Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Do you think Freddie could sing the Barcelona Songs live?

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any thoughts?
This is assuming he didn't get sick from AIDS.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even if Freddie had lived, his voice was going to shit.  (Sorry!).

BUT - I think he could've sung "Ensueno."


"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you kidding me?
His voice "was going to shit?"
Sure it was grittier, darker, more hoarse, and lost the 70s sweetness, but to say "his voice was going to shit" is just plain ridiculous!
Now Ensueno was one of few songs that Freddie sang in which he sang in his speaking register (baritone), so regardless of shape, he would be fine. 


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 19:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think freddie would have been better than ever if he had lived....going to shit?...lol.   He sang Innuendo when he was dying for gods sake, and the voice was still amazing.  He learned some things from cabelle.  I don't think Barcelona was any harder to sing than the stuff from Queen, so yea, on a good night he could have sang that stuff.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 10, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You nailed it, Mike: Just listen to Innuendo then get back on me about Freddie's voice going to shit! LMFAO!
I think as long as his voice was in good shape, he'd be just fine.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No.  He would have gotten sick from something else.

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



 



 



Gregsynth wrote:



 



  Are you kidding me?



 



  His voice "was going to shit?"

Sure it was grittier, darker, more hoarse, and lost the 70s sweetness, but to say "his voice was going to shit" is just plain ridiculous!

Now Ensueno was one of few songs that Freddie sang in which he sang in his speaking register (baritone), so regardless of shape, he would be fine. 



 



 
*************************************************************
That's why I noted Ensueno.   (That would be the least troublesome to sing "live.")

Mine was a hastily worded reply; as I was preparing to go out the door at the time.  So let me put it this way: his singing  was "going to shit."    Or, put in a better way: deteriorating.  (Loss of range, shouting, etc.)  Ill or not,  Innuendo or not.  Nodes, etc., and his technique in later years (ill or not) suggest to me that his singing would have steadily deteriorated  had he  a) lived, and  b) continued on with no surgery nor change in his singing habits.    Sure, the voice itself was awesome and distinctive - and he of course sang with plenty of heart and intestinal fortitude near "the end"...but  (and isn't this all conjecture anyway?), you need more than that for vocal longevity.   Trust me; it doesn't give me great happiness to say that, but alas, it is my opinion.  And that's all it is.    

So - as far as singing Barcelona "live" -  I still would have my doubts.  

I could be wrong.  Acknowledged! 




"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



beautifulsoup wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Gregsynth wrote:



 



 



 



  Are you kidding me?



 



 



 



  His voice "was going to shit?"

Sure it was grittier, darker, more hoarse, and lost the 70s sweetness, but to say "his voice was going to shit" is just plain ridiculous!

Now Ensueno was one of few songs that Freddie sang in which he sang in his speaking register (baritone), so regardless of shape, he would be fine. 



 



 



 



 
*************************************************************
That's why I noted Ensueno.   (That would be the least troublesome to sing "live.")

Mine was a hastily worded reply; as I was preparing to go out the door at the time.  So let me put it this way: his singing  was "going to shit."    Or, put in a better way: deteriorating.  (Loss of range, shouting, etc.)  Ill or not,  Innuendo or not.  Nodes, etc., and his technique in later years (ill or not) suggest to me that his singing would have steadily deteriorated  had he  a) lived, and  b) continued on with no surgery nor change in his singing habits.    Sure, the voice itself was awesome and distinctive - and he of course sang with plenty of heart and intestinal fortitude near "the end"...but  (and isn't this all conjecture anyway?), you need more than that for vocal longevity.   Trust me; it doesn't give me great happiness to say that, but alas, it is my opinion.  And that's all it is.    

So - as far as singing Barcelona "live" -  I still would have my doubts.  

I could be wrong.  Acknowledged! 



 


Much better post







Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I respectfully disagree, I think his voice would still be intact, because if you listen to The Works/Magic era, then compare it to his later 80s/Innuendo era, his voice started getting back that sweetness he had in the 70s. He stopped touring, plus he cut down, then gave up smoking! Listen to the whole Innuendo album: He's got the 80s power, yet the 70s clarity was returning! Freddie could've tour with Cabelle; she's a professional soprano and she could help define his technique, and prevent him from wasting his voice on tour (partying, abusive singing, etc).

Even if it was one-off concert, he'd be just fine! Look at Live AID: He went for just about all the high notes (and hit them), he also was AMAZING at Montreal (after a month break), and he sang REALLY well the first few gigs on the Magic tour (hitting B4's and C5's in songs), so I see no problem with Freddie doing a whole Barcelona concert for a concert or two!
If he was on a world tour, then he'd have to be careful with his voice--but for a single concert? No problem. Fred could do it.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
beachj user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He most certainly could have sung those songs live.A lot of the parts were recorded in one take.Freddie put a lot  in to that project,maybe he would have had second thoughts if he knew that his voice had 'gone to shit' ,mind.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually some of his best vocal work was on Barcelona and Innuendo, not bad for a guy who's voice was going to shit.   I think his heavy partying days were over,   and would taken better care of his voice in his older age.  Of course we'll never know.

Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



mike hunt wrote:

Actually some of his best vocal work was on Barcelona and Innuendo, not bad for a guy who's voice was going to shit.   I think his heavy partying days were over,   and would taken better care of his voice in his older age.  Of course we'll never know.
Yep. Well rested and healthy(apart from the aids), he most likely would have been able to pull it off. Just listen to the "in my defence" live recording. Dear oh dear...








It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 19:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yea, that live recording found him in a very strong voice.....In my defense and especially "everyone of us" with cliff.  He pulls off some "golden boy" type notes.  brilliant!....i wish it was on the freddie solo box.  Another reason i think he could have sang the barcelona album live is because most of it is sung in freddie's natural (bariton) voice.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm, I thought only one song Ensueno was sung "baritone?" The rest I think is done in tenor voice.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 10, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, the 1988 shows with Cliff Richard hear him in great voice, showing everyone that he still had a great live voice/range!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 10, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think parts of the golden boy is in bariton, though I'm no expert on the subject.

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 10, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If he continued not smoking...


Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 10, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's voice going to shit? I beg to differ...how about The Show Must Go On? Or for that matter, the middle eight in 'Mother Love'? Yeah, he really was losing his voice, wasn't he? LMAO ;)


I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
mantomen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 10, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure he could sing Barcelona songs. Did you noticed that his voice was getting better in years - after he was developed the illness? Just listen "Don't Try So Hard" or "A Winter Tale" from the last period of his life or, before, "Scandal" and others. His voice was bocoming crystal towards his sad end.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jan 10, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He wasn't partying anymore, and think he even quite smoking the last few years of his life.  A rested voice from not touring, and working with cabelle all helped his voice in those last few years.  Sadly, it took an illness to make him wiser....