Posted: 20 Feb 10, 21:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GB
Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 10, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Hello John. Greg here.

A few things to say. The first is that it is really irritating when you casually purport to know, somehow, miraculously indeed, and God knows how, exactly what my job entails on a daily basis. The fact is that you have absolutely NO idea at all. You assume that I log tapes all day long whereas in fact that is only one of my tasks and that is more or less done now.

I have BUGGER ALL idea about the specifics of the job you do, and so I wouldn't presume to know your duties intimately and spout off about them like I'm your Company M.D or Supervisor. Only an arrogant sod would do that. How arrogant is it for you to presume the things you do, John????

Do I declare to know the details of a Bank Manager's duties without one iota of inside knowledge or firsthand experience? No I do not. Do I presume to tell the QZ community about what Holly or Pitrek's jobs comprise, as If I'm a fly on the wall first hand observer? No of course not. If I did I'm sure they'd call me a dick head.

John, you write things such this...

'I don't think anyone would want such a negative job in the first place.'

How the Hell can you possibly make such a leap to presume my job is negative???? It's a bloody ludicrous presumption. What evidence do you have? None. You have none at all, but you spout on and on regardless. I spent 4 days last week in the studio watching Queen concert out-takes that no one knew existed. I was as startled as I've ever been. They were on the end of a 2" tape we recently had transferred. HOW IN THE HELL IS THAT REMOTELY NEGATIVE???

I've been logging in great detail the rushes for the Spread Your Wings, Play The Game, Ga Ga, Somebody To Love, Bicycle Race and Crazy Little Thing videos, and watching all the discarded ideas and out-takes. It was greatly fascinating and, watching Freddie laughing and joking and having water tipped all over him, rather moving and poignant. NEGATIVE??????? No John, not remotely. Never EVER that!

That's just YOUR ARROGANT ASSUMPTION, based on knowing nothing at all. Again. Not for the first time.Not for the last.

You also say...

'Where is the personal creativity, the individuality, the job satisfaction?'

John, the job of an Archivist is not supposed to be creative, nor about showing one's individuality. It is about being meticulous and thorough, and, like this week, with certain rushes, bringing long lost gems, some of which they had long forgotten, to the attention of the band. Seeing their reaction is always hugely exciting and unpredictable. And it ALWAYS surprises me what recollections it inspires in them.

It is completely spellbinding to see those things and to be the ONE AND PERSON entrusted to do the job thoroughly and miss nothing.... despite what people like you THINK they know about my job. You see... you know nothing.

To my astonishment, John, you also say..

'Sure listening to music is fun, but to take that fun element away and turn it into cataloging every note and nuance is not as glamorous as it would seem. Very soon it would devolve into another slavish factory-type monotonous chore.'

You could not possibly be MORE WRONG if you tried until Dooms Day. This shows the extent of your total ignorance of my job.

The second my job becomes anything remotely like.... 'another slavish factory-type monotonous chore', I would be off down the road. That is not going to happen. I KNOW it even if you don't.

My God! You are WAY WAY WAY WAY off the mark John. Serious genuine question... How can listening to Freddie discussing piano parts with Brian and Roy Baker from 1973, and Roger singing lead vocals on a track that Freddie usually sings, or the sound of Freddie and Roger laughing together like best mates, between takes on the Races sessions, EVER get boring or anything resembling that????

I'm totally baffled at your presumptions of my job, given that you actually know as much about it as I do about your job. It's just crazy to suggest such things. And arrogant beyond belief.

Never in a million years could listening to Queen session out-takes and alternative versions, or watching Queen video rushes, become.... another slavish factory-type monotonous chore.

John, you said to Rubens, elsewhere on this site.... "But even if he was a troll impersonator - so what? At the end of the day, what difference would it make - the position is still redundant and now serves no useful purpose.'

WHAT ON EARTH do you base this on????? What gives you the impression that you know sufficient details about MY job, at the complete other end of the UK from you, hundreds of miles away, to come on here bleeting on like you know everything???

My job entails things on a daily basis that you have NIL idea or concept of.

Do you have any idea what maintaining an audio and video archive entails? Do you know the extent of our tape, video and film transferring program? Do you know about the baking of analogue tapes before we can play them and log them? No, you know nothing about this, nor about the quantities involved.

Do you know how many requests I have every week or month for myriad Queen footage or audio for radio, TV and film?? No, of course not. Do you know how many licensing requests come my way, or internet things that I monitor? Do you know the extent of my involvement in YouTube, for Queen?????????

