Forums > Personal > Life's great mystery

forum rss feed
Author

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can someone please explain to me why Seinfield is funny?

I've tried watching it a couple of dozen times in my life and it's never made me laugh.  None of it - the laugh track offers no clues as to where laughter is supposed to naturally occur.

I mean I've REALLY tried too.  I've given it a bigger chance than any comedy I can remember turning my back on.  And I've tried figuring out why the hell I don't enjoy it.  Is the humour America specific?  This can't be - I watched Frasier for 11 years and I loved that show.

Help me out.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Angeline user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

I can't help. I too have tried really hard to work out what i'm 'missing' but have not succeeded. 

I just think it isn't.  But then some people don't like Black Books and that makes me lose my mind laughing.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have the same problem with Little Britain. And The Office.

I guess its all about differing senses of humour.......

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seinfeld--either it works for you or it doesn't.  I have practically a encyclopedic knowledge of the Seinfeld show ("the sea was angry that day, my friends"), but I wasn't into it at all when it first became popular.  In fact, it wasn't that good in the beginning and had to be revamped after the initial run of "Seinfeld Chronicles" because the network (NBC) almost canceled it , so it was reworked and renamed "Seinfeld".  I started watching it when it was shown in syndication at weird hours, like 11:00 pm at night.  I gave it a week or so.  It grew on me, and I began to appreciate each character and each character's many, MANY flaws, and the whole cyclical nature of the writing that went into each episode.  After a year or so of watching it in syndication, I started watching it when it was actually on.

One thing that doesn't work is to try to start off watching it by watching the best episodes (Festivus, Soup Nazi, The Trip to India, Kramer goes Hollywood, Jewish Singles Dinner--these are some of the ones that I think are the best--ask someone else and they will hate these episodes and rave about others).  I think the first one I saw was "The Chinese Restaurant", which I thought, at the time was pretty stupid, but it turned out to be a good way to start. 

I may just not be your thing, Zeb.  Sadly, you will never appreciate the insane beauty of one of Frank and Estelle Costanza's shouting matches, or the witness the bizarre lifestyle rituals of retired New Yorkers (Jerry's parents) who move to Florida.  I feel for you.  Sorry 'bout that. 

Cheers,

Cindy

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crazy LittleThing wrote:

("the sea was angry that day, my friends")

Like an old man trying to take soup back at a deli !

The brilliance of Seinfeld is the writing, as there are always numerous unrelated things that end up being related to one another in the end.

People often complain that the main characters are all selfish people... but that's the very point of the show!  But humour is such a relative thing... not everything works on everyone.  But you do have to feel bad for anyone who doesn't buckle over every time George pulls out that golf ball and Kramer asks if it's a Titleist.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

I've tried watching it a couple of dozen times in my life and it's never made me laugh.  None of it - the laugh track offers no clues as to where laughter is supposed to naturally occur.

I mean I've REALLY tried too.  I've given it a bigger chance than any comedy I can remember turning my back on.  And I've tried figuring out why the hell I don't enjoy it.  Is the humour America specific?  This can't be - I watched Frasier for 11 years and I loved that show.

Help me out.

Its sophisticated humor...
thats why you don't get it

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It has been a while since I've seen it now, but one of my favorite incidents was when Elaine snatched the toupe' off of George's head, dashed to the window and hurled it out because she couldn't stand it anymore. There was the visit to the Hamptons and shrinkage, the low-talkers and bizarro world, and of course, the soup nazi. It was indeed about these self-centered people and their adventures, many of which were absurd, and yes, things always did seem to come full circle and tie up all the loose ends before it was over.

Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 09, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've never thought Seinfeld was that funny personally. Not even when he did stand-up.
I guess I feel the same really, the only one I can give credit too is "Kramer" .  He was funnier than all of them put together.

Frasier on the other hand...now there's a sophisticated comedy classic!!  I liked everyone on that show. Niles was hilarious!

¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
bobo the chimp

Posted: 16 Oct 09, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddies Lunch Box wrote:

Its sophisticated humor...
thats why you don't get it

Oh I get it.  Sarcasm.  Hehe, I lol'd.

PS.  Frasier.  As in, 11 years of.  (sigh) 

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp

Posted: 16 Oct 09, 00:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the replies folks - I'm still no closer to figuring out why it's so hit and miss (I know people on a roughly 60:40 ratio that don't like it and do like it, in that order)  but I'll give it another go next time I see it around.

PS.  I can't imagine anyone not laughing at Black Books.  That show is as funny as a baby elephant in the bath is cute.  

i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 09, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Thanks for the replies folks - I'm still no closer to figuring out why it's so hit and miss (I know people on a roughly 60:40 ratio that don't like it and do like it, in that order)  but I'll give it another go next time I see it around.

