Forums > Personal > This Is It Michael Jackson movie

forum rss feed
Author

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Oct 09, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is anyone going to see this movie? I bought my tickets the day they came out. I'm excited to see it but I know it will be sad.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 09, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't got tickets yet, but I will soon.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope there's plenty of scenes with that guitarist woman.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

this is it will probably be a rip of, copy of some other movie that was out ages....
maybe the matrix...

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 21:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Part of me is extremely curious to see this, and the other part of me finds that it would be wrong to fill in the pockets of AEG executives even more, after they pushed Michael Jackson to play 50 dates when he wasn't physically capable to do so, and only took advantage of his humongous debt. Now they are trying to capitalize on the gigantic global interest on MJ after his death, and they will do anything to squeeze every single penny from his fans.

Don't get me wrong, I will admit that Michael Jackson was possibly the one who was the most to blame for getting himself into so much debt and the whole drug addicting mess that ended his life. However, I also believe that a lot of people exploited him when he was put in a weak position, and that's just wrong.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
bobo the chimp

Posted: 16 Oct 09, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

Now they are trying to capitalize on the gigantic global interest on MJ after his death, and they will do anything to squeeze every single penny from his fans

That extends to releasing a rather ho-hum single that isn't even new material.  And hyping it to the best of their ability.  And forgetting to cut Paul Anka in on royalties until he complained...

I found the funeral embarrassing enough (with the exception of Jermaine's performance of "Smile").  I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if they'd strung him up to fulfill the 50 date thing.

Having said that, I hope they did a decent job of his movie.  It entirely depends on what angle they're going on I guess.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 09, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I already bought tickets for myself and my girlfriend to go see it after work on the 28th. Can't hardly wait!

Mind you, I'm pretty peeved t the same time that they pulled a Queen Productions when it came to the movie's CD "companion"........*cough* regurgitated GH *cough*

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 09, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm excited to see the movie but I know it will be sad to see if not for anything other than how thin he is. I know there is hype about filling the pockets of AEG execs. With any production of a star there is a snake somewhere that will be profiting off of it.  Michael Jackson's life is a sad situation no matter how you look at it and no matter which part of his life you examine, the whole thing is sad. I just know that I love his music and I love to watch him perform and I'm going to at least experience this movie. If I don't like it, I won't watch it again or buy a DVD if it comes out. I agree that he probably did not want to do 50 shows, infact he probably didn't even want to do 10. If you look back and watch the program he did years ago, I think it was called, "Living with Michael Jackson" where he shows old home movies and stuff..he says he hates to tour. He says he goes through "hell" when he tours and the only reason he does it is so he can be close to the fans.

There are a group of fans that claim they were close to him during the last few weeks of his life, gathering outside of the rehearsals, etc. They claim he talked to them and brought them inside to watch and they all say how frail and thin he was. They also say he did not want to do 50 shows at all and he said it was "killing him." They even have a website called "This is not it." I read their testimonies but you just don't know what you can and can't believe. I choose to just listen to the music and watch him perform. It's all you can do as a fan....I don't judge.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 02:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought that This Is Not It video on YouTube was twistedly funny in a way, until I saw that there sadly was an actual site based on that...

ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 873 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 06:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think I'll be able to watch, or rather suffer through this movie. It will be just too much for me emotionally. When he died I was extremely shocked. I spent weeks listening to only to his music and watching his videos, and everyone, even at work noticed how saddened i was. I just don't want to go back into that mode. And this move would probably be a sympathetic look at this life and his last days, aiming exactly at bringing out those very emotions out of the fans.

Do yo feel they'll hve the guts to show his finak days of rehearsal in all honesty? According to many, he was too frail and not in perfect health, etc, and if he didn't like touring anyways, wouldn't it end up showing the producers in bad light?

bobo the chimp

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ParisNair wrote:

Do yo feel they'll hve the guts to show his finak days of rehearsal in all honesty? According to many, he was too frail and not in perfect health, etc, and if he didn't like touring anyways, wouldn't it end up showing the producers in bad light?

Put it this way; were Freddie's final years shown in full honesty (at the time)?

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisser wrote:

I choose to just listen to the music and watch him perform. It's all you can do as a fan....I don't judge.

See right through you!!
ParisNair

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:
Put it this way; were Freddie's final years shown in full honesty (at the time)?

You think its the same situation? Our Freddie brought his untimely death upon himself (by being careless or reckless, whatever), and if his final years were not shown in full honesty, it was to preserve his own privacy, and on his own standing instructions.
In case of poor Micheal, his untimely death was brought upon him by others as much as, if not more, by himself. If his final days are not shown in full honesty, it would be to avaoid showing how the organisers of the london concerts were squeezing life out of him. The guy was physically unwell, possibly mentally not in the right frame of mind either. And they still went ahead and took advantage of his financial crisis to make filthy money for themselves.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think the situation is the same, exactly, but the result was the same - we didn't hear what was really going on with Freddie until a while later.  "This Is It" wouldn't have the remotest chance of being screened if it were to show things as they really were/are.  (ie.  half dead man dragged off to do 50 dates that he would've pulled out of anyway).

To me it's no less embarrassing than Elvis' last few years anyway .. if I were going to an Elvis show I'd want it to be him and five other players - tops.  A really kicking rhythm section and that's about it.  Dancers?? Backup singers??  You can keep all of that shit.  