No, John, you know NONE OF THESE things, and yet you casually impart... 'the position is still redundant and now serves no useful purpose.''

John, with respect to you, you know nothing about my job or about my duties or what I am involved in. You have no clue what I do for Brian or for Queen, or for the Freddie archive, the EMI archive, or the innumerable things that tie me up every single day. So can I suggest you spend your time talking instead about the things you DO know about.

You are knowledgeable about Queen. Not as knowledgeable as you THINK you are, but still knowledgeable. Focus on that which you DO understand, and please cease with the guesswork and completely WRONG assumptions.

When you proffer moronic comments such as my listening to precious Queen studio banter and film rushes being... 'another slavish factory-type monotonous chore,' you just make yourself look like a bit of a tit, rather than the knowledgeable though arrogant and presumptuous expert I know you to be.

GB
Projector Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 113 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 01:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can I just say that I've been a longtime reader but not a frequent poster, and Greg, I've always supported you, because I know what it's like when someone thinks they know what your job is like.

Projector Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 113 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 01:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not to mention I think you have one of the coolest jobs in the world and would kill to have it. Maybe not kill.

geldy user not visiting Queenzone.com
geldy
Bohemian: 156 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 03:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Radio... BLAH BLAH!!!

- A LIFE WITHOUT MUSIC IS A POOR LIFE -
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My job entails things on a daily basis that you have NIL idea or concept of.

Such as

1.  Insulting Queen fans
2.  Lying
3.  proclaiming your self worth
4.  misrepresentation
5.  cataloging audio and video files
6.  drinking
7.  internet chat rooms

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 05:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

8. being a dick

go deo na hÉireann
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

I've been logging in great detail the rushes for the Spread Your Wings, Play The Game, Ga Ga, Somebody To Love, Bicycle Race and Crazy Little Thing videos, and watching all the discarded ideas and out-takes. It was greatly fascinating and, watching Freddie laughing and joking and having water tipped all over him, rather moving and poignant. NEGATIVE??????? No John, not remotely. Never EVER that!

Hang on Greg. This is nothing new - you announced at convention in 2008 that they'd recently been found, so how come it's taken two years before you start to log them?

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 05:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg - a personal question - why do you use my name as a negative example ? I try to keep out from these childish flamewars so I'm quite surprised to find me mentioned here

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pittrek

I actually used your name in the above merely as an example of a person whose job I do not know about, that was all.

But if I have implied negative things about you in previous threads, and it was unfounded, then I apologise.

The first two QZers I could think of was you and Holly. There was no more to it than that.

GB
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the explanation.
No worries, I've been only wondering :-)

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To Microwave.... who is talking out of his bottom... I WILL REPLY IN CAPS.....

GB: My job entails things on a daily basis that you have NIL idea or concept of.

Microwave: Such as

1. Insulting Queen fans. GB: A LOT OF QZ-ERS INSULT ME FREQUENTLY ON THIS SITE, MICRO OLD CHUM, AND THUS I SOMETIMES GIVE BACK AS GOOD AS I GET. I REGARD THIS AS FAIR AND BALANCED. NO MORE, NO LESS. YOU WOULD PROBABLY DO THE SAME IN MY POSITION, BUT I WOULDN'T BOTHER MENTIONING IT TO YOU BECAUSE I WOULD SEE THE SITUATION FOR WHAT IT IS. UNLIKE YOU.

2. Lying. GB: I HAVE NEVER LIED ON THIS SITE. I HAVE SAID BLATANTLY SILLY THINGS SOMETIMES, AND OUTRAGEOUS AND CLEARLY ABSURD PISS TAKES... I THINK YOU'RE CONFUSING THE TWO THINGS. I HAVE NO NEED TO LIE, WHEN A WIND-UP DOES THE TRICK AND REALLY GETS BACKS UP - PRECISELY AS INTENDED. IF I CANNOT OR WILL NOT ANSWER SOMETHING, I SIMPLY SAY SO... AS YOU SHOULD WELL KNOW BY NOW.