PS.  I can't imagine anyone not laughing at Black Books.  That show is as funny as a baby elephant in the bath is cute.  

well.... dont forget that watching it now might not do it as much justice as watching it when it was being shown back then...
taking in to account all the other shows that were on, it may of had an impact with it being different.
There are some good episodes,  and at times I did watch the show end on end...on re-runs  but...still... see your point as for why was it so big...

Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 09, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Crazy LittleThing wrote:

("the sea was angry that day, my friends")

Sir GH wrote:
Like an old man trying to take soup back at a deli !

The brilliance of Seinfeld is the writing, as there are always numerous unrelated things that end up being related to one another in the end.

People often complain that the main characters are all selfish people... but that's the very point of the show!  But humour is such a relative thing... not everything works on everyone.  But you do have to feel bad for anyone who doesn't buckle over every time George pulls out that golf ball and Kramer
asks if it's a Titleisthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sein_ep514.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crazy Little Thing wrote:
That (in bold above) and "they kept ringing the bell!" (the runaway bus) are the two best lines in Seinfeld, and I hold my breath and wait for it every time I see those episodes.

Last week I saw a car with the personalized license plate "NOSOUP4U".

While in a car, driving through a mixed residential/retail neighborhood in Tel Aviv, I saw an elaborately framed portrait of "The Kramer" leaning up against the exterior wall of a shop.  All I could think at the time was "He is a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't take my eyes away."  Priceless!

You're right.  The writing is brilliant, and the weaving together of the separate threads, while sometimes predictable, is always clever.

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.
@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 09, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the show, it's a nice combination of Larry David's dark twisted sense of humour and Seinfeld's observational comedy. I'm not a comedy snob or anything but i'd rather have Seinfeld any day over Friends, and the latter was even more popular! Friends is so shit, i wish people would just realise it's a cheesy show that directly stole specific jokes and humour from other comedies.

But anyway back to Seinfeld, it's one of those shows that you either warm to the humour or you don't, very little in between.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
bobo the chimp

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 04:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha!  I'm with you on Friends, I honestly couldn't see the appeal with that show.

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

give me Larry Sanders/Garry Shandling or Will & Grace over Seinfeld and Friends any day of the week
but if you left me alone with the entire back catalogue of Cheers and Frasier and an endless supply of cyder and pastys you'd never see me again,can happily watch them until the cows come home

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

bobo the chimp

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 05:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Minus the cider (regrettably) that Cheers/Frasier combo is something like what me and my nephew got up to about a year ago .... good times, good times.

Sergei. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Impresario, still
Sergei.
Deity: 4682 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I completely agree with what some people above have said –– What makes Seinfeld great is the writing, the way each plot and sub-plot are all connected and tied together by the end of the episode, and the completely outrageous way that characters and situations are depicted. The main characters are perfect, too, including Jerry, even though half the time it's obvious that he's trying to keep from laughing at his own lines. The ridiculous relationships between Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer are actually believable, whereas in all these shitty new sitcoms they're constantly trying to come out with (which may or may not star Kelsey Grammer) the interactions between the characters just seem phony and scripted. I've loved Seinfeld for a long time and have seen every episode, and I think they're all great. XD
I think the easy way to respond to someone who claims that Seinfeld isn't funny could be to just say "YOU DON'T GET THE JOKES PSSSHT," but it really just might not be your brand of humour. Just like some people don't find Monty Python funny, or the way I don't find lame comedians like Ralphie May to be funny. 

Back whenever
bobo the chimp

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sergei. wrote:

(which may or may not star Kelsey Grammer) 

He certainly doesn't have the Midas touch ...  couldn't stomach more than 5 minutes of that show where he was the TV anchor.  It was pretty tragic after 20 years of Cheers/Frasier.  

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Sergei. wrote:

He certainly doesn't have the Midas touch ...  couldn't stomach more than 5 minutes of that show where he was the TV anchor.  It was pretty tragic after 20 years of Cheers/Frasier. 

SORRY ZEB FOR HIJACKING YOUR RESPONSE, but as your currently online.... Do you know how to add a photo or image to a reply without using the Upload File feature??? I want it so that a picture appears in the thread.

Sergei. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Impresario, still
Sergei.
Deity: 4682 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 09, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Van Basten 9 wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

Sergei. wrote:

SORRY ZEB FOR HIJACKING YOUR RESPONSE, but as your currently online.... Do you know how to add a photo or image to a reply without using the Upload File feature??? I want it so that a picture appears in the thread.

< img src = " photo link " >
Minus all the spaces except the one between img and src. I only put the spaces because the HTML code would come up as a question mark without them. 

Back whenever