Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Queen Archivist's job is NOT being undermined?

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Feb 10, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Panic not. Lose no sleep over this.
I am continuing to do a brilliant job and being generally splendid at all things I undertake in the course of my work.

GB
emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 10, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you ever get tired of this forum, the old cat and mouse, the people who genuinely have reason to be shitty with you, those who think u control what gets released and those that jump on the complain about Greg band wagon?

Admittedly there are times u deserve it, but Greg I have seen times when people complain about you for nothing. Of course I have no point to this, so I’ll Slowly fade out…

Jam Monkey user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jam Monkey
Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 10, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am so glad to hear it, keep up the good work.

While you are here though Greg we recently had a thread on Victory, the mythical Freddie/MJ collaboration. Some say it exists, others say is doesn't. Could you settle our little discussion one way or the other?

Thanks
Craig

Contact me, I'm no Darth Vader: jam_monkey@hotmail.com

Posted: 14 Feb 10, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HELLO there Emrabt...
Do you ever get tired of this forum, the old cat and mouse, GB: YES, I GET MORE BORED THAN TIRED OF IT. BY NOW I HAVE COME TO BE ABLE TO PREDICT WITH INCREASING ACCURACY WHAT IS GOING TO BE SAID TO ME, OR ABOUT ME, OR SUGGESTED.  IT IS PREDICTABLE, BUT THAT'S LIFE. I DON'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. TOO MANY THINGS IN MY LIFE ARE SERIOUS ENOUGH WITHOUT QZ BEING ONE OF THEM.
the people who genuinely have reason to be shitty with you, those who think u control what gets released and those that jump on the complain about Greg band wagon?IT HAS ALL BEEN SAID BEFORE, MANY TIMES. MANY MANY MANY MANY TIMES. IT IS RARE THAN ANYONE ON THIS SITE SAYS SOMETHING THAT TRULY STRIKES A NERVE OR STOPS ME IN MY TRACKS TO THINK ABOUT SOMETHING.... OR TO RE-THINK SOMETHING.  IT DOES HAPPEN, BUT NOT OFTEN. LIKE I SAY, MOST OF WHAT GETS POSTED HERE, DIRECTED AT ME, IS 99% PREDICTABLE. NOTHING PROFOUND OR THOUGHT-PROVOKING.
Admittedly there are times u deserve it, THIS IS TRUE.  BUT LIKE I'VE SAID A FEW TIMES, I GIVE AS GOOD AS I GET, OR OFTEN MUCH BETTER THAN I GET, AND THOSE WHO DISH IT OUT, CANNOT TAKE IT BACK. THEY GET ALL OFFENDED AND UPSET OR FURIOUS. SOMETIMES I DESERVE WHAT I GET, YES. IT'S A TWO-WAY STREET.  BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE ON QZ IN THE PAST HAVE DEFINITELY CONFUSED ME WITH SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK OF ME, AND SAY ABOUT ME. I DON'T SIT HERE AT HOME UPSET OR EFFECTED (OR IS IT AFFECTED) BY THESE THINGS. IF I DID.... MORE FOOL ME!!!
but Greg I have seen times when people complain about you for nothing. YES. TRUE. PEOPLE OF LOW INTELLECT USUALLY. THOSE WHO DO NOT SEE ALL THE ANGLES, AND/OR THOSE WHO DON'T THINK THRU WHAT THEY WRITE IN THESE THREADS. THOSE PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS BE AROUND.   Of course I have no point to this, so I’ll Slowly fade out…
I WILL TOO.

GB

Posted: 14 Feb 10, 17:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While you are here though Greg we recently had a thread on Victory, the mythical Freddie/MJ collaboration. Some say it exists, others say is doesn't. Could you settle our little discussion one way or the other?

Thanks
Craig 

IT DOES CERTAINLY EXIST. 
I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO TELL YOU DETAILS OF THIS, BECAUSE IT IS MORE SIGNIFICANT THAN YOU THINK, BUT - YOU KNOW WHAT'S COMING - I CANNOT SAY MORE.  VERY EXCITING THOUGH.  

