Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Others

forum rss feed
Author

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Oct 09, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's incredibly hard to find something about the band The Others.
I've asked uncle Google and aunt Wikipedia, they didn't help me.

Is there some expert who can provide any information about them ? And the main question is - is Brian May really playing guitar on their demo tape ?

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 09, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, that's not much at all, but take a look. They are really microscopic out there. http://www.last.fm/music/The+Others/+wiki

believe in yourself 45455 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 09, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember the rumour a couple of years that Brian played on the song Oh Yeah by The Others. Later Brian denied he played on it.

There's something to read about The Others on Queenpedia:

http://www.queenpedia.com/index.php?title=1984

The Others comprised older boys from Hampton School, who in October 1964 had issued a single of their abrasive reading of Bo Diddley's "Oh Yeah", backed by "I'm Taking Her Home", on Fontana (TF 501). That was good!" claims singer, Tim Staffell. "I've still got that record buried somewhere deep in my mind - I remember the singer, Paul Stewart's voice and the quality of the guitar sound. The Others were a pretty significant influence. Maybe not in terms of the music, more in the sense that they were already doing it, which proved it was possible."
The Others clearly had attitude, something which 1984, or Tim Staffell at least, could only aspire to. "If I had tried to push 1984 in any direction," reveals Tim, "then that would have been it. Without hearing any of these tapes of our band - and I didn't even know they existed! - I'd say we probably sounded a lot safer than the Others. Mind you, they were different to us. Their guitar style was very much inspired by American R&B, whereas Brian's never was. Brian was a unique guitar player: he was able to extemporise a much more original way than most guitar players could. I hope he'll forgive me for saying so, but I never perceived him as having the dangerous image, which was necessary at the time - the cardigan says it all!
"In retrospect, 1984 was lightweight, a bit fluffy," concedes Tim. "It was impossible not to be naively ambitious - that was part and parcel of it - and the primary motivation to do it was what we saw in the media as the end results of success. But I guess we were realistic about it - we were at school, after all. Also there was a good deal of pressure in the 60s from our parents, and the conservative generation, to conform."
Although a version of "I'm Taking Her Home" by 1984 was captured live on the Shepperton tape, and Brian occasionally appeared with the Others on stage, it's worth stating once and for all that - despite the persistent rumours - he definitely doesn't feature on "Oh Yeah". In fact, Pete 'Woolly' Hammerton doesn't even play on the record - he formally joined the band later on.

I attached the song for who is interested. Please correct me if it's the wrong song.

Hopefully this helps

Attachment: 093611639317460.mp3 3 MB
This has been downloaded 13 time(s).

believe in yourself 45455 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 210 posts

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 09, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot for the information

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 09, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian never played on that song at all.

He did play guitar for them for a couple of months or so though.

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx