Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Johns bass sound

forum rss feed
Author

liam user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 09, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After listening to the bass only track of we are the champions that was posted on here, i just wanted to ask about his sound. Does he use round or flat wound strings. Ive always read he used flat wounds, but listening to that track it definetly sounds like he uses round wounds. Also what setting do you suspect he had his amp set at. It sounds to me he has treble set very high with very little bass creating the thin sound he uses. Any thoughts?

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 09, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the end of the day its the bass. Regardless of the admiration we have for his bass playing its just the bass guitar, he doesn't have much to play with...

liam user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 09, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm talking about the sound he got. Not his ability.
What strings you use and wat EQ settings you have makes the sound of a bass change considerably.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 09, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mooghead was just winding you up.

Not that it's a huge innovation, but I've heard that John's bass was on 3 channels at times (DI, amp sound, and I guess more amp sound?) and I'm pretty sure that's how many are in the Bohemian Rhapsody 24-track (though I haven't checked lately, I don't have it anymore).

I could be wrong on that but I've heard that was a factor in his sound.  In the 70's at least.  Above all he just had good phrasing. 

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 09, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep Zeb.

You are right.D.I. amp and room too.

Round wound strings as well i believe.Into a Peavey amp with Black Widow speakers.Dont know the measurements tho.

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx