Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Marked the 30th anniversary concert for the people of Kampuchea

forum rss feed
Author

neokaden user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 97 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 09, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First, forgive my poor English, a language is not fluent.

Well, it makes little, just two days ago, marked the 30th anniversary since the concert for the people of Kampuchea (Cambodia), this legendary concert is part of the grand tour "crazy", mythical because it was where Freddie reached the highest notes of all tours.

That's why a resurgent debate why that queenproduction has not officially released this concert on DVD?, Sound is the problem they have, but I think it's solvable with high-quality bootleg circulating. (Though unfortunately Freddie's voice is heard far away), I personally I am looking forward to the official DVD, but every time I see farthest launch.

The best live version of bohemian rhapsody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEKlXgEGOA
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 09, 20:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Productions wouldn't bother relesing marvellous stuff such as that Hammersmith concert, DTS versions of Queen II or ADATR, or further 'Making of ...' documentaries, when they know they can make much more money by regurgitating the same old shite over and over again.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 09, 06:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The reason is simple - the soundboard multitracks were "lost" . That's the reason why all released segments feature the not -so-good-quality sound captured by the video cameras

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 09, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who was responsible for these multi-tracks, cos that's kind of unforgivable? Were all the MTs for all performing acts lost?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 09, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a bloody shame, because that version of Now I'm Here on the Kampuchea LP sounds better than anything on Live Killers.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 09, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The 30th anniversary already? Wow.

So, take that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjHN26VyKyM

Here you've got some brilliant bass-playing and a perfect piece of music. 

: -))

Cheers.

PS: Uh, I wished Queen's performance were officially released too, but I can't see that happening in the next 20 years. Contrary to what Al Bore had been saying, though, we'll not die - and nor will the cute polar bears which can both swim and catch fish -  in the next few years due to global warming. So, maybe I get to see this one on the shelves someday and watch it with my grandchildren, who are going to ask me whether Freddie was gay and all this stuff...

The world never really changes. OBAMA knows that better than anyone.

Yara

Posted: 29 Dec 09, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

The reason is simple - the soundboard multitracks were "lost" . That's the reason why all released segments feature the not -so-good-quality sound captured by the video cameras

But still, do not find that warrants that have not released an official DVD of this concert, considering, besides that you can achieve a decent material, mixing the audio of "complete concert of the Kampuchea" and the "audio console mono format "which I understand is still preserved.
And an example of that is worth the dvd release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEKlXgEGOA>

Posted: 29 Dec 09, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Van Basten 9 wrote:

Who was responsible for these multi-tracks, cos that's kind of unforgivable? Were all the MTs for all performing acts lost?
You have to find that out, find it inconceivable that they have not saved the audio tracks as memorable concert.

I think we should make a formal request to Queen Production, perhaps a miracle and something happens like what happened with the concert of Queen in "Hammersmith Odeon 75.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 02:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How many of the major seventies bands were filmed at their peak? Well, I think that with this show Queen WAS filmed at their peak...

Not having the proper audio is just.... there are no words for it....

BUT, if they managed to find the multitrack for Hammy'75 which were also 'lost', then maybe the same will happen with Hammy'79... That's what I hope.

I haven't heard the LP Now I'm here from Hammy'79. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

on my way up

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 02:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't seen the clips going with the Absolute Greatest release yet, so can anyone tell me what audio sources were used for the clips of this concert...

I read on Queenlive.ca that the one song sounded superior to the other... What's the explanation for that?

on my way up
pittrek

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

I haven't seen the clips going with the Absolute Greatest release yet, so can anyone tell me what audio sources were used for the clips of this concert...

I read on Queenlive.ca that the one song sounded superior to the other... What's the explanation for that?

I have seen Now I'm Here from AG and I have to say it sounds worse than the audience source, and MUCH worse than the Kampuchea LP. Also I'd say it sounds slightly worse than the 80's TV broadcast

pittrek

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

The 30th anniversary already? Wow.

So, take that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjHN26VyKyM

Here you've got some brilliant bass-playing and a perfect piece of music. 

: -))

Cheers.

PS: Uh, I wished Queen's performance were officially released too, but I can't see that happening in the next 20 years. Contrary to what Al Bore had been saying, though, we'll not die - and nor will the cute polar bears which can both swim and catch fish -  in the next few years due to global warming. So, maybe I get to see this one on the shelves someday and watch it with my grandchildren, who are going to ask me whether Freddie was gay and all this stuff...

The world never really changes. OBAMA knows that better than anyone.

Wonderful, do you know how much of the footage survived ? I tried to find as many songs from as many bands as possible from this "mini-festival" but all I found was the Queen audio, part of the Queen video, the Clash audio and the 1980 film featuring many of the artists

pittrek

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

neokaden wrote:

pittrek wrote:

But still, do not find that warrants that have not released an official DVD of this concert, considering, besides that you can achieve a decent material, mixing the audio of "complete concert of the Kampuchea" and the "audio console mono format "which I understand is still preserved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEKlXgEGOA [/QUOTE]

So you think they should use the BOOTLEG audio ? I don't think it's realistic since Greg Brooks (and as reported by him also Brian May) hate sounds of the audience recordings. However it's currently the best thing WE can get

pittrek

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

I haven't heard the LP Now I'm here from Hammy'79. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Once I shared here a compilation of all available sources, Now I'm Here was taken from the LP and cross-faded in the beginning and the end with the audience recording if I remember correctly. Did you download it ?

I'm not sure but I think this is the LP source http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50RKT0Umqdw , I have to check it

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

on my way up wrote:

Once I shared here a compilation of all available sources, Now I'm Here was taken from the LP and cross-faded in the beginning and the end with the audience recording if I remember correctly. Did you download it ?

I'm not sure but I think this is the LP source http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50RKT0Umqdw> , I have to check it

I should have it then! I will check my harddrive for it.  I remember you did a brilliant job:-)

Lately I've had little time for my collection because I started working 3 months ago so the lazy days are over:-)

on my way up

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 07:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, I find it's about time that Greg shows up again...:-)

He always knows how to make us enthusiastic about products that do not happen...

He SHOULD tell us a bit more about Hammy'79. If I remember correctly, Brian has never ever said anything about this show on his site... would like to hear from him too...

on my way up
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I asked Greg about a possible release about a year ago. His response was that they would love to release it, because QP agrees that it is the best unissued video recording they have, and probably the most marketable, but that they only have a stereo downmix *of the original multitrack* (so not the mono console recording), which is of insufficient quality for an official release according to the band themselves.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

neokaden wrote:

pittrek wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEKlXgEGOA [/QUOTE]

So you think they should use the BOOTLEG audio ? I don't think it's realistic since Greg Brooks (and as reported by him also Brian May) hate sounds of the audience recordings. However it's currently the best thing WE can get

---

Of course, but I do not say that, but should rather say that bootleg mixed with the sound console (which I understand that if they have a copy)

In addition, there I heard that other channels broadcast the event live, or the signal received to the concert, and therefore, may eventually have a copy of the broadcast on TV, so it's something that Queen Production make necessary arrangements.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We just need a clever way to indicate to QP that a raw stereo mix is not such a bad thing after all.  Plenty of bands have released old concerts in stereo sound.. even mono!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 09, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Only when Brian dies.

I'm sorry, but he has a finger in every pie.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."