3. proclaiming your self worth. GB: GUILTY. AND I STAND BY IT. IN THIS QZ ENVIRONMENT WHERE NEARLY ALL OF YOU JUST LIKE TO THINK I DO NOTHING OF WORTH. I STAND UP FOR MYSELF WHEN PEOPLE LIKE, FOR EXAMPLE, HOLLY, DIG AND KNOCK ME BUT REFUSE POINT BLANK EVER TO AGREE WITH ME HERE WHEN THEY DO SEE MY POINT. IT'S ALL SO IMMATURE AND ONE SIDED, BUT YES I AM AWARE SOME QZ-ERS ARE QUITE YOUNG. THEY PROBABLY ARE TEENAGERS A LOT OF THEM, BUT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW. THEY ARE HAPPY TO JOIN THE HAVE A GO AT GB BANDWAGON, BUT THERE IS NO PROPER BALANCE. THERE ARE TIMES WHEN THEY SEE MY POINT, AGREE WITH ME.... BUT THEY CANNOT WILL NOT WANT TO BE SEEN TO AGREE. THAT WOULD NEVER DO. AND THAT IS VERY CHILDISH, DON'T YOU AGREE?

'CAN YOU' AGREE WITH ME INDEED? WHAT WOULD YOUR FELLOW QZ-ERS MAKE OF THAT... YOU'D BE A TRAITOR IN THER EYES.

SO I STAND UP FOR MYSELF. THIS IS TRUE.

4. misrepresentation GB: NO, THIS IS RUBBISH. YOU ARE GRABBING AT STRAWS NOW.

5. cataloging audio and video files GB: YES THIS IS PART OF IT. WELL DONE.

6. drinking GB: NOW YOU'RE BEING JUST PLAIN STUPID, AGAIN. I LIKE TEA AND COFFEE. IS THAT WHAT YOU MEAN, YOU DOPEY MUPPET TYPE.

7. internet chat rooms GB: VERY VERY OCCASIONALLY, WHEN I'M BORED. NOWHERE NEAR AS MUCH TIME ON THEM AS YOU DO. I HAVE A FULL AND ACTIVE LIFE. YOU NEED TO LOOK AT YOUR OWN TIME SPAN ON HERE BEFORE POPPING AT ME SILLY BOY. IT'S A BIT RICH YOU TELLING ME ABOUT TIME SPENT ON FORUMS, WHEN YOU YOURSELF VIRTUALLY LIVE HERE. POT AND KETTLE SYNDROME OLD SON!

GB

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Hang on Greg. This is nothing new - you announced at convention in 2008 that they'd recently been found, so how come it's taken two years before you start to log them?

GB: HEY THERE BRIAN'S HAIR..

THIS STUFF IS NEW. I ONLY WATCHED IT LAST WEEK. I NEVER SAW IT BEFORE IN MY LIFE. SO EXCUSE ME BUT YOU'RE TOTALLY AND UTTERLY INCORRECT AGAIN.

THE STUFF I MENTIONED YEARS AGO WAS VERY DIFFERENT - ALTERNATE TAKES. NOT THE RUSHES. WE ONLY TRANSFERRED THEM RECENTLY SO IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO VIEW THEM BEFORE RECENTLY.

NOW APOLOGISE FOR BEING WRONG.

RIGHT NOW AND RIGHT HERE.

ARE YOU BIG ENOUGH TO DO THAT??????????????????????????

GB
Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 06:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boo hoo. go buy some Kleenex and have your emotional breakdown elsewhere.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the end of the day Greg, everyone is jealous of you and people, Brits in particular, dont like people who make them jealous. Thats when the insults and vitriol starts.

Some of the things you say can be childish but its so obviously a piss take I cannot believe people bite time after time.

Good on you. Hope you are loving the job as much as I know I (and John Stuart) would.

("Jealousy, look at me now......")

Jam Monkey user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jam Monkey
Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't we all just get along...

Contact me, I'm no Darth Vader: jam_monkey@hotmail.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote:

At the end of the day Greg, everyone is jealous of you and people, Brits in particular, dont like people who make them jealous. Thats when the insults and vitriol starts.

Some of the things you say can be childish but its so obviously a piss take I cannot believe people bite time after time.

Good on you. Hope you are loving the job as much as I know I (and John Stuart) would.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jsi/lowres/jsin149l.jpg

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To Greg Brooks...

Hit a nerve did I?

In life some of us are crocodiles, others are plovers.
Personally I prefer being the former than the latter.
Or is that too subtle for you to grasp?

Your loving bud...

John

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

mooghead wrote:

Perfect. Just what I'm talking about.

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 07:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote:

Holly2003 wrote:

mooghead wrote:

Perfect. Just what I'm talking about.

You don't know what you're talking about, but that's your problem, not mine.