forum rss feed
Author

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Nov 09, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A rather interesting article:
http://thequietus.com/articles/03315-queen-finding-the-gems-beyond-the-gilded-headgear-of-the-greatest-hits
I'm sure we all have our own recommendations though.

Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18474 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 09, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excellent reading.  I thoroughly enjoyed that.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
cacatua

Posted: 28 Nov 09, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Good Company deserved to be included, just for one thing, but I thought it interesting too, to hear the others evaluate the ones they chose.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3613 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 09, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is poor. Non Queen fans will be rushing to youtube to listen to the dregs, like More of that Jazz/Fun It/ She Makes Me/ Mustapha/Get Down Make Love etc......

Will do Queen no favours. Where's Sweet Sister/Long Away/You and I/You Take My Breath Away/Millionaire Waltz/etc....

Cool Cat??? ffs!

cacatua

Posted: 29 Nov 09, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We are all here because we love the music of Queen, but everyone has different tastes as to what he or she likes. What I thought was interesting about this article was that each contributor explained WHY he liked the song he chose, which made me want to revisit each song and give it another listen, trying to see it in the light of why this person liked it.

ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 854 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 09, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does no one like White Queen? Its been my fav Queen song from some time now, and I think it is so powerful and hard rocking.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 09, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great article

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 09, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

White Queen is adorable.

ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 854 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 09, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ParisNair wrote:

Does no one like White Queen? Its been my fav Queen song from some time now, and I think it is so powerful and hard rocking.

Oh I'm sorry, I meant to say White Man here.

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 09, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

White Man is excellent too :)
"A man who learned how to teach but forgot how to learn".

Angeline user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 09, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cacatua wrote:

We are all here because we love the music of Queen, but everyone has different tastes as to what he or she likes. What I thought was interesting about this article was that each contributor explained WHY he liked the song he chose, which made me want to revisit each song and give it another listen, trying to see it in the light of why this person liked it.

Enjoyable article - thanks for posting it.

ilikefreddyguy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 09, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote:

This is poor. Non Queen fans will be rushing to youtube to listen to the dregs, like More of that Jazz/Fun It/ She Makes Me/ Mustapha/Get Down Make Love etc......

Will do Queen no favours. Where's Sweet Sister/Long Away/You and I/You Take My Breath Away/Millionaire Waltz/etc....

Cool Cat??? ffs!

I LOVED Cool Cat. Hell, I loved the entire "Hot Space" album. It's such a shame when an artist can't broaden their horizon because of whiny fans who are afraid of a little change.

As far as I'm concerend anyone who considers "Hot Space" their worst album isn't a fan very much at all!

"It's only a bloody record, people get so excited about these things."

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1121 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 09, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, but I was a fan of theirs for eight years before the '5 years post Disco Demolition' LP was released, so.....

(side two is OK, but.........)

Moving on............the article was a fun and great read.  Like going down memory lane, with individuals who really knew the band.  Kudos for the 'She Makes Me' and 'Fun It' comments.  Always thought 'Fun It' should have been on side one of 'Jazz', between FGB and 'Bicycle Races'.  Sound and mix work so much better there than it's place on side two. 

The commentators also had such a great way with words.  Well done.

Thanks for the link.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 09, 23:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Six words:

The March Of The Black Queen

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 09, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

Six words:

The March Of The Black Queen

Abslolutely! One of the greatest songs of all time, and everyone ignores it. I really wish that Queen would rerelease it in a compliation. It deserves to be become much better known.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Dec 09, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BlazeGoldmine wrote:

I LOVED Cool Cat. Hell, I loved the entire "Hot Space" album. It's such a shame when an artist can't broaden their horizon because of whiny fans who are afraid of a little change.

As far as I'm concerend anyone who considers "Hot Space" their worst album isn't a fan very much at all!

Agreed.  It's easy to judge something based on its commercial success (or lack thereof).  For its ambitiousness alone, it's better than The Works or A Kind Of Magic.  And there's no doubt it influenced Thriller in some way, as MJ was into Queen at the time.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 09, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:
Agreed.  It's easy to judge something based on its commercial success (or lack thereof).  For its ambitiousness alone, it's better than The Works or A Kind Of Magic.  And there's no doubt it influenced Thriller in some way, as MJ was into Queen at the time.

I completely agree with Mister GH here.
I think I still have Hot Space as my fave in my QZ profile. I like it a lot, just as much as I like ANATO, Races and The Game, which are the albums I enjoy the most and I listen more frequently.

It was the last time Queen actually took a BIG RISK in an album. Mixed results, yes, but it still managed to get a #1 single in the UK and a couple of Top 20-ish hits in the U.S.

Glad that you mentioned MJ and the influence on Thriller. I found this article a while ago (it's from Dec. 2007). http://www.elperiodicoextremadura.com/noticias/noticia.asp?pkid=341044

It's in Spanish but the last bit translates to:

Michael Jackson has recently acknowledged that Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker was one of his references at the moment he put together Thriller. It was "a piece in which every song was an ace", he claims. But Queen's Hot Space was even more present during the recording.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Dec 09, 21:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote:

Michael Jackson has recently acknowledged that Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker was one of his references at the moment he put together Thriller. It was "a piece in which every song was an ace", he claims. But Queen's Hot Space was even more present during the recording.

Very cool !!

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 09, 22:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We'd already commented that, and I'd already mentioned that article. And the conclusion's the same:

Did HS influence Thriller? Yes. But:

Would Thriller still have existed without Hot Space? Yes.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1121 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 09, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote:
"
Michael Jackson has recently acknowledged that Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker was one of his references at the moment he put together Thriller. It was "a piece in which every song was an ace", he claims. But Queen's Hot Space was even more present during the recording."

RECENTLY acknowledged?!?!?!?

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff