Forums > Queen - General Discussion > *These Are The Days Of Our Lives Video... What did you think?*

forum rss feed
Author

EnglanE user not visiting Queenzone.com
Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE
Champion: 99 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was only 9 when it came out, but if you were a Queen fan at the time, amidst all the rumours of Freddie's illness, etc. what did you think when you saw that video? Were you shocked? Did you expect him to look that ill? Did you finally realise that all the rumours regarding him and AIDS were true? I am interested to know your thoughts!

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The last video I saw while Freddie was alive was "Slightly Mad" and I didn´t think he was ill; just was shocked because of his costume, the make up, the wig, the style of the video, etc; found it was funny and unexpected, and in addition I simply thought he was thin.

Just after his death is when I saw the TATDOOL video and then ... yes, it made me cry.

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i liked it.honest and straight to the point.
i feel he wanted everyone to know just what it was like to have  an ilness.
straight forward vide,no tricks,little make up..sort of this is it folks.goodbye.
my only dissapointment..brian at the end,there is a version where fred says.i still love you... and leaves to his left..nice.

Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did you think all these things at the time? I'm trying to think what I would have thought, if I had been older and as massive a Freddie and Queen fan as I am now. I expect I would have been devastated to see it and would desperately have been in total denial about the rumours, etc. beforehand. It still upsets me to watch it now! [img=/images/smiley/msn/sad_smile.gif][/img] I can't remember when exactly the video was released in the UK (before or after his death.) I know the single was released as a double A side with Bo Rhap and became Christmas Number One for 1991, but yeah. Can anyone shed any light on this and carry on with the subject matter at the same time? Hehe. X

Kevin Hughes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Somebody can correct me but as I understand It the first time the video was shown on British tv was at the end of the Freddie tribute programme that was aired on Bbc 1 on Monday 25th November 1991.The programme was shown arond 10.30pm, It showed Freddie In all his glory of course with his video`s from the hit singles and of live performances at Live Aid and again at Wembley from the Magic tour.Days of our lives video was shown at the end of the programme.Seeing Freddie`s appearance In the days of our lives video for the first time was something of a shock, obviously the song lyrics are very poignant,filmed In black and white added to the sad atmosphere of the piece of film, Roger and John do not look at the camera, they obviously knew It would be the last time they would be filming a video with Freddie, Brian`s part In the video was filmed at a later date and added to the video as at the time of the video shoot ( end of May 1991) he was on a promotional tour In America

Was fortunate to see Queen in over twenty gigs,was also down the front of the audience for "THEIR FINEST HOUR"(ok,twenty minutes!)the Live aid concert.
Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh okay, thank you, Kevin! And, wow. YOU WERE AT LIVE AID. *BOWS DOWN* [img=/images/smiley/msn/omg_smile.gif][/img] [img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img] (I SO wish I could have been there! I was only 2 months away from being 3 years old, but still!!)
I was a bit confused, because I know the video was recorded at the end of May in 1991, so presumed it would have been shown a month or so after. I'm a little surprised and interested in people's comments about the 'I'm Going Slightly Mad' video too, in that people were somewhat oblivious to his illness even then, but that's make-up/wigs/black and white/hindsight for you.
I just bought all of the Queen SingStar packs for the PS3 and it is quite difficult to watch the video for 'TATDOOL' and sing along to it without feeling very sad indeed. I know, I know, I should get over it, but still.
Also, isn't it surprising that Freddie looks quite ill in his yellow jumper for the 'Headlong' video, but hardly ill at all when he's wearing the blue shirt? Or is it just me?

paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 659 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kevin Hughes wrote:

Somebody can correct me but as I understand It the first time the video was shown on British tv was at the end of the Freddie tribute programme that was aired on Bbc 1 on Monday 25th November 1991.The programme was shown arond 10.30pm, It showed Freddie In all his glory of course with his video`s from the hit singles and of live performances at Live Aid and again at Wembley from the Magic tour.Days of our lives video was shown at the end of the programme.Seeing Freddie`s appearance In the days of our lives video for the first time was something of a shock, obviously the song lyrics are very poignant,filmed In black and white added to the sad atmosphere of the piece of film, Roger and John do not look at the camera, they obviously knew It would be the last time they would be filming a video with Freddie, Brian`s part In the video was filmed at a later date and added to the video as at the time of the video shoot ( end of May 1991) he was on a promotional tour In America

This is correct, I remember watching this programme and feeling so sad when the video was shown, I heard soon after that i wasn't to be shown until after Freddie died as a sort of goodbye.

Don't shun it!
Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

paulsmith2001 wrote:

Kevin Hughes wrote:

This is correct, I remember watching this programme and feeling so sad when the video was shown, I heard soon after that i wasn't to be shown until after Freddie died as a sort of goodbye.

Oh wow, really? Was it a special request that Freddie made, or something? I thought it had been released prior to his death in the USA?
I remember hearing or reading something that Jim Hutton said about Freddie wanting to show the world that he was ill, because there was no way of hiding it anymore. [img=/images/smiley/msn/sad_smile.gif][/img]

So the general consensus is that you would have all seen it AFTER his death?

