Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Unblinking Eye (everything is broken)

forum rss feed
Author

greataddict user not visiting Queenzone.com
Call me Master, now!
greataddict
Bohemian: 181 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone!

Just found out that the track is already available for download:

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/digitaldetail.jsp?productPK=unittest-jacbAWsDaDIS5KUbqN3IEb-1

Just listenned to it

Very nice Roger's work, I think it will grow on me...

I just disliked the sound chosen for the viola...

Wanted to let you guys know...

Have a nice day

cheers!

What is left of your dreams?

Just the words on your stone

"a man who learned how to teach

then forgot how to learn"

I should remember that, now that I'm graduated Master musician!
Nightjar_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nightjar_
Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the early link. Yup it's a grower.....

I was born on the 22nd floor of a bird cage
leto user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I just listened...

I think it's a great song, good ideas inside. And it is the first time we can heard a very special instrument (around 3 minutes) : a Stylophone !!!

http://www.stylophone.com/

"Surrender Your Ego - Be Free To Yourself"
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the song.  It's much better than I expected and the sentiment appeals to me very much. I wish I would understand all the lyrics.

I think the YouTube video will hurt the sales. There is vitually no hope that they release it on a CD...

I do not want any google ads here.

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

a great track. Very Roger.
I like it.

as one can download youtube vids and convert them into mp3, shouldn't the link to the video be removed?

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
roy_fokker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 06:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger Taylor here shows he's a man that thinks. Not only about words, but also about music. The song is 'in' Roger's style, but also contains new tunes, harmonies and melodies. I liked it very much and I deem it will grow on me as I will listen to it these next days.
Surley Roger has enough of music as mere escapism or just 'divertissement', and this is great.

Tim June user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 366 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it is a musically very good song with a catchy melancholic feel.

It feels for me like a November Song.

You can criticise protestsong "cliches", but this one has a original
"theme", that`s sadly not so often bespoken by musicians, beside from
subculture music (for e.g. Punk).

life could be magic if we break free
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 07:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rien wrote:

I like it.

as one can download youtube vids and convert them into mp3, shouldn't the link to the video be removed?

Well.
I've not had much luck downloading the video so far, and normally I don't have any problems...
That said, yes, you can capture the audio without download the video anyway, but the actual download of the song itself is better quality than the youtube clip.

As for removing the link to the video - don't be silly.
It's an official Queenonline upload to youtube. They WANT people to see and hear it, so having the link here is only promoting what Queen/Roger wants.

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 07:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

Rien wrote:

I like it.

Well.
I've not had much luck downloading the video so far, and normally I don't have any problems...
That said, yes, you can capture the audio without download the video anyway, but the actual download of the song itself is better quality than the youtube clip.

As for removing the link to the video - don't be silly.
It's an official Queenonline upload to youtube. They WANT people to see and hear it, so having the link here is only promoting what Queen/Roger wants.

I just noticed the official download is indeed of better quality.
Let's fun it then. :-)

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good song; it took directions I dind´t expect when listening to the preview. Roger has my unconditional vote since The Cross II & III ... it´s been a while :) 

Galileo at the QOL forum commented there are a few more new songs Roger´s been busy with in the studio ... Maybe there´s still hope for an EP or something like that ...

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

I like the song.  It's much better than I expected and the sentiment appeals to me very much. I wish I would understand all the lyrics.

I think the YouTube video will hurt the sales. There is vitually no hope that they release it on a CD...

Releasing a CD would be pointless, since it costs more money then you will ever get back. And hardly anyone releases CD singles these days. I know it's sad, but it's fighting against something inevitably .

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

leto wrote:

Well, I just listened...

I think it's a great song, good ideas inside. And it is the first time we can heard a very special instrument (around 3 minutes) : a Stylophone !!!

Isn't it just a Kaoss Pad?

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 07:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love it. This is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear from Roger on Cock the Rosmos. Here's hoping for an album!

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
leto user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

leto wrote:

Well, I just listened...

Isn't it just a Kaoss Pad?

It's an authentic Stylophone as we can see in the video. :)

"Surrender Your Ego - Be Free To Yourself"
CD89 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the whole, I really like the track. For me, Roger's compositions get better and better. He really seems to be coming into his own. As someone else mentioned, there is a sense of melancholy on the track; a feeling that has been evident on a few pieces of his work since the early 90s - TATDOOL, Happiness, SINT, Small etc. It's nice to see someone who isn't just writing about love all the time, but is actually addressing real issues.

Also, perhaps Brian should listen to 'The Unblinking Eye' and take note. Although it is ultimately a protest song (and I admit, I do cringe when I hear Roger mention Afghanistan in there), it does not come across as excessive or preachy, and does not convey the sort of 'I know best' attitude that is present on 'We Believe'. Instead, I feel like it's quite subtle, and is merely an observation of the times we are currently going through.

My only criticism of the track is that it feels disjointed at times. The segment after the first chorus (where the distorted guitars kick in) really caught me off-guard, and the strings section after the stylophone solo also sounded a bit odd when it began. For me, I think I would have preferred it if these parts were omitted. But it's just a personal opinion.

I think it's great to see Roger going out on his own again - I really love hearing him singing lead on a track after all this time! And although I am a huge Queen fan, and even though I supported the QPR collaboration, I can't help but feel that Brian and Roger were beginning to prostitute the Queen name recently. It makes much more sense to keep Queen's legacy intact, and for Roger and Brian to go about making music in the own rights now. Because after hearing 'The Unblinking Eye', I think Roger is perfectly capable of doing so.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thoroughly enjoyed that. You can see why Roger apparently asked Brian not to play on this as Brian would have taken this song in a different direction and quite possibly have ruined it.

As dear old Fred once said - "Sock it to them Rog!"

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
theCro user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

great song, great vocals, great arrangement... great to hear roger singing lead vocals. GREAT JOB!!!

ps i do not agree that Brian would ruin the song

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Brian, but I dont understand why he is included in this conversation...

this is a SOLO song... and a great one.

Queen rocks!
Reid_Special_98 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 09, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay so I just listened on Youtube.

Initial reaction: Jesus. I think it's the most interesting offering we've had of Queen-related solo material. Proves that Roger isn't a one-trick pony.

I LOVE the Gretch, Marshall Cab, Hiwatt head....AND...AND...AND...Vox DEACY !! (check 1:19).

Not sold on the lyrics...they sound too Bono 'I need to be political' for me...but the music and different instruments are quite interesting. Lots of different flavours here.

But yeah...if Roger can write more of this stuff...having fun in the studio like this then I'm sold.

Overal...aside from the lyrics...I think it's an excellent track. Great sounding track. To my ears at least.

Sold !