Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > To Queen Archivist: about Monterrey 1981

forum rss feed
Author

Hugowan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Feb 10, 23:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Greg. I don't usually post here since I´m not english native speaker and some members seem to have problems with new members, not english native speaker members, and new - not english native speaker members.

I have a couple of concrete questions to you regarding the Queen concert at Monterrey Mexico, in 1981. There is a TV Channel 53 in the city of Monterrey, that seems to have pro shot quality footage of the whole concert. Here is a link where a bit of this video can be seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bS3zEjjQPw

Are you aware of this footage? have any kind of negotiations been done by QP to own this shot? Does QP already have this video in the vaults?

Here in Mexico exists certain degree of debate about the true lenght of this footage. Since our local "fan club" has been pretty useless to clarify this sort of things, among other, it'll be great news if you could answear this questions, in the knowledge that you might not be able to give too much info.

Thanks for reading.
I´ve not insulted you.

Greetings from Merida Yucatan Mexico [130 km from Chichen Itza, 21°N 90°W ]

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hugowan wrote:

Hi Greg. I don't usually post here since I´m not english native speaker and some members seem to have problems with new members, not english native speaker members, and new - not english native speaker members.

I have a couple of concrete questions to you regarding the Queen concert at Monterrey Mexico, in 1981. There is a TV Channel 53 in the city of Monterrey, that seems to have pro shot quality footage of the whole concert. Here is a link where a bit of this video can be seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bS3zEjjQPw>

Are you aware of this footage? have any kind of negotiations been done by QP to own this shot? Does QP already have this video in the vaults?

Here in Mexico exists certain degree of debate about the true lenght of this footage. Since our local "fan club" has been pretty useless to clarify this sort of things, among other, it'll be great news if you could answear this questions, in the knowledge that you might not be able to give too much info.

Thanks for reading.
I´ve not insulted you.

Greetings from Merida Yucatan Mexico [130 km from Chichen Itza, 21°N 90°W ]

Hello Hugowan
No, I never saw this footage before - that I remember anyway. 
No, we don't have this in the archive.
Your English is EXCELLENT... I wish my Mexican was half as good.
Regards
GB

GB

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 00:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the quick answear!

Just one point: There is no "mexican" language, we speak spanish.
Greetings!

tonimau user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 91 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ive read somewhere that it was audience footage (probably more organized than a standard audience recording), not TV footage.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tonimau wrote:

Ive read somewhere that it was audience footage (probably more organized than a standard audience recording), not TV footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bS3zEjjQPw

Having viewed the above link - I must agree with what you have read previously - it is indeed audience footage only, regardless of how professional the eqipment employed to record the show.

I do not think this quality of footage would be up to the standards of an official Queen release. However, I do think parts could be used as DVD extras, or (I don't believe I am about to say this) edited together to make some sort of Do-Ro type montage.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1313 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

No, I never saw this footage before - that I remember anyway. 

Come on, you have never seen this before? I find that almost impossible to believe. Every serious video collector knows about this footage. You haven't seen Puebla October 17, 1981 either? The tape was sold on a auction site several years ago. Ask your buddy Palstra about it. I'm sure he will be able to tell you more about it.

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

tonimau wrote:

Having viewed the above link - I must agree with what you have read previously - it is indeed audience footage only, regardless of how professional the eqipment employed to record the show.

I do not think this quality of footage would be up to the standards of an official Queen release. However, I do thinks parts could be used as DVD extras, or (I don't believe I am about to say this) edited together to make some sort of Do-Ro type montage.

Pink Floyd did something like that on their ".p.u.l.s.e." DVD. There was a section on the DVD called "Bootlegging the bootleggers". Essentially, several tracks for which they did not have professional video recording, taken from bootleg DVD's, remastered and overdubbed with soundboard audio.

This is an idea that would've been perfect for a QPR. Alas...

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

tonimau wrote:

I do not think this quality of footage would be up to the standards of an official Queen release. However, I do thinks parts could be used as DVD extras, or (I don't believe I am about to say this) edited together to make some sort of Do-Ro type montage.

AAAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHH! NO! PLEASE GOD NOOOOOOOO!

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bigV wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

tonimau wrote:

Pink Floyd did something like that on their ".p.u.l.s.e." DVD. There was a section on the DVD called "Bootlegging the bootleggers". Essentially, several tracks for which they did not have professional video recording, taken from bootleg DVD's, remastered and overdubbed with soundboard audio.

This is an idea that would've been perfect for a QPR. Alas...

V.

You know this is something we could do 'in house' at Queenzone.
I do not have the talent - but certainly people in here like Adam and Inu do have the required skills.
I know it would take time, but I believe we can deliver where QPL cannot.

What we should do (I say we - but I am as useful with a PC as a Scottish goalkeeper - and yes I can say that!) is organise a 'projects manager' and after finding out what the 'zoners want - get this stuff out to the fans for the fans. It happens in other circles, so why not here?
If we have the will - it must be possible.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Queenrockyou user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenrockyou
Deity: 2013 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"but I am as useful with a PC as a Scottish goalkeeper - and yes I can say that!"

I loved that part ! Not  out of repsect towards Scottish people anyway, Self-mockery I guess !!
Now, back to topic, should be a good idea. I think some Queenzoners regularly bring quality remasters and so on here, so maybe a little more formalized should be more efficient, if I understand well your comments.

Regards,

Olivier,
Belgium.

wanna trade ?
bigV

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, it has happened, John. For example SmiTTy's excellent 4DVD collection of the "Live Killers" tour and the many DVD's from Snow Producciones (although they are not as easily accessible). Our fellow fans from Chile went to great lengths to obtain the footage from the Santiago show from 2008 - they actually got the full unedited footage of the show from the TV network that filmed it and released it (without the network logo, which makes a big difference I think) under the Creative Commons license. They were planning a second DVD to make it a proper 2DVD set with video bootlegs, photo galleries, TV commercials for the show etc., but I don't know what became of the second disc.

Fans have really gone to extreme lengths - both for their own enjoyment and to share with other fans. Some have become self-taught experts on audio or video remastering, video editing, DVD authoring and so on, to an extent where they can rival the professionals in the business. 

The point here really is that QPL are not giving the fans what the fans have clearly stated that they (WE!) want. