Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen Rock Band DLC

forum rss feed
Author

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 09, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Had my first play of the songs today, pretty fun I guess?   The game badly needs a hi-hat pedal (in the Queen songs and in Beatles Rock Band, any time the hi-hat goes from closed to open you have to smack the blue drum - totally fucking erroneous).

My poor nephew found that a lot of the piano is mapped to whoever chooses to play guitar. 

Anyone else playing it?  

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
ggo1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 157 posts

Posted: 21 Oct 09, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I played with my sons last night.  We were going to wait till the weekend, but I caved and bought the tracks last night.

They mapped the guitar to the piano for Somebody To Love which makes sense I guess,otherwise there would only be the guitar solo I think.

The Drums on One Vision are absolutely insane.  My eldest son never gets less than 98/99% on expert level but first time he did One Vision got an 86 and was close to needing a save at one point.

Overall the difficulty of the songs is quite low, which was the main reason I thought they picked the wrong tracks.
Having said that, the vocals are very difficult for most of them.
Somebody to Love is hard because after years of singing along, the game doesnt always pick the same lead or backing vocal combination that you or I might have chosen.
It does show how good Freddie was as a vocalist though, so many songs where the need to breathe gets in the way of actually singing the note.

I enjoyed it... its worth forgetting about the score and missing the odd note just to hear how a song sounds without the guitar/bass or drum at that point.

Some of the mixes seem quite different, but its probably just a case of pushing some instruments higher at different points.  I wouldnt necessarily notice with other bands, but the Queen ones I've been close to for 30 years so when the guitar is mixed higher, (Like in Break Free where its very noticeable) I really notice.  Whereas I might not be so aware of that with a different group.

I like the way none of the tracks fade too.   (I say this without having yet played CLTCL so I may actually be wrong)

bobo the chimp

Posted: 22 Oct 09, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nah they've chucked an ending on Crazy little thing, too.  Some of them are a bit clumsy sounding but it beats what they did with Beatles Rock Band - some of those edited endings are woeful!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 09, 16:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yup, got them, found out I can't sing worth a shit.

Failed at FBG on easy but yet could do TYMD on Medium. Lot of short notes for AOBTD in singing

I mostly play Bass and they seem to be great for this.

MY GOD spell it write.
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 09, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dont look at the screen.. close our eyes and sing whats in your head...

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 09, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's interesting to just listen to them in practice mode and not play an instrument.

Anybody with a PS3 feel free to add me: PieterMC

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 09, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did the drums tonight.  Will have to try singin' tomorrow.

kzer_za user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 09, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Which versions of I Want it All, Fat-bottomed Girls, One Vision, and Tie Your Mother Down are used?

bobo the chimp

Posted: 23 Oct 09, 01:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kzer_za wrote:

Which versions of I Want it All, Fat-bottomed Girls, One Vision, and Tie Your Mother Down are used?

From what I remember it's the Greatest Hits versions but I only played it once and that was a few days ago.