I didn't find the first glimpses of MJ's rehearsal video to be all that compelling because (in that clip where they're rehearsing "They Don't Care About Us") he was only doing a halfbaked job of dancing (rightly so, it was just rehearsal) and he was miming the vocal (it's the studio vocal to a new backing - they were probably only using that while planning stuff out but still ... not very interesting viewing).

I hope, in this movie, that there's some rehearsal stuff where he's actually singing.  One thing he always had was a damned fine voice.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 09, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ParisNair wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

You think its the same situation? Our Freddie brought his untimely death upon himself (by being careless or reckless, whatever), and if his final years were not shown in full honesty, it was to preserve his own privacy, and on his own standing instructions.
In case of poor Micheal, his untimely death was brought upon him by others as much as, if not more, by himself. If his final days are not shown in full honesty, it would be to avaoid showing how the organisers of the london concerts were squeezing life out of him. The guy was physically unwell, possibly mentally not in the right frame of mind either. And they still went ahead and took advantage of his financial crisis to make filthy money for themselves.

A lot of judgement in this post....

How can you say that Freddie brought his death on himself at a time when nobody knew about AIDS and the worst thing you could get by unprotected sex was syphilis which was easily treatable. We do not know how he would have behaved if he had known about AIDS in the late 70s/early 80s but it's easy to put a verdict 20 years later.

It was not the fault of the organizers of the London shows that Michael Jackson was bankrupt. It's their job to organize concerts and to make money from them.  Also, Michael Jackson did not die from facing 50 London concerts, he died from an overdose of narcotics which should not have been given to him at home. Certainly MJ was surrounded by lots of people who wanted to take advantage of him but his death was the result of a many unfortunate events and you really cannot lay the blame on concert promoters.

Back to topic: if I were a fan of MJ I would definitely go and see the movie and I would not care who makes money out of it. Since I am not a fan I am not interested to see the movie and that is all there is to it. Let his fans enjoy the movie, they did not have many opportunities to see  MJ in the last years, anyway.

I do not want any google ads here.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 18 Oct 09, 06:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe you've met more promoters than I have, but I personally wouldn't place more faith in them than I had to ...  I guess that's down to personal experience though!

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 09, 07:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They are businessmen, right? Not the mafia. They cannot possibly force an artist to do concerts if he does not want to (or needs to due to money problems). The only concert promoter I ever met in person was a music fanatic who simply loved the bands he promoted but he was an old guy from the 70s/80s, so no - I have no personal experience with promoters. All I am saying is that there are no such simple cause-and-effect descriptions of peoples' lives. Many events were responsible for the early death of MJ and you cannot just pick one of them.

I do not want any google ads here.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 18 Oct 09, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

They are businessmen, right? Not the mafia. 

Ask a mafioso what he is and he'll probably say 'businessman'.  Heh.

See right through you!!
ParisNair

Posted: 19 Oct 09, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:
A lot of judgement in this post....

How can you say that Freddie brought his death on himself at a time when nobody knew about AIDS and the worst thing you could get by unprotected sex was syphilis which was easily treatable. We do not know how he would have behaved if he had known about AIDS in the late 70s/early 80s but it's easy to put a verdict 20 years later.

My apologies if my comments sound offensive or disrespectful. I love our Freddie as much as anyone else on this forum. I became a fan of Queen after Freddie died, infact I did not know Queen existed in 1991. In a way I'm thankful for that becuase I'm a very emotional person and if Michael Jackson's death shook me and go numb for a few days, our Freddie's death would have made me go into deep depression.

Probably you are right in saying that my post is judgemental, but I saw it as fact. I'm sure I have read somewhere that in the mid-80s when AIDS was becoming "popular" as a deathly disease inflicting the gay people Freddie made the comment "I'm f*ing everyone and anyone" in the context that he was not taking any extra precautions or safety measures to avoid getting infected. And also, that often he would have a panic attack in the bathroom after a session and then scrub himslef vigorously, as if he could wash away the virus if it was in him. I'm 100% sure I read these things through some credible source, and I'd say he did not particularly try not to catch the virus. Anyway, if anyone is responsible for our Freddie's early departure from earth, its God and Freddie himself.

See right through you!!
ParisNair

Posted: 19 Oct 09, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:
It was not the fault of the organizers of the London shows that Michael Jackson was bankrupt. It's their job to organize concerts and to make money from them.  Also, Michael Jackson did not die from facing 50 London concerts, he died from an overdose of narcotics which should not have been given to him at home. Certainly MJ was surrounded by lots of people who wanted to take advantage of him but his death was the result of a many unfortunate events and you really cannot lay the blame on concert promoters.

Back to topic: if I were a fan of MJ I would definitely go and see the movie and I would not care who makes money out of it. Since I am not a fan I am not interested to see the movie and that is all there is to it. Let his fans enjoy the movie, they did not have many opportunities to see  MJ in the last years, anyway.

Michael might have died from a drug overdose, but that's like saying a man stabbed in the heart dies of cardiac-arrest.

My point was that for sure the mpvie wil have to show that Micheal was very enthusiastic about the concerts and could not wait to get on the stage in London. Probably they'd have some interviews to prove it too. However, the reality may be somehting different, and the makers of this movie cannot afford to show this.