Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Did Freddie ever touch the red special?

forum rss feed
Author

Projector Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 113 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jan 10, 03:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

took the time to send this message to Peter Freestone and that gem of a man took the time to respond!
Hey Peter, 

Thanks for accepting my friends request. I just have a quick Queen related question that I'm sure you get a lot, and no worries if you don't have time to answer me back, I know you're busy. I wrote to Brian and he didn't respond but I was just wondering if you knew of any times in the studio or live backstage that Freddie was maybe given a chance by Brian to play his guitar, the red special, or maybe for Freddie to teach Brian how to play a riff he was thinking in his head. I was just wondering because no pictures of Freddie holding the red special have ever surfaced.

Thanks again from America!

[url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=773358611][img=http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v222/975/6/q773358611_1811.jpg][/img][/url]Peter Freestone January 15 at 7:29amI never saw Fredie with the red special in his hands. If he wanted Brian to play a specific riff he would normally demonstrate it vocally. It was true Freddie had very little knowledge of playing a guitar!

Take care
Peter

So I suppose this roves that Freddie never really held the red special, though we know Brian let Paul use it before backstage.

Attachment: 100216901464293.jpg 51 KB
This has been downloaded 125 time(s).

Projector Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 113 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 10, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awesome the formatting was wayyy off, but heres what Peter said:
I never saw Fredie with the red special in his hands. If he wanted Brian to play a specific riff he would normally demonstrate it vocally. It was true Freddie had very little knowledge of playing a guitar!

Take care
Peter

and the attachment is this link:

http://brianmayguitars.co.uk/images/roadiecam/bmg_photo9.jpg

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 10, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's one pic of Fred plucking the strings and Brian making the chord shapes. It was just a moment during a concert, nothing special.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 10, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Paul teaching Brian to play Smoke on the Water"

Very good lol

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 10, 06:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Teaching Freddie's favourite song to Freddie's favourite singer??

Could there be a bigger coup!?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1129 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 10, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am sorry, but my mind was sooooooooo in the gutter when I read this question.........

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 10, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

"Paul teaching Brian to play Smoke on the Water"

Very good lol

That always bugged me, the "teaching" part considering Brian, Roger and Paul played on the Rock Aid Armenia version of SOTW back in '89!

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 10, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd like to know what Pim thinks about Freddy and the red special...

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 10, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Projector Freddie wrote:

So I suppose this proves that Freddie never really held the red special, though we know Brian let Paul use it before backstage.

Its doesnt prove anything actually. For all we know, Freddie may have played or touched Brian's guitar before Peter got to know him.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Sebastian

Posted: 17 Jan 10, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And/or after Peter met him but he didn't see or doesn't remember. I can just picture it:

(Fred mixes laxative in his wine and has a conspiracy smile)

Freddie: Phoebe, drink this dear.
Phoebe: OK.

(Ten minutes later).

Pheebs: I've gotta go...
Fred: Brian, quickly! Gimme the RS, that way QZ people will prove PF wrong LO.
Brian: OK.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 10, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure freddie touched brians Instrument,  and he enjoyed every minute of it......That's what the song "i'm scared" was about.   One day the truth will cum out,  and brian will write a tell all book about the experience of freddie touching his red special. [img=/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif][/img]

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3057 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 10, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did Freddie ever touch the Red Special?  He did, in fact, touch the Red Special, Projector Freddie.  Many, many times....

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 10, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course he touched it.  Brian said it was his favourite guitar.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sebastian

Posted: 21 Jan 10, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Of course he touched it.  Brian said it was his favourite guitar.

Standing ovation.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 10, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just finished watching the Queen video for the concert in Sydney Entertainment Centre in 1985.  Freddie touched the Red Special for a moment when Brian was playing the WWRY solo in this concert.

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding Freddie ever touching the Red Special...

Let me tell you this....

I have seen footage, really wonderful and unexpected footage, showing Freddie not only touching the guitar, but playing it, and playing it very competently. I was shocked, startled and hugely impressed.

Sorry I cannot say more, but I'm certain you'll see that footage one day. No clues other than it is from the 70s.

GB

GB
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

but I'm certain you'll see that footage one day. No clues other than it is from the 70s.

C'mon... give ME a hint.

Will I still be able to hear and poop without assistance when something from the 70s is released or will my grandchildren have to tell me about it while spoon feeding me mashed bananas?  I'm close to 40 now.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 10, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as I know there are also no pictures of Freddie sitting on the toilet. So he never did that either.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Sebastian

Posted: 27 Jan 10, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

As far as I know there are also no pictures of Freddie sitting on the toilet. So he never did that either.

He just let his shit accumulate and then released it all with Body Language and 'Mr Bad Guy'. He left some for Delilah too, and My Baby Does Me.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 10, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Regarding Freddie ever touching the Red Special...

Let me tell you this....

I have seen footage, really wonderful and unexpected footage, showing Freddie not only touching the guitar, but playing it, and playing it very competently. I was shocked, startled and hugely impressed.

Sorry I cannot say more, but I'm certain you'll see that footage one day. No clues other than it is from the 70s.

GB

Err... what do you mean you can't say more? Is there some sort of embargo in even talking about what Queen did in the past? You mine this site for info. for your book, yet won't provide even the most innocuous info. in return.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)