Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Will Queen ever tour again???

forum rss feed
Author

cjhill user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 09, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all,

Im new to this board and also have only really been a serious Queen fan for a year or so.

I came across the 'Wembley 86' concert on one of the sky music channels. I was just blown away by the whole thing and eventually bought the DVD Since then my ipod has become cluttered with queen songs, i love them all. Hammer To Fall and Tie your mother down have to be 2 of my favs.
Just out of pure interest i bought the Q+PR live in Ukraine dvd not expecting it to be that good but man i was wrong!
Brian and Roger still have what it takes to perform infront of an audience and if anything i thought they were perhaps better than in the wembley dvd, Rogers' drumming was nothing short of phenomenal. Although Paul Rodgers does a great job as lead singer, nobody will ever replace Freddie, nor should they every try!

It seems now though since the split with PR that Brian is reluctant to tour whilst Roger still has the bug. They are both well....lets say...'getting on a bit' and that leaves me thinking that if they're ever going to tour again it'll have to be in the next 2-4 years (ruling out a 2010 tour). I know they dont need to to this for money or publicity but they proved over their last few tours that they can still bring in the crowds and if the demand is there, surely thats encouraging.  Somehow i cant see it though, after the split with PR, would they even dare teaming up with anyone again? There was a mention about them doing a few shows with Freddie singing on big screen with Roger and Brian also sharing vocals, that would be better than nothing. My biggest regret is that i missed the 05,06,08 tours. I just wanna see Queen perform live, bet its an awesome experience



TheRobin user not visiting Queenzone.com
TheRobin

add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 09, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



cjhill wrote:

Hi all,

Im new to this board and also have only really been a serious Queen fan for a year or so.

I came across the 'Wembley 86' concert on one of the sky music channels. I was just blown away by the whole thing and eventually bought the DVD Since then my ipod has become cluttered with queen songs, i love them all. Hammer To Fall and Tie your mother down have to be 2 of my favs.
Just out of pure interest i bought the Q+PR live in Ukraine dvd not expecting it to be that good but man i was wrong!
Brian and Roger still have what it takes to perform infront of an audience and if anything i thought they were perhaps better than in the wembley dvd, Rogers' drumming was nothing short of phenomenal. Although Paul Rodgers does a great job as lead singer, nobody will ever replace Freddie, nor should they every try!

It seems now though since the split with PR that Brian is reluctant to tour whilst Roger still has the bug. They are both well....lets say...'getting on a bit' and that leaves me thinking that if they're ever going to tour again it'll have to be in the next 2-4 years (ruling out a 2010 tour). I know they dont need to to this for money or publicity but they proved over their last few tours that they can still bring in the crowds and if the demand is there, surely thats encouraging.  Somehow i cant see it though, after the split with PR, would they even dare teaming up with anyone again? There was a mention about them doing a few shows with Freddie singing on big screen with Roger and Brian also sharing vocals, that would be better than nothing. My biggest regret is that i missed the 05,06,08 tours. I just wanna see Queen perform live, bet its an awesome experience



Oh, don't get me started, I feel the exact same way! I really do wish I had been a fan much earlier, because I could have attended the concerts with Paul Rodgers. I have the Ukraine DVD as well and I too was completely blown away!

Sadly I wasn't even born, much less thought about, when Queen, with Freddie, did the last concert at Knebworth in 1986.

I REALLY do hope that they tour again! I'm going crazy at the prospect of seeing Queen live in person!

Having Freddie on the big screen singing the alphabet is enough to satisfy me. I'd love to hear Brian May and Roger Taylor singing their songs as well. I just wonder if they are going to get another singer or are they going to do it on their own. Whatever they choose to do I'm going to the show regardless. I don't even care what country it's in, I'm going!

My biggest hope for a concert is hearing Brian perform '39, I will be singing my ass off!


queenfanbg user not visiting Queenzone.com
queenfanbg
Bohemian: 305 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Dec 09, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Will Queen ever tour again???"

Actually , last time was 1986 and i believe they wont tour again.



