Forums > Personal > Tiger Woods is a worthless Uncle Tom.

forum rss feed
Author

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Discuss!  I personally find his apology to be disingenuous and transparent.  He's not sorry for the illicit sex - he's sorry that Gilette don't want him anymore.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Uncle Tom? Stop talking bollocks.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
bobo the chimp

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Begone, literalist!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Begone bollocks!

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Begone Tiger Woods

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Begone the Beguine.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't we just let begones be begones and get on with the savaging? [img=/images/smiley/msn/devil_smile.gif][/img]

bobo the chimp

Posted: 21 Feb 10, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think I was on the money!

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 10, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

Uncle Tom? Stop talking bollocks.

Zebonka has a point. "Uncle Tom" behaviour means nothing short of (seemingly) complying with social norms that you do not agree with, whilst pretending to support them. The name refers explicitly to the concept of black people complying to Jim Crow-laws, but has been used in many similar (not necessarily racist) contexts, so I can't consider Zeb's interpretation of the concept as overstretching the lexicographical meaning.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 22 Feb 10, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The most commonly understood meaning of Uncle Tom is of a emasculated black man who is totally subservient to his white master. Although it's commonly traced back to the book Uncle Tom's Cabin, its immediate predecessor was the grinning, servile "Sambo" figure. It is a very nasty insult, one often used by blacks against other blacks, and it doesn't fit Tiger Woods' personality or background. In other words, it's bollocks.

«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 10, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He read his exstensive, scripted apology very well, but that's about it. He certainly didn't seem very remorseful, especially after the speech watching him hug his Mom, and then having an ear to ear grin on his face shaking hands with others.

¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
GratefulFan

Posted: 22 Feb 10, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

The most commonly understood meaning of Uncle Tom is of a emasculated black man who is totally subservient to his white master. Although it's commonly traced back to the book Uncle Tom's Cabin, its immediate predecessor was the grinning, servile "Sambo" figure. It is a very nasty insult, one often used by blacks against other blacks, and it doesn't fit Tiger Woods' personality or background. In other words, it's bollocks.

I've always wondered about the evolution of  Sambo from Indian to American black man. It's startling to remember how historically close institutionalized racism is.   My grandmother read me 'Little Black Sambo' as a child and used to refer to black people as 'darkies' as a matter of course and without a mean thought.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 22 Feb 10, 22:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

Nope, I was bang on the money.  The guy has been a disingenuous wart throughout this whole affair.

Lisser :) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 70 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 10, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he's an athlete and not a moral figure. Yes he's a popular celebrity but parents who allow their children to use public personas as role models should re-educate their children. Who cares who he has sex with. He should apologize to his wife, not to the public.

Go swing your golf club and bang whoever you want. Just use protection.

Meep!!!
bobo the chimp

Posted: 22 Feb 10, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisser :) wrote:

He should apologize to his wife, not to the public. 

BINGO.

How much of a self-interested fraud can he be that he would stage such a phony and public apology? I could probably count on one clumsy WW1 aeroplane mechanic's hand the number of people who actually deserve an apology from him...

I'd laugh if he never sold another can of shaving cream again.

*goodco* user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 10, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haven't been here in a while, but..........the term used originally is, well..........full of crap.

Surprised there are no H1N1 virus comments on this thread................

The man had a problem (obviously).  I am upset that he used his squeeky clean image to con me.  And my wife.  And my daughter.  And others. 

At least with John Daly, I knew quite soon what he was all about.

His apology was, well, an apology.  At least I never had to stand in front of cameras and apologize in front of my mother about my sexual prowess (or lack thereof at certain times).

He is getting what he deserves.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 10, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Obviously Tiger Woods has no desire whatsoever to apologize.
...and why should he? As Lisser pointed out this is a personal matter between him and his family.

So why is he apologizing? Most likely from pressure by sponsors who are concerned about his public image.
It's all about the money.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
GratefulFan

Posted: 10 Mar 10, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disagree with some of that Mr. J.  He certainly owes apologies to his business partners, some of whom poured enormous sums of money into campaigns built completely around him and the image he annihilated. Those companies have shareholders and investors, maybe even me or you through some mutual fund or other.  He owes apologies to his friends and family and associates who were bothered and photographed by media looking for dirt and information.  And I even think he owes a lot of those women more than a vague reference to 'the people I've hurt.'

The speech comes off contrived and hollow in part because the impersonal public forum makes it so, and because it's an unseemly display that feels every bit like the media forced ritual that it is.  I don't know what he owes his wife, but I'm pretty sure 'an apology' isn't it. Good people can stumble into affairs and stumble out bloodied and wiser people, but to me his conduct was such a profound failure of empathy and responsibility all around that I think he has a long, long road to a place where he's somebody anybody wants for a husband. He may never get there.  Character comes in part from hardship and suffering and a life defined almost solely by achievement and success doesn't generally serve one all that well in my observation. Like all of us, he is a product of his experience.

Many people will forget and settle back into appreciating him as an extraordinary athlete, but I think others are done with him for good.  There is something about a person that takes the security and  social and emotional benefits of marriage and children as their due without making a single one of the sacrifices that married people make every day  that will always grate on some.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 10, 03:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tiger woods is one lucky son of a bitch.

His wife forgives him after he gives the old bone to a hundred women.

Everytime I'm in a relationship, if I even say hello to a female, the girl I'm dating gets all jealous and won't forgive me for days, and then goes through my cell phone, my e-mail, my facebook inbox, and my myspace inbox, to see if I'm cheating on her.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 10, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tiger Woods had not choice BUT to apologize, publicly.

You're talking about more money than anyone here on this site will ever see, let alone imagine.  This is the highest paid athlete, ever.  Tiger Woods stopped being a regular person 20 years ago.  He's a company, a machine.  There is no difference between Tiger apologizing than the President of Toyota apologizing.

Toyota will never be #1 again, no matter what they try to do.  Tiger, on the other hand, will win the Masters when he returns.  Gotta protect the brand name.

Don't worry girls, he'll be back in a month swinging that club.  He'll just handle it much better.  Pun intended.