forum rss feed
Author

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jan 10, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anvil: the documentary. Anyone watched it? A real-life spinal tap, unintentionally funny at times (for example, when Lips says hyperbolically that he would jump off a cliff to be successful, and his drummer, not understanding it was a figure of speech, heroically says he would stop him) and also a bit sad when you see how much effort they've put in, where they've gone wrong, and their attempts to figure out why no one will give them a break or why they're not more successful. Best thing I've seen in ages.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3668 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 10, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is 'Anvil'?

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 12 Jan 10, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote:

What is 'Anvil'?

This is Anvil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFdtPAlzO0

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 10, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, and it's a truly great rock film. Full of  hilarious, sometimes heartbreaking wisdom.

Official trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF4H8lB2Y_o

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 10, 07:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been wanting to get this documentary for a while now. I saw them live last year.... They were great!

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 10, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Havn't seen this yet....anvil was a good metal band. I remember when they were about to hit it big when metal on metal was released.  Obviously it never happened for them.  Glad they're doing good.

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 01 Jul 10, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone recommend any other good rockumentaries? The Iron Maiden film about their 666 tour was excellent, as was 'It Might Get Loud'  with Jack White, Jimmy Page and the Edge (although it would've been better with a real guitar ace like Vai instead of the Edge).

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 10, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd like a sequel.  It Might Get Louderer, with like .... Pete Townshend, someone like Eddie Van Halen or Steve Vai in the middle, and ... not sure who I'd pick from now.  Maybe it'd put bums on seats if you get the guy from Muse but I don't think it'd be justifiable to put him in with names like those.  In fact the same goes for Jack White and the guys in his movie, to be honest.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 10, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jack White doesn't have a guitar hero's chops, but he has the visual and mystical side covered.  He's the closest thing I've ever seen to capturing the raw energy of a band like Led Zeppelin.  He's definitely a guitar hero in that respect, I think.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 01 Jul 10, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not a huge fan of his band but I thought White came across very well in the documentary. He certainly has the right attitude as far as I'm concerned. As for the Edge, the best I can say about him is that he has his own sound that's very recognisable, and that shouldn't be under-appreciated, but I realy don't think he's a good guitarist, never mind a great one. Billy Gibbons would've been a better fit in 'It Might Get Loud', or even someone like Angus Young. Page was just completely and totally awesome in the film -- everything from his dress to his record collection to his licks was just ... cool.

ps I like the idea of It Might Get Loud 2 and Townsend would be a good start. Richie Blackmore and Brian May might be a winning trio, especially if Brian wears his Union jack top hat.

GratefulFan

Posted: 01 Jul 10, 22:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage is out on DVD as of this week.  I've ordered, but it's not arrived so I can't personally recommend it  yet.  It was well reviewed.

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 02 Jul 10, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote: Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage is out on DVD as of this week.  I've ordered, but it's not arrived so I can't personally recommend it  yet.  It was well reviewed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good call. That's now next on my list.

GratefulFan

Posted: 03 Jul 10, 20:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Figured out today that the guys who did the Rush doc are the same guys who did the Flight 666 film.  And that they did a couple others before, as described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal:_A_Headbanger%27s_Journey