Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Dr Bri and Haiti

forum rss feed
Author

Fone Bone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I might have missed it, but Bri has been curiously silent about the Haiti disaster, when many fellow rock stars haven't

Could he be one those people who claim to be morally and ethically superior and then care about a few dozen badgers and foxes more than about hundreds of thousands of human deaths ?

This is disturbing ... I feel our Bri has been losing touch these days ...

woodi485485 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You really want to get a life!

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you care about Haiti, do something yourself. Brian doesn't have to do something, or do something publicly, just to make you feel better!

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2391 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest I'm rather glad he hasn't. Getting fed up with celebs all trying to be the first to 'help'

Bono or for the matter Simon Cowell could right a cheque for more than they will raise with a single, which OK I know is something that's been said before but it's true.

I'm all for getting the public involved but actually the best way of helping them is getting money over there fast and Mr Cowell could actually do that in an afternoon, never mind working for days on a single and then video and then waiting for us all to buy  it...

Anyway, as I said I am rather glad Brian has not started work on a help Haiti single!

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm just glad the quake happened after Roger released The Unblinking Eye, otherwise the song would be 9 minutes long, and I would dread to think what he would try to rhyme with Haiti.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What could Brian May do?

--He's too skinny and old to be digging out survivors.

--No one in Haiti cares about a blistering Guitar Solo

--You don't send someone to an Earthquake ravaged region who just wrote a book entitled "Bang!"

--Clogs would be very unsafe footwear down there right now.

--John's already there

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me rephrase that

I don't pretend to suggest what Bri should or should not do about Haiti

I'm saying I feel uncomfortable that one of my favourite artists, who's supposed to be a man of greater conscience, uses his share of voice to support the cause of snared animals just a few days after one of the worst natural disasters in recent history resulting in the death of over 150 000

It's inapropriate.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon wrote:

If you care about Haiti, do something yourself. Brian doesn't have to do something, or do something publicly, just to make you feel better!

Amen x 1000.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You have a point. Very dangerous point for May-niacs on QZ, be careful.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

What could Brian May do?

--He's too skinny and old to be digging out survivors.

--No one in Haiti cares about a blistering Guitar Solo

--You don't send someone to an Earthquake ravaged region who just wrote a book entitled "Bang!"

--Clogs would be very unsafe footwear down there right now.

--John's already there

Standing ovation!

And yes, I'm also a bit taken off by the way celebrities act. They ask people to donate, sit at a phone to take pledges, make public appearances... if they really cared about the people, they could anonymously give 1% of their fortune (which would probably be more money than what they collect through concerts and stuff) and that's it. But of course, in that case, they wouldn't market themsleves as good people, as nobody else would know.

BTW, maybe that's what the Doctor did: he could've sent a cheque, told nobody and that's it. Way more helpful than a Soapbox entry or a concert.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

I'm just glad the quake happened after Roger released The Unblinking Eye, otherwise the song would be 9 minutes long, and I would dread to think what he would try to rhyme with Haiti.

LOL

Strings intro and begin...

God would sweep
If you would matey
But the world is full of lazy turds
Who won't go clean up Haitiiiiiii

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fone Bone wrote:

Let me rephrase that

I don't pretend to suggest what Bri should or should not do about Haiti

I'm saying I feel uncomfortable that one of my favourite artists, who's supposed to be a man of greater conscience, uses his share of voice to support the cause of snared animals just a few days after one of the worst natural disasters in recent history resulting in the death of over 150 000

It's inapropriate.

I do see what you're getting at, but I don't agree that it's inappropriate.  He's stated he wants to strongly focus on animal protection in 2010 and as issues arise it's to be expected that they will appear on his blog or in his correspondence. Haiti is an entirely separate issue, and a well covered one at that.  In this circumstance, it wouldn't really benefit the people of Haiti to have a focal point through Brian May, where the other issue might benefit a great deal.

Anyway, it's a horrible event.  I'm sure there will be ramifications for months and years and there may be a time in the future where Brian might have some words that will be helpful.  Perhaps later will be more effective, when most have turned their attention to something else.

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

You have a point. Very dangerous point for May-niacs on QZ, be careful.

Thank you for this reply Serry. It is indeed a point I don't seem to share with zoners I very much respect like GH or Sebastian ... So be it !

believe in yourself 45455 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In general, I have more respect for people who are inconsequent in doing the right things than for people who are consequent in doing the wrong things or who do nothing right at all.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, Fone Bone.  You started this $#@!.  Do you know FOR A FACT that Brian did NOT make a private donation?

Please show us your proof before accusing Brian, or anyone else for that matter, of doing nothing.

What have you done, Fone Bone?  Did you text Haiti to 90999?

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Too busy preaching about fox hunting. *rolls eyes*

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My father in law goes to church (why?  I don't know) and delights in telling the story how he never contributes to the collection plate, preferring to give  a cheque twice a year for a sizeable amount, yet he knows people in the church gossip about him and others who don't make the scene of contributing weekly although he most certainly dwarfs most peoples contributions.  So, unless you know if Brain did or didn't contribute, STFU.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 01:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Brass Neck wrote:

My father in law goes to church (why?  I don't know) and delights in telling the story how he never contributes to the collection plate, preferring to give  a cheque twice a year for a sizeable amount, yet he knows people in the church gossip about him and others who don't make the scene of contributing weekly although he most certainly dwarfs most peoples contributions.  So, unless you know if Brain did or didn't contribute, STFU.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 03:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Look at the rubble ...

I think Brian has done enough already folks..

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
pablotaylor90 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

May be he's doing something with another artist in secret. I think Brian do a lot of things for charity, he's not necessarily a unshakable person
The time to help them is not finished!
I think this tipe of arguments are vain and too much predictable. You all can't drive the Brian's mind so it's a loss of time doing it!
Sorry if my english seems quite crack, but I hope you can understand my message!