Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > John's input concerning One Vision

forum rss feed
Author

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, what did he contribute, since the song is credited as a Queen composition? Any words at all? Did he compose some musical bits? Or did they just credit him for the sake of it?

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For the sake of it... maybe there wasn't enough space in the sleeve so they had to put only one or two words, and a credit like 'Lyrics first sketched by Taylor but then "that rotter Freddie" changed all his words, while May concentrated for a while in an "I've got it ... I've got it... no, I don't!" way; music chiefly composed by May although Taylor had some ideas for the riff and some drum bits were arranged and conducted by Mercury as well as the melody'.

Instead, they went for 'Queen' and that was it.

For Stone Cold Crazy it was a similar case since the song was already played before Deaks joined.

With the whole joint-credit rule they adapted for 'Miracle', 'Innuendo' and some 'Made in Heaven', John's the one who got most favoured, as he contributed muh less than the others but still received 25% of the publishing royalties. Likewise, Fred contributied more but received the same as the others, but since he was dying he wouldn't need to spend a lot of cash anyway.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Pim Derks user is on Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I doubt John's input in the track was big - in the making-of video we see Brian writing the intro, Freddy and Roger writing the words - while John is doing a silly dance. I'm sure he contributed his bits - but they're probably smaller than the input from the rest of the band. Funny thing BTW, in the new Absolute Greatest booklet is a picture of the original lyricsheet from One Vision and it includes some lines from A Kind Of Magic :)

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"one god damn...."

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sebastian

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

I doubt John's input in the track was big - in the making-of video we see Brian writing the intro, Freddy and Roger writing the words - while John is doing a silly dance. I'm sure he contributed his bits - but they're probably smaller than the input from the rest of the band. Funny thing BTW, in the new Absolute Greatest booklet is a picture of the original lyricsheet from One Vision and it includes some lines from A Kind Of Magic :)

The whole 'one..., one...' pattern is found in both songs, which suggest they could've at least partly stemmed from around the same time and from the same person.

I think in the 'Making of...' John does say that although the track's credited to Queen, it's a Taylor, May & Mercury thing.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Toothbrushes and towels from hotel. He was on vacation when the rest of the band have started sessions.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Seb: True. John's honesty is quite admirable, isn't it?

Thanks for the answers. :-)

And Serry, I should have known, of course. Useless topic ;-)

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Sebastian

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

@Seb: True. John's honesty is quite admirable, isn't it?

Maylor could learn a thing or two from Deacy.

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In any event he is the only band-member mentioned by name in the song, albeit in an earlier version.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

QUEENexpert user not visiting Queenzone.com
QUEENexpert
Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember in the making video, John said something about the writing mostly being Freddie, Roger, and, Brian. So I'm guessing he contributed a little bit just not much. And besides, that video wasn't the entire making of One Vision.

"Black on, black on, every fingernail and toe we've only begun begun."
Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

As i've said somewhere else.I reckon they got that wrong.

I reckon that these lyrics ARE A Kind Of Magic and not One Vision as they said in the book.You'd think that they'd get that right.

Althought the line "One flash of light" does appear on both songs

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1788 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Toothbrushes and towels from hotel. He was on vacation when the rest of the band have started sessions.

Yes,  I think he was skiing or something like that.

Joyful the sound
Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 09, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

For the sake of it... maybe there wasn't enough space in the sleeve so they had to put only one or two words, and a credit like 'Lyrics first sketched by Taylor but then "that rotter Freddie" changed all his words, while May concentrated for a while in an "I've got it ... I've got it... no, I don't!" way; music chiefly composed by May although Taylor had some ideas for the riff and some drum bits were arranged and conducted by Mercury as well as the melody'.

Instead, they went for 'Queen' and that was it.

For Stone Cold Crazy it was a similar case since the song was already played before Deaks joined.

With the whole joint-credit rule they adapted for 'Miracle', 'Innuendo' and some 'Made in Heaven', John's the one who got most favoured, as he contributed muh less than the others but still received 25% of the publishing royalties. Likewise, Fred contributied more but received the same as the others, but since he was dying he wouldn't need to spend a lot of cash anyway.

And it was Freddie's idea to credite songs to Queen...

"All you need is love"