well. But what they did? They left it plain simple. No spices.  Sorry, but I think this is boring.

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 09, 05:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



rhyeking wrote:

I love how people can't seperate what they like and don't like from their view of what is crap and what isn't.

Just because you don't like a song does NOT mean it's crap. You have every right not to like it, but the quality of the song is something completely different. It's a simple and catchy tune. I find most people (perhaps a few on this site) who don't like "Body Language" can't deal with the subject matter and how Freddie wrote and performed it, very overtly sexually (and they tend to be same people who don't like the B-side version of "See What A Fool I've Been"...think about that for a moment). The subject matter alone is fine for them, because "Get Down, Make Love" doesn't sound like gay disco, it rocks out!

In short, for these people, it's "Oh no, gay disco synthy funk pop...I'm too manly for this!"



There are probably many more, like me, who don't like it because it's naff. Plus, when you think that Fred was capable of writing BoRap, but instead chose to churn out disposable pop like this --- well, let's just say it was a waste of his considerable talents.

ps I love See What a Fool I've been.

pps I think you are making huge general statements based on what 1 or 2 of your mates might think.








"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 09, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok, so body language is one of the very few fred songs from the first 9 albums I don't like.  I don't think it's queen's worst song by a long shot, that belongs to put out the fire and fun it, more of that jazz, pain and pleasure, ect,   but the song didn't work, it had potential.  A few changes would have improved it, real bass playing for one.   is it complete crap?....No,  it's somewhat decent. Catchy in some ways.  Wasn't there a commercial featuring body language recently?

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 09, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



rhyeking wrote:

I love how people can't seperate what they like and don't like from their view of what is crap and what isn't.

Just because you don't like a song does NOT mean it's crap. You have every right not to like it, but the quality of the song is something completely different. It's a simple and catchy tune. I find most people (perhaps a few on this site) who don't like "Body Language" can't deal with the subject matter and how Freddie wrote and performed it, very overtly sexually (and they tend to be same people who don't like the B-side version of "See What A Fool I've Been"...think about that for a moment). The subject matter alone is fine for them, because "Get Down, Make Love" doesn't sound like gay disco, it rocks out!

In short, for these people, it's "Oh no, gay disco synthy funk pop...I'm too manly for this!"



Hear, hear!  Well said! 
Unless, of course, its my opinion, in which case if i don't like it, it's crap.  :)





mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 09, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol, if I don't like a song it's crap, garbage, a pile of shit.  Queenzoners favorite words.[img=/images/smiley/msn/devil_smile.gif][/img]