Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Steve Walsh (lead singer of Kansas) bashing Freddie in interview

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 02:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.classicbands.com/KansasInterview.html
Here's the concerning lines:
Q - Tell me some of the groups Kansas opened for in the mid-70s. Do you recall?





A - Well, yeah. We did Queen, Mott The Hoople. Hell, we did everybody. 



Q - How were you treated by these people? 



A - Real good. Queen and Mott The Hoople were fantastic. Real nice people, except Freddie, the lead singer for Queen. He was an ass hole. But, everybody else was great. All of the guys in Mott The Hoople were fantastic. They were just great to us. 



Q - What was the problem with Freddie Mercury? 



A - I don't know. He was a prima donna...diva if you will. That word was not meant to be a compliment, although a lot of people consider it to be. That's bullshit. That's having an ego having bigger than you are talented, bigger than you deserved. That's what being a diva is. That's what a prima donna is and that's what Freddie was. 



Something tells me that Steve was JEALOUS of Freddie!




I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
skip user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Gregsynth wrote:

http://www.classicbands.com/KansasInterview.html
Here's the concerning lines:
Q - Tell me some of the groups Kansas opened for in the mid-70s. Do you recall?

 



 



 



A - Well, yeah. We did Queen, Mott The Hoople. Hell, we did everybody. 



 



Q - How were you treated by these people? 



 



A - Real good. Queen and Mott The Hoople were fantastic. Real nice people, except Freddie, the lead singer for Queen. He was an ass hole. But, everybody else was great. All of the guys in Mott The Hoople were fantastic. They were just great to us. 



 



Q - What was the problem with Freddie Mercury? 



 



A - I don't know. He was a prima donna...diva if you will. That word was not meant to be a compliment, although a lot of people consider it to be. That's bullshit. That's having an ego having bigger than you are talented, bigger than you deserved. That's what being a diva is. That's what a prima donna is and that's what Freddie was. 



 



Something tells me that Steve was JEALOUS of Freddie!



 


No, Steve didn't like Freddie or his behavior.  It had nothing to do with being jealous.









Brian May: "I like KISS a lot. I have a great regard for KISS 'cause it's all-out. They just had their vision, they had their dream, and they damn well went for it."

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 05:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not that this would be the website to get an unbiased view of him.  He probably was an asshole at the time.  Success tends to throw famous people's personalities out of whack for a while.  On the other hand, some folk (like Ted Neeley) go through it and remain salt-of-the-earth.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think we're all a bunch of things.  Freddie is certainly on record as being difficult and irritating at times, and it's hard to undo initial impressions.  If he rubbed Walsh the wrong way at the beginning it would have coloured every interaction that followed. So I'm definintely willing to accept that in his experience, Freddie was an asshole.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well precisely, it all comes down to experience.  If you never see someone do a good deed, it's slightly tougher to believe they are capable of one...


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was Freddie. Take it or leave it.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Big woman made an asshole out of him


Benn Kempster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like a fairly decent appraisal of what he thought of him to me.

Can't argue with it.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From another angle, do people appreciate the honesty and forthrightness of this interview relating to music and touring as an act of financial necessity? Perhaps unreasonably, I do expect bands/musicians to keep those kinds of sentiments to themselves.

vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liking or disliking someone is a right everybody has. We are biased because we're Queen fans but in Walsh's behalf, he knew Freddie, we didn't.


Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie isn't an asshole-Steve Walsh is, and I can back that up:
I was listening to some of Steve's solo stuff on Youtube and alot of people were saying "I met him in real life, he's a real asshole." One guy is in a Kansas cover band, and he said that Steve treated him and Kansas' fans like shit. He also said that the rest of band are a great group of guys and EVEN THEY want to know why he acts like that. My guess is that Steve was already getting an ego back when he started touring with Kansas and when Freddie first saw him, he probably called him out, citing his attitude and then some argument flared up. I'm thinking Steve thinks this: "Freddie's dead, so I can just talk about anything."
I have NEVER heard anything bad said about Freddie (except for Steve's interview). Freddie comes across as a decent, kind, sincere, and has a great sense of humor in both his interviews, and his performances. Take a look at one interview from 1985: The interviewer said quote: "Freddie is very pleasant when he walks in."
If Freddie DID have an ego/acted like a prima donna in his early career, he probably got over it real quick.




I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stevie who


I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Bo Rhap wrote:

Stevie who

Steve Walsh: Lead Singer and keyboardist for the American progressive rock band, kansas.








I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
ilikefreddyguy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was Freddie Mercury, a big monstrous asshole! A diva who sucked up all the attention. Ratty himself said his first impression of Freddie was "what a prat."

That, was FREDDIE MERCURY, the stage persona, not Freddie Mercury the sweet, introverted character offstage.

Plus, my uncle knew Stevie, said he was a major prick who would get pissed off if the conversation wasn't about him.

And as far as Freddie's ego being bigger than his talent, just wait until Steve there kicks the bucket and see how many stars attend HIS Tribute concert, haha, or how many statues world-wide he gets.


ilikefreddyguy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 09, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Serry... wrote:

Big woman made an asshole out of him

And I just love you for that.







Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Dec 09, 00:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



BlazeGoldmine wrote:

That was Freddie Mercury, a big monstrous asshole! A diva who sucked up all the attention. Ratty himself said his first impression of Freddie was "what a prat."

That, was FREDDIE MERCURY, the stage persona, not Freddie Mercury the sweet, introverted character offstage.

Plus, my uncle knew Stevie, said he was a major prick who would get pissed off if the conversation wasn't about him.

And as far as Freddie's ego being bigger than his talent, just wait until Steve there kicks the bucket and see how many stars attend HIS Tribute concert, haha, or how many statues world-wide he gets.

You got it spot on: There's two Freddie's--the flamboyant, charismatic frontman on stage, and the quiet, shy guy off-stage.And the last sentence made me laugh!









I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
fmarsong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Dec 09, 01:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

steve who?....he's just envious of Freddie let him go to hell


aiza
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Dec 09, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



fmarsong wrote:

steve who?....he's just envious of Freddie let him go to hell

That's what I think.








I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Dec 09, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Gregsynth wrote:



 



Bo Rhap wrote:



Stevie who


Steve Walsh: Lead Singer and keyboardist for the American progressive rock band, kansas.







I know.Its a sarcastic comment







I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Dec 09, 05:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think i have ever heard a song by Kansas,are they any good ? I imagine they would be in the Boston,Journey style ?