GB

Posted: 14 Feb 10, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

HELLO there Emrabt...
Do you ever get tired of this forum, the old cat and mouse, GB: YES, I GET MORE BORED THAN TIRED OF IT. BY NOW I HAVE COME TO BE ABLE TO PREDICT WITH INCREASING ACCURACY WHAT IS GOING TO BE SAID TO ME, OR ABOUT ME, OR SUGGESTED.  IT IS PREDICTABLE, BUT THAT'S LIFE. I DON'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. TOO MANY THINGS IN MY LIFE ARE SERIOUS ENOUGH WITHOUT QZ BEING ONE OF THEM.

the people who genuinely have reason to be shitty with you, those who think u control what gets released and those that jump on the complain about Greg band wagon?IT HAS ALL BEEN SAID BEFORE, MANY TIMES. MANY MANY MANY MANY TIMES. IT IS RARE THAN ANYONE ON THIS SITE SAYS SOMETHING THAT TRULY STRIKES A NERVE OR STOPS ME IN MY TRACKS TO THINK ABOUT SOMETHING.... OR TO RE-THINK SOMETHING.  IT DOES HAPPEN, BUT NOT OFTEN. LIKE I SAY, MOST OF WHAT GETS POSTED HERE, DIRECTED AT ME, IS 99% PREDICTABLE. NOTHING PROFOUND OR THOUGHT-PROVOKING.

Admittedly there are times u deserve it, THIS IS TRUE.  BUT LIKE I'VE SAID A FEW TIMES, I GIVE AS GOOD AS I GET, OR OFTEN MUCH BETTER THAN I GET, AND THOSE WHO DISH IT OUT, CANNOT TAKE IT BACK. THEY GET ALL OFFENDED AND UPSET OR FURIOUS. SOMETIMES I DESERVE WHAT I GET, YES. IT'S A TWO-WAY STREET.  BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE ON QZ IN THE PAST HAVE DEFINITELY CONFUSED ME WITH SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK OF ME, AND SAY ABOUT ME. I DON'T SIT HERE AT HOME UPSET OR EFFECTED (OR IS IT AFFECTED) BY THESE THINGS. IF I DID.... MORE FOOL ME!!!

but Greg I have seen times when people complain about you for nothing. YES. TRUE. PEOPLE OF LOW INTELLECT USUALLY. THOSE WHO DO NOT SEE ALL THE ANGLES, AND/OR THOSE WHO DON'T THINK THRU WHAT THEY WRITE IN THESE THREADS. THOSE PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS BE AROUND.   Of course I have no point to this, so I’ll Slowly fade out…
I WILL TOO.

GB
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3668 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 10, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for your answer Greg (or response?). I was the original poster of the 'undermined' thread and am really curious to know exactly what you, and the Queen 'camp', think of all the material that is appearing via leaked multitracks and game rips. I know you would rather these things weren't out there but do you see these things as a threat? I would rather have a partial multi of a minor hit (Fat Bottomed Girls) than a Freddie version of a Cross or Brian solo record, or a work in progress of Black Queen for eg. This stuff is gold. I am left with an even bigger appreciation of Queen's music after hearing this stuff than some outtake or demo from 30 years ago could ever do.

Posted: 14 Feb 10, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for your answer Greg (or response?). I was the original poster of the 'undermined' thread and am really curious to know exactly what you, and the Queen 'camp', think of all the material that is appearing via leaked multitracks and game rips. I know you would rather these things weren't out there but do you see these things as a threat? I would rather have a partial multi of a minor hit (Fat Bottomed Girls) than a Freddie version of a Cross or Brian solo record, or a work in progress of Black Queen for eg. This stuff is gold. I am left with an even bigger appreciation of Queen's music after hearing this stuff than some outtake or demo from 30 years ago could ever do. 
Hello Mooghead.
My view is not dissimilar to yours.  I too hear these wonderful things and have even more respect and love of the music than ever.  It impresses me all over again.
But that aside, it is a HUGE pain in the arse that these things leak out. It enables all kinds of people to do all kinds of things - such as dreadful remixes and other sorts of messing about that is only detrimental on most levels.  
I must confess that I love to hear the Queen multitrack material too, but i can see why the the people that made that music, who own it, must get deeply pissed off when other faceless individuals think it fine to casually put it out there as if it is theirs to give. It would piss me off too if it was my work they were abusing.

GB
people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1313 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 10, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But that aside, it is a HUGE pain in the arse that these things leak out. .  

Funny thing to hear from Greg Brooks.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 10, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Thanks
Craig 

IT DOES CERTAINLY EXIST. 
I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO TELL YOU DETAILS OF THIS, BECAUSE IT IS MORE SIGNIFICANT THAN YOU THINK, BUT - YOU KNOW WHAT'S COMING - I CANNOT SAY MORE.  VERY EXCITING THOUGH.  
Thanks Greg. A good solid definitive answer.
And could you please also answer if Andy Gibb's vocal on 'Play the Game' also exists?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 10, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IT DOES CERTAINLY EXIST. 