Martin Packer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 527 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought he looked iller in the blue shirt and better in the yellow top.

Martin
Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Really? I think he looks so scrawny in the yellow jumper, especially his arms. [img=/images/smiley/msn/sad_smile.gif][/img]

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, the blue shirt scenes were done in late 1990, while the yellow sweater parts were filmed in early 1991.
There's a rumor that he was only 110lbs during the yellow shirt scenes. :(

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was also about 10 back then, but I remember the "Days of Our Lives" vid didn't shock me as much as "Slightly Mad" did. "Days of Our Lives" was very sad to watch, but I felt the overall mood of the song was quite positive and serene. Don't know how about you, but I could never find, at least then, the "Slightly Mad" humorous or even grotesque... Quite the opposite, I thought the song and the vid were very, very ambiguous, and I remember watching it being a scary experience.

Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 04 Feb 10, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

k-m wrote:

I was also about 10 back then, but I remember the "Days of Our Lives" vid didn't shock me as much as "Slightly Mad" did. "Days of Our Lives" was very sad to watch, but I felt the overall mood of the song was quite positive and serene. Don't know how about you, but I could never find, at least then, the "Slightly Mad" humorous or even grotesque... Quite the opposite, I thought the song and the vid were very, very ambiguous, and I remember watching it being a scary experience.

If I remember correctly, the first ever time I watched the 'TATDOOL' video (when I was about 9 or 10) it was the American/Disney version with the animations. It might have been on 'The Chart Show' or whatever, but I got the same vibe as you with it. Quite serene and uplifting, and the song stayed in my head for ages. I knew who Freddie Mercury was and that he was dead (by the time I saw the video) and I found it all quite intriguing (but that's a whole other issue to go into entirely!).
I had never seen the 'Slightly Mad' video up until recently, but if I had seen it when I was that age, I would have been quite scared too, I think. [img=/images/smiley/msn/confused_smile.gif][/img]

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 10, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope you dont mind me saying this but i first saw Freddie and Queen live back in early 1974.

They supported a band called Mott The Hoople.I remember seeing this guy called Freddie Mercury and thinking how fantastic an entertainer he was.And the rest of the guys who were in this fantastic band who sounded so fabulous.This was a band who were not afraid to deliver any kind of music live.This i loved.

Back to the topic in question

The video seemed to come out just after Freddie's death.The last scenes being recorded a matter of days before his death.I love this video.Its Freddie very definitely saying goodbye to his fans.It chokes me,even to this day.

I've been a fan of him and Queen to this day.Will always be

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 05 Feb 10, 17:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops. Glitch!

Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 05 Feb 10, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, Bo Rhap! [img=/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif][/img] Oh no, I don't mind at all! I have great respect for any Queen fans such as yourself who are such long-term fans and who were lucky enough to see them live (I would have given anything to see them live, just for one show! Again, DAMN MY AGE!). It makes me ache to think that I wasn't around in the 70's! [img=/images/smiley/msn/sad_smile.gif][/img] That's great that you saw them support Mott The Hoople as well, good band! So 'TATDOOL' was definitively a 'Goodbye' from Freddie, then. This makes it all the more sad for me! It still chokes me up, too. I want to know if he planned it to be released after his death, though. Makes sense, as there was certainly no hiding how ill he was by then. [img=/images/smiley/msn/sad_smile.gif][/img]

Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 05 Feb 10, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, Bo Rhap!Oh no, I don't mind at all! I have great respect for any Queen fans such as yourself who are such long-term fans and who were lucky enough to see them live (I would have given anything to see them live, just for one show! Again, DAMN MY AGE!). It makes me ache to think that I wasn't around in the 70's! That's great that you saw them support Mott The Hoople as well, good band! 
So 'TATDOOL' was definitively a 'Goodbye' from Freddie, then. This makes it all the more sad for me! It still chokes me up, too. I want to know if he planned it to be released after his death, though. Makes sense, as there was certainly no hiding how ill he was by then. 

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 10, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EnglanE.

My friend.I wish i could take you back in a tardis or something.I seem to say this to most Queen fans nowadays.

You would see Freddie in the way that i saw him.He is  still a hero to me and i'm nearly 50 years old.I saw that guy when i was 13.

By the way.I Love the rest of them as well.Brian,Roger and John as well.

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 10, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

first time I saw this video was when axle rose introduced it...Fred was still alive at this point..... that's when I knew the aids rumors were true.   I couldn't believe how sick he looked.  I remember reading freddie didn't want axle to do that show. He obviously wasn't a fan of the guy.  I'm not either.

paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 659 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 10, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry Mike but you're wrong about seeing this video before Freddie died. Axel introduced it on the MTV tribute show that was shown after Freddie died which was also after it had been shown on the BBC tribute. Off the point slightly but I remember that the fan club also lied about when the videos for the singles from innuendo were recorded, if anyone has the fan club mags from 2001 you can check that out. Also at the time, before Freddie died, there were very few photos of him looking really ill. The one I do remember is of him in a car wearing a powder blue jacket.

Don't shun it!