"Queen are: Freddie Mercury,Roger Taylor, John Deacon and Brian May"
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Dec 09, 03:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes, 86 was the last queen show, but I hope brian and roger tour with a guest singer. Under a different name of course.   Put the Queen name to rest.   Go on as "the brian may and roger talyor band" with guest singer?.....hopefully not paul rodgers!....the singer from extreme or that soto guy.

Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Dec 09, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw them in San Diego in '06, and hands down was the best show I ever saw. We can only hope...but no guarantees...


I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Dec 09, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen will never tour again.
May & Taylor & X ?
My crystal ball is tarnish right now...



Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Dec 09, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen + Chris Cornell(fingers crossed)

Queen + DAVID BOWIE!(Where is the old bastard?)

Queen + Robert Plant(not gonna happen though it´d be fucking sweet)

Queen + Tim Staffell(Smile, anyone?)

And yes, even though I wish the same as you all do, that they lay the Queen name to rest, it´s not gonna happen.


It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Dec 09, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never thought about Chris Cornell (seriously) but I do know from hearing a Soundgarden track that Brian guested on that those two things go very well together (the voice & guitar). I think a Smile reunion would be really cool...no Queen fan in their right mind would slam that. Bowie & Plant just don't have it anymore...I've even less cared for Plant's voice...I like his group called 'The Strange Sensation?' that he's been doing stuff with though. I saw 'em live in Washington in '06. Best concert I've ever been to...and I've seen a majority of the BIG veteran classic rock acts that are still touring. I agree w/ 'cjhill' & 'TheRobin.' It would be a travesty for them to stop playing music.



"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 09, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope so but I hope not.

I want to see them, but I know that they'll only choose a disappointing format (backup singers, predictable set, another irritating guest vocalist) so if that's the case then I'd rather they didn't.

I'd sell my liver to be able to see Brian and Roger live, doing what they're good at, but if the proviso is that I have to put up with an irrelevant lead vocalist who can't even read the words from an auto-cue, then I'll stick to watching them on Youtube.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 09, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol,  paul rodgers is a great vocalist, but he's not good for brian and roger.  I don't think it worked. I even remember david lee roth said that when he had his show here in ny.  That paul didn't fit with queen.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 09, 05:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Will they tour

I would say baring an unforseen situation it is pretty much set in stone that thye will go out again at somepoint before bowing out completely, will it be a full tour...? I doubt it, but maybe, I would imagine a few warm up gigs in th UK and maybe something around Europe if it goes well...then who knows?

But my guess is something 2011 but nothing before except the odd pop up appearance

Hopw you get to see them, they are still awsome


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 09, 06:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



redspecialusa wrote:

I never thought about Chris Cornell (seriously) but I do know from hearing a Soundgarden track that Brian guested on that those two things go very well together (the voice & guitar). I think a Smile reunion would be really cool...no Queen fan in their right mind would slam that. Bowie & Plant just don't have it anymore...I've even less cared for Plant's voice...I like his group called 'The Strange Sensation?' that he's been doing stuff with though. I saw 'em live in Washington in '06. Best concert I've ever been to...and I've seen a majority of the BIG veteran classic rock acts that are still touring. I agree w/ 'cjhill' & 'TheRobin.' It would be a travesty for them to stop playing music.

I have no idea wheter David´s still got it, and neither should you. Unless you know him.

No offence dude but have you seen the Realitytour DVD?

If he got it five years ago aswell as forty years ago, I´m pretty sure he still got it. The only problem is to find the stone he´s hiding under :)



Zebonka12 wrote: I hope so but I hope not.
I want to see them, but I know that they'll only choose a disappointing format (backup singers, predictable set, another irritating guest vocalist) so if that's the case then I'd rather they didn't.




I'd sell my liver to be able to see Brian and Roger live, doing what they're good at, but if the proviso is that I have to put up with an irrelevant lead vocalist who can't even read the words from an auto-cue, then I'll stick to watching them on Youtube.




I hear you. Two words: One Vision.