Trying to understand WHY you cannot say more about this.

You are not Michael Jackson's archivist, and I believe HE owns Victory...  or his estate.  You are not bound by anything there, are you?

Now if the track has been "given" to Brian and the rest of Queen, I can understand that.  Did this happen?  Do Brian and the boys now make residual income off of sales of the "Victory" album?  It made a bit of a comeback when MJ died.

Why would Michael give this song away?  I don't think he was the type to do that, given his status as a hit machine.

Ask Paul McCartney about Michael's generosity when it comes to songrights.

Surely you can give us something more than "IT DOES CERTAINLY EXIST".  Is it a complete song?  A ten second clip of The Jackson shouting "Victory" and you can slightly hear Fred?  Please give us something more.   Please?

Jam Monkey user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jam Monkey
Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 10, 02:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Thanks
Craig 

IT DOES CERTAINLY EXIST. 
Nice one Greg, I appreciate your answer.

Contact me, I'm no Darth Vader: jam_monkey@hotmail.com
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 10, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Panic not. Lose no sleep over this.
I am continuing to do a brilliant job and being generally splendid at all things I undertake in the course of my work.

Great. I was starting to be worried :-)

Posted: 15 Feb 10, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Trying to understand WHY you cannot say more about this.

You are not Michael Jackson's archivist, and I believe HE owns Victory...  or his estate.  You are not bound by anything there, are you?

Now if the track has been "given" to Brian and the rest of Queen, I can understand that.  Did this happen?  Do Brian and the boys now make residual income off of sales of the "Victory" album?  It made a bit of a comeback when MJ died.

Yeah he is still under the terms of his contract, and can be sued for breaching it, in this case by BOTH parties.
The agreement doesn’t just vanish if someone else is in the recording with Freddie, it will extend to the other parties involved.
Same with the contracts and agreements on Jackson’s side.

I would like to thank greg for giving us a straight answer.
I'm pretty sure we will have it released within 2 years, if it exists of course, it's speculation, but there's nothing like death to sell some tracks, and this will get both fan bases buying.

By the way there is no song called Victory on the victory album, just like shear heart attack, it was left off.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 10, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I know.  I have the album.

But I'm still not sure who owns "Victory", the song.  Surely not BOTH Michael and Freddie.  The Jackson estate owns State Of Shock.  There is no way in hell Greg Brooks is the archivist for Michael Jackson.  That would require quite a bit more than one person.

Posted: 15 Feb 10, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Yes, I know.  I have the album.

But I'm still not sure who owns "Victory", the song.  Surely not BOTH Michael and Freddie.  The Jackson estate owns State Of Shock.  There is no way in hell Greg Brooks is the archivist for Michael Jackson.  That would require quite a bit more than one person.

Well I guess Michael Jackson wrote it for victory, so it’s his.
Whatever limits Michaels lawyers put on his unreleased stuff at the time also extends to the version of it in the Queen Archives.
Both Michaels and Freddie’s estates should benefit from royalties on its release though, if they use the version with Freddies vocals.
Of course, none of this is fact, but I assume it’s something similar.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 10, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Greg

Tog here...long time no speak, as you are in an answering mood I thought I'd drop a couple in.

Often wondered if the Queen archive is a full time role for you? how much time per week do you actually have to devote to it? and will it ever be done as-it-were.

As for the stuff you probably can't answer here goes one that I have also often wondered about.
During the time when Fred recorded The Great Pretender it was rumoured that he had done others in a similar vain. whether or not this is true has never really been clear to me (maybe others) if no, do you think (from what is left in the archive it was ever his intention to do a solo album of covers? if not why did he record that one?? what was his thinking behind doing a one off? just for fun? because it was a fav track? just had some tape left on the reel???   any clue

One other quicky, are you transfering Queen archive material into a format that will be (fairly) future proof. Is it all going digital or do you still rely on tapes?

Cheers Greg

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 10, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IT DOES CERTAINLY EXIST. 

Okay, I guess I will appear quite ignorant here, but I have to ask.  Why is this something that cannot be discussed?  I mean it's a song, not a national security secret.  Would just like to understand.  Thanks

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 10, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We been through this already....It was over a decade ago I heard this same guy say that lots of great exciting Unreleased material is sitting in the vaults, and ready for release in the next few years.  Years and few a more gray hairs later nothing has been released.  Now he say's this exciting michael jackson duet is in the vaults, and you all fall for it.

andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 10, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

it would be hard to be BAD or INCOMPETENT at the job of labeling tapes and stacking them .......    lol

you are overpaid filing clerk