Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Is Brian on a Downer?

forum rss feed
Author

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1786 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just received the latest Queen Fan Club mag & in Brian's letter he says that Roger & Himself have no plans for touring in 2010 & it's just rumours that are going around. However, they MAY??? play a "One Off"  concert in the USA,  but nothing confirmed. ( oh lord no!!!  not Adam Labert????)
 

  Brian also goes on to say,  that he does not know how much more music he can play with the rest of his life & that maybe he should use his time to help put the "World to Right" (my words, not his)

Seems to me he's on a bit of a Downer.

But on a possative note,  "We Will Rock You" stage show is being adapted for the big screen.  Fingers crossed,  Brian & Roger   will rework, Play & sing backing for the soundtrack album/film & not just session musicians,


Joyful the sound
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


Many thanks for the info.

To be honest, I don't give a f*** for any product derivated from the musical. I'm tired of it. And if they decide making it a movie ... well, I just pray for a BIG budget one, otherwise it could suck ...

I only want MUSIC from Brian and Roger. NEW MUSIC, OLD-UNRELEASED MUSIC, LIVE SHOWS, etc etc .... but what I'd like the most is new music from them; I firmly believe they still can deliver something good, in case they had the will and put the effort on it. Their music made me love them. Further than that ... wish them the best, but I don´t care about the musical, the stereo pictures and so on. 

Of course they´re no young rockers anymore, so if they decide it´s time to quit I guess they´ll have our respect as they deserve it (although won´t be sharing their decision).


Bring out the charge of the love brigade
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 09:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



A Word In Your Ear wrote:

Just received the latest Queen Fan Club mag & in Brian's letter he says that Roger & Himself have no plans for touring in 2010 & it's just rumours that are going around. However, they MAY??? play a "One Off"  concert in the USA,  but nothing confirmed. ( oh lord no!!!  not Adam Labert????)
 

  Brian also goes on to say,  that he does not know how much more music he can play with the rest of his life & that maybe he should use his time to help put the "World to Right" (my words, not his)

Seems to me he's on a bit of a Downer.

But on a possative note,  "We Will Rock You" stage show is being adapted for the big screen.  Fingers crossed,  Brian & Roger   will rework, Play & sing backing for the soundtrack album/film & not just session musicians,


I hate to say I told you so but... I told you so. I'm really glad I went to see them on the last tour as I suspected it might be their last. No doubt, many who moaned incessantly about QPR will, in the coming years, regret not taking the opportunity to see Brian and Roger play live. Sucks to be you. lol

Anyway, maybe now we'll get some older releases.







"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At least Roger seems keen to get going. Hopefully he'll crack on with the solo material and tour it. I'd rather see Roger solo in a decent venue than some Queen+ project in an air craft hanger.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Still kicking myself for holding out for a US tour last year....*sigh*  If there is a one off show over here, I'll be there...Adam Lambert or not.

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No complaints here if Brian & Roger come over to the USA and do a concert with Adam!

Perhaps Brian is contemplating his legacy and thinks that he needs to close the book on the active Queen chapter of his life (been there, done that) and do someting more substantial with his time, money and the clout of being a celebrity. Going on minus Freddie seemed to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition anyway.




Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think there are enough people around trying to save the world already. Brian and Roger have a god given talent to make music which brings pleasure to many people around the world.I think Brian is a bit peeeed off that The Cosmos Rocks didn't sell and ended up in the bargin bucket at HMV. Fair enough they obviously put a lot of hard work into making that album but they had been away from the charts for a long time before The Cosmos.

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That may be how you and I and others here feel, but after TCR Brian might just be feeling like the Garden Party song: "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself."  He has put a lot of effort into other things, like his thesis and the books, and he said recently at his website that he was going to be putting his time into the things that mattered to him.

It might be that things other than music have his attention now.




Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can I just ask, in all seriousness... who is this Adam person everyone is talking about?


cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



mooghead wrote:

Can I just ask, in all seriousness... who is this Adam person everyone is talking about?

Adam Lambert, runner-up on American Idol this year, who has been in theater since he was 10 - now 27, and with a spectacular voice and quite a good stage presence. He and Kris, the AI winner sang We Are The Champions with Queen (or Brian and Roger, and the Queen drum, if you prefer) at the AI finale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Jgx3vjK3E

He has quite a following, and when Brian happened to hear the song Adam recorded for the upcoming movie 2012, he raved about it.






Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let Bono f**king change the world... Brian... YOU SUCK AT IT. Who gives a toss about badgers or hedgehogs or whatever rodent he always goes on about? Who cares about 2 pictures that look EXACTLY the same? Who actually reads his entries bout space dust (zodiacal??? can''t remember lol)?

