YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 05:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"OSLO (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama
won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for his calls to reduce the world's
stockpile of nuclear weapons and working for world peace.

The first African American to hold the country's highest office,
Obama has called for disarmament and worked to restart the stalled
Middle East peace process since taking office in January.

The prize worth 10 million Swedish crowns ($1.4 million) will be handed over in Oslo on December 10"

If "restarting the Middle East peace process" is worth a Nobel Prize every US president since WWII should have one. Obama stopped the plans for a new weapon shield system in the Czech Republic and offered talks to countries like Iran and North Korea, that's certainly a contribution to peace. It's perhaps meant as an encouragement to President Obama to follow the path of talking instead of bombing and to restore the rule of law in the United States.

I do not want any google ads here.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting. I think he deserves it, but it seems that his nomination was made, let's say, provisionally: the deadline was mid-February this year, so he'd been president for about  a month at most when he was nominated. Having said that, I think he's done enough to merit a prize like this, especially his efforts at nuclear disarmament and international diplomacy.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Predictable.

Geez....

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As long as the US condemns the foreign and militaristic policies of Iran but not of Israel (although he has said he  "wants Israel to change how it interacts with the Palestinians"), no US president deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.  And let's not even get into Iraq and Afghanistan.  Good deeds certainly don't cancel out bad ones.

No doubt Obama is a great visionary, and the best president the US has had in decades.  But he hasn't signed a peace treaty yet, so I really don't see the justification of a Nobel Peace Prize so early in his presidency.

All that said, the people who run the country are above the politicians.  It's not Obama who's going to make the change he says he wants to make.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bullshit.

He got it just because he's HALFblack.

I'm sick of all my kicks.
Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

beautifulsoup wrote:

Predictable.

Geez....

I know.

I'm sick of all my kicks.
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure he deserves it because he has signed so many peace treaties recently...
or wait... maybe he got it only because he's black and American.
*sigh...

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Beyoncé did much more to deserve this....

But seriously, of course there were other options - Obama has not really done that much to deserve this prize. But then murderers and terrorists won the Nobel Peace prize, so Obama is not the worst choice :-) You can blame the committeee that they did not take any risk by awarding the prize to someone who put his life on stake to make the world a better place but instead chose Obama who is likeable but has not yet achieved that much.

I do not want any google ads here.

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

But seriously, of course there were other options - Obama has not really done that much to deserve this prize. But then murderers and terrorists won the Nobel Peace prize
Henry Kissinger.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

But seriously, of course there were other options - Obama has not really done that much to deserve this prize. But then murderers and terrorists won the Nobel Peace prize, so Obama is not the worst choice :-) You can blame the committeee that they did not take any risk by awarding the prize to someone who put his life on stake to make the world a better place but instead chose Obama who is likeable but has not yet achieved that much.

i agree with you, there were other opitions!

P.A
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess it's a little harder these days to find someone qualified.

So you can win a Nobel Prize for ideas not yet implemented?  And in less than two months?

Beyonce?   Well then next year's should go to Kanye West.  He stopped my ears from bleeding during the VMAs.  Beyonce made the bleeding start again later.

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he got it for not being Bush.

Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cacatua wrote:

I think he got it for not being Bush.

or for being OBAMA!

P.A
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 09, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/tommydski/YoB.jpg

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 09, 04:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So how does it work; you get one of these for saying the right thing, if not for doing the right thing?

(Shrugs) Well it's morally acceptable I guess, but I think it should work on a "half now, half when you do the job" basis.  He gets the certificate now, and the statue when he's done.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
LoosingMyBeat user not visiting Queenzone.com
LoosingMyBeat
Bohemian: 127 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 09, 05:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

As long as the US condemns the foreign and militaristic policies of Iran but not of Israel (although he has said he  "wants Israeli to change how it interacts with the Palestinians"), no US president deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.  And let's not even get into Iraq and Afghanistan.  Good deeds certainly don't cancel out bad ones.

No doubt Obama is a great visionary, and the best president the US has had in decades.  But he hasn't signed a peace treaty yet, so I really don't see the justification of a Nobel Peace Prize so early in his presidency.

All that said, the people who run the country are above the politicians.  It's not Obama who's going to make the change he says he wants to make.

Could not agree more. How can you get Nobel Peace-prize being president of a country that currently is in two wars? I'd get it if Obama ended the wars that Bush started but... nothing yet.

You say you will if you could but you can't
ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 873 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 09, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One local newspaper reported the news with the headlines "Obama wins Life Time Acievement Award on Debut".
He certainly hasn't done anything yet to deserve the Nobel. He's not the first person to talk about Nuclear Disarmament, and so far he has done precious little other than talking about it. Now he would certainly deserve it if he walks the talk, and he has 2 presitential terms to do it IMO. They should have kept his award aside till then.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 12 Oct 09, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I voted for Obama, and to this day I don't regret my choice but I seriously think it's way too soon to give him a Nobel Peace Prize.
Obama has shown persistence to bring diplomatic solutions to conflicts instead of military action, but he just hasn't done enough yet.

My guess is that he's only getting this award, so he can live up to it's reputation.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 09, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its an embarrasment and cheapens the award IMO

he has done nothing to deserve it,   and there are thousands of others that have worked tiredlessly for peace that should have been considered but werent

where is peace in the middle east?
more reduction of nuclear arms?
tensions eased between taiwan and china?
Iran and North Korea??

oh wait he gets it for 'image' and 3 speeches given in other countries....

oh baby thats change for you............

what have we done???

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 09, 20:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Scully wrote:

I'm sure he deserves it because he has signed so many peace treaties recently...

As I understand it, the nomination was made when he had only been in office a few weeks. 

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.