Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen and Hollywood Records

forum rss feed
Author

vessel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 74 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Dec 09, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems that hollywood records is no longer wanting to promote Queen. They only released Q+PR Live In The Ukraine through Best Buy and did the same with Absolute Greatest. And the U.S. didn't get the book version and the LP version either. So it got me to thinking, could Queen leave Hollywood records and go to some other major U.S. label? and If they did would they re-release the albums again? What would be the best U.S. label for Queen?


skip user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Dec 09, 19:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



vessel wrote:

It seems that hollywood records is no longer wanting to promote Queen. They only released Q+PR Live In The Ukraine through Best Buy and did the same with Absolute Greatest. And the U.S. didn't get the book version and the LP version either. So it got me to thinking, could Queen leave Hollywood records and go to some other major U.S. label? and If they did would they re-release the albums again? What would be the best U.S. label for Queen?

Record companies are dead.  There's no need for them.  Go the exclusive release route and the band will make far more
money than if they went with a record company.








Brian May: "I like KISS a lot. I have a great regard for KISS 'cause it's all-out. They just had their vision, they had their dream, and they damn well went for it."

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Dec 09, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



 



 



skip wrote:



 



Record companies are dead.  There's no need for them.  Go the exclusive release route and the band will make far more
money than if they went with a record company.



 


Are you sure about that? It's Queen Productions we're talking about. I'm sure they'd find a way to fuck it up.

Their "100 Top Bootlegs" project was a mess, their digital releases suck big time and they can't even get a Virtual Store running properly.

Coming up:
- Official QueenOnline eBay auctions, with "exclusive" material and memorabilia (previously bought on eBay, of course), ran exclusively by a third party company that couldn't care less about the outcome.

- Official Queen Twitter channel, reproducing Brian's Soapbox rants in 140 characters or less. Brian will be, of course, 100% behind the project. Everybody knows he loves Twitter :P

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Dec 09, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Signing contract with Queen was very contradictory gesture by HR,  'cause Freddie was obviously dying in the late of 1990. I ain't sure if Queen really needs now in any labels in the States.


Benn Kempster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Dec 09, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No one would be interested in Queen in the US now.  They'd be better off signing to an independent label and getting their profile up in continental Europe and South America; no one else is bothered at all these days.

Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Dec 09, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's funny...I think us die-hards in the States are used to getting the shaft from both Hollywood Records and QPL for years now. Trying to do this 'pre-order' shit through 7digital online whatever the fuck is a waste of time. They are a rip off, and quite honestly, so is QPL.


I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Dec 09, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'No one would be interested in queen in the US now' . Well being featured on American Idol requires a high degree of respect and a high profile despite your personal opinion of these 'talent ' shows.



Master Marathon Runner
Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Dec 09, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Shafted Hollywood Records. When they signed them in 90/91, they damn well knew Freddie was at Death's door and instead of a signing with new albums and material they were left with just the back catalogue to promote. Queen didnt give a shit about their US fans after Hot Space, which lots of Us Fans rejected quite rightly in my view, as disco/pop crap.


"Give it to me one more time!"
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Dec 09, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote































































Russian Headlong wrote:































Queen Shafted Hollywood Records. When they signed them in 90/91, they damn well knew Freddie was at Death's door and instead of a signing with new albums and material they were left with just the back catalogue to promote.






























It's a fair suggestion worth speculating about, but when it comes down to it, the back catalogue will always be more marketable than new albums from an artist well past their commercial peak.

Unless you're AC/DC, U2, or Springsteen, your new album will probably go nowhere in the US if you started out in the 70s or 80s.  The record companies have made their choices of the select few older artists whose new albums will make them money, and will otherwise market new artists who cater to fads and have an image that will sell.  It's been like that for over 20 years now.

Like Frank Zappa said in the 80s - "Want to get a record contract?  Get a good wardrobe, and get a good barber.  Don't even worry about how you play.  They're not signing musicians anymore; they're signing models.  Make sure you look good."



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
gem27 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think to say that in 1991 when Hollywood Records signed up Queen it is a little bit naive to think that they did not know that Freddie was going to die soon. Far from shafting them, I would say that I'm sure when he died the Hollywood Records people were over the moon. When someone dies there is always a huge increase in sales of their previous stuff, be it music, books, movies or whatever.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote





.

Fucking shithole website

Benn Kempster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

master marathhon runner, re:

>> Well being featured on American Idol requires a high degree of respect and a high profile despite your personal opinion of these 'talent ' shows.

No it bloody well does not.  Its open to whichever artist is prepared to have their material bastardised for the gratification of a completely mindless element of the music world.

Is it any wonder that The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Bruce Springsteen etc have never managed to feature on this incredibly high brow piece of entertainment scheduling?

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Benn Kempster wrote:

master marathhon runner, re:

>> Well being featured on American Idol requires a high degree of respect and a high profile despite your personal opinion of these 'talent ' shows.

No it bloody well does not.  Its open to whichever artist is prepared to have their material bastardised for the gratification of a completely mindless element of the music world.

Is it any wonder that The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Bruce Springsteen etc have never managed to feature on this incredibly high brow piece of entertainment scheduling?




Erm, "American Idol," I do believe, did in fact feature the Beatles....for two weeks in fact. So if the  most popular and respected band in the world was on there then.......it's damn well ok if Queen got some time too.




The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Dec 09, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nobody ever said Idol shows were about talent.  They're about entertainment.

If more people vote on American Idol than at elections, then what's the problem if Beatles and Queen songs reach this many people at once?  Sounds like a good marketing strategy to me.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Dec 09, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



Sir GH wrote:



Nobody ever said Idol shows were about talent.  They're about entertainment.

If more people vote on American Idol than at elections, then what's the problem if Beatles and Queen songs reach this many people at once?  Sounds like a good marketing strategy to me.



 



"Yeah, but what about artist's integrity?... yadda yadda... street cred... yadda yadda... sell outs... blah blah..."



 



Nah, not really.



 



I sincerely wouldn't mind if Queen had a huge marketing machine like Kiss'. Those guys really know how to sell stuff!



 



I want to buy Queen action figures, I want T-shirts that don't look like shit, I want a Q+PR lunch box.



I want Brian May to appear on the TV telling me which conditioner I should use; I want to see Roger Taylor as permanent judge to the X-Factor (the nasty one) and I want John Deacon in a life insurance company commercial. He does seem to know about living the quiet life. :)