It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 09, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Major Tom wrote:







redspecialusa wrote:



I never thought about Chris Cornell (seriously) but I do know from hearing a Soundgarden track that Brian guested on that those two things go very well together (the voice & guitar). I think a Smile reunion would be really cool...no Queen fan in their right mind would slam that. Bowie & Plant just don't have it anymore...I've even less cared for Plant's voice...I like his group called 'The Strange Sensation?' that he's been doing stuff with though. I saw 'em live in Washington in '06. Best concert I've ever been to...and I've seen a majority of the BIG veteran classic rock acts that are still touring. I agree w/ 'cjhill' & 'TheRobin.' It would be a travesty for them to stop playing music.


I have no idea wheter David´s still got it, and neither should you. Unless you know him.

No offence dude but have you seen the Realitytour DVD?

If he got it five years ago aswell as forty years ago, I´m pretty sure he still got it. The only problem is to find the stone he´s hiding under :)



You do realize that for Zeppelin's reunion gig at the O2, they had to lower the key of most of the material they played? When he performed w/ Queen at the Freddie tribute concert, (as of 1992) he still had it (the vocal range)...& made Paul Rodgers looked like he near perfect memory of the lyrics to Queen's material. I haven't seen the Realitytour DVD, I will definitely check it out. Peace, man.








"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May
Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 09, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was talking about Bowie but hey, they´re both in their 60s right?

I do realise that they lowered the songs for the O2 gig and I have no doubt whatsoever that Freddie would have to do the same, had he been still with us and touring. I think, talking Led Zep now, they all did a exelent job that night, and I´m sure the´d fill stadiums around the world, had they toured it. By "got it" I ment they still have the stamina, will and phyche to do it. Not being able to sing the songs they recorded back in the 70´s in their "right" key, is less important, IMO.


It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 09, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

roger said 2010... so.... i'll wait



P.A
philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 09, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know what everybody is getting their knickers in a twist over ! Yes Roger & Brian will tour again in some form or other ,its what they do !! No i don't think its a good idea to have Freddie singing on a big screen.I would like a live show with live vocals.Hire a good vocalist there are lots of singers who would jump at the chance to work with Brian and Roger.When the shows happen, just enjoy them for what they are and don't come online wetting your pants cos it ain't as good as Freddie !! Cheers to all our readers have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and now i really must go and take a peake at my mervyns !!!!!!!!!!!!

coops user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 09, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel for some of you young guys.  I was fortunate to have seen them in 1976, several times in the 80's and twice with PR. Enjoyed every damm one of them, particularly the last show in Jax  Florida coz we were front row at the end of the T and PR winked at my wife.  Perhaps he was winking at me?  Naw.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 09, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



redspecialusa wrote:

You do realize that for Zeppelin's reunion gig at the O2, they had to lower the key of most of the material they played? 


I personally do not think they 'had' to.  There were points during the set at which Plant hit the notes that would have been required of him had the whole set been in the original keys.  

I'm assuming that changing the keys was a sort of insurance policy, as maybe he felt he wouldn't make the whole show, and fair enough.  But each song taken by itself is still within his reach - whether he's aware of that or not.  Singing is as much a mental thing as a physical one though, of course.








"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Dec 09, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



coops wrote:

  I feel for some of you young guys.  I was fortunate to have seen them in 1976, several times in the 80's and twice with PR. Enjoyed every damm one of them, particularly the last show in Jax  Florida coz we were front row at the end of the T and PR winked at my wife.  Perhaps he was winking at me?  Naw.

You're very lucky. I was born 1 year before their Milton Keynes gig and I "almost" got to their Budapest gig, unfortunately my parents thought it's not a good idea to let a 5 years old to a rock concert ;)







Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Dec 09, 07:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



pittrek wrote:



 



coops wrote:



  I feel for some of you young guys.  I was fortunate to have seen them in 1976, several times in the 80's and twice with PR. Enjoyed every damm one of them, particularly the last show in Jax  Florida coz we were front row at the end of the T and PR winked at my wife.  Perhaps he was winking at me?  Naw.


You're very lucky. I was born 1 year before their Milton Keynes gig and I "almost" got to their Budapest gig, unfortunately my parents thought it's not a good idea to let a 5 years old to a rock concert ;)







hehe, same happened to me with their Barcelona ´86 gig; I was dying for attending that show, but I was only 10 years old and my parents also thought it was no good idea :(

btw Peter, I´ve been on holidays; I´ll start working on your last request soon :)




Bring out the charge of the love brigade