I'm proud that you got your thesis out and it's only right you have a life away from music (which is let's face it your day job), but be honest, why would you want to change the world when you still play so well and still have such amazing chemistry with Roger?

I'd like to change the world too... but fact is, apart from donating the odd couple of quid to some noble cause, I do what I do best... run nightclubs... and I enjoy it too. Please continue doing what you're best at too... MAKING & PLAYING MUSIC.

rant over.




4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In fact, you do change it for the better, cos look at the happiness you
bring too so many and the hearts you have touched with your music? You
have created a daily release for so many stressed up people who can
press play and forget their worries for a wee while.



maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 09, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



With all due respect music hasn't really meant much to Brian for a long time 2 studio solo albums since 1991 & one collaboration with Roger & Paul Rogers hardly prolific is it? (when it comes to original material)







tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Oct 09, 00:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


How can we cheer Brian up - buy Absolute Greatest Hits or sing the last line of Radio Ga Ga this way "Brian May someone still loves you"  ?  :-)

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Oct 09, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's time to call it quits.  TCR was a waste, their solo albums are forgettable.  Hopefully they finally put the queen name to rest,  and realize you can't fill freddie's shoe's.  It just can't be done. Brian should concrentrate on playing with other legendary players. Maybe one more solo album with lots of guests singers and drummers.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Oct 09, 07:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Musicians need to stop being preachy.  Bono sucks, Brian is no good at it, and if I see one more famous person hugging Nelson Mandela (as if he's some kind of ID card for having a social conscience) then I think I am going to barf.  

"Imagine" said it all almost 40 years ago and it said it better than anything since.  Maybe U2 *think* they're that good but they ain't and it's becoming almost nauseating watching people try.

Seriously, musicians need to fucking stop with the preachy crap.  When the subject matter takes priority over the art, you get bad lyrics by great lyricists.  Ever listen to "Woman is the Nigger of the World"?  It's one of the most important subjects that Lennon ever tackled but lyrically it's his most jagged and unlistenable offerings ever.  And I mean, coming from HIM (the Imagine guy), that makes it all the more embarrassing.

I dunno, musicians as a whole seem unable to write anything decent when they get TOO serious...  "The Call" has the best orchestrations of anything Brian's worked on since Queen bit the dust, and we know from stuff like "White Man" that he's been able to tackle serious topics in an artistic manner ...  but I think lately he's forgotten exactly what he is and gone too far in one direction.

Point being, he could be a preachy personality, but I think he does better as a musician.  He makes a good enough point on his Soapbox; leave it there.  I don't want to lose another great 70's musician to embarrassing crap (ie. Blackmore's Night).


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Oct 09, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



Zebonka12 wrote:



Musicians need to stop being preachy.  Bono sucks, Brian is no good at it, and if I see one more famous person hugging Nelson Mandela (as if he's some kind of ID card for having a social conscience) then I think I am going to barf.  

"Imagine" said it all almost 40 years ago and it said it better than anything since.  Maybe U2 *think* they're that good but they ain't and it's becoming almost nauseating watching people try.



Seriously, musicians need to fucking stop with the preachy crap.  When the subject matter takes priority over the art, you get bad lyrics by great lyricists.  Ever listen to "Woman is the Nigger of the World"?  It's one of the most important subjects that Lennon ever tackled but lyrically it's his most jagged and unlistenable offerings ever.  And I mean, coming from HIM (the Imagine guy), that makes it all the more embarrassing.




I dunno, musicians as a whole seem unable to write anything decent when they get TOO serious...  "The Call" has the best orchestrations of anything Brian's worked on since Queen bit the dust, and we know from stuff like "White Man" that he's been able to tackle serious topics in an artistic manner ...  but I think lately he's forgotten exactly what he is and gone too far in one direction.




Point being, he could be a preachy personality, but I think he does better as a musician.  He makes a good enough point on his Soapbox; leave it there.  I don't want to lose another great 70's musician to embarrassing crap (ie. Blackmore's Night).





What about preaching musically, like in his masterpiece, "46666666666664- The Call"? [img=/images/smiley/msn/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif][/img]




Keep Passing the Open Windows
A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1786 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Oct 09, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about preaching musically, like in his masterpiece, "46666666666664- The Call"?




Yes, but  not really original,  as he Ripped off "Elisabeth Taylor's"  Speach.  Me wonders if "Liz" got goint Writing Credits with Brian for this song???? lol.


Joyful the sound
kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Oct 09, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ope they do it.. Adma is a far much ebtter singer then Paul..

Gives the opportunity to play those songs we love.  GOFLB sung by Paul?! Bet Adam can deliver that one;)

Nobody can replace Him, let Adam give it a go. Så some of him on youtube and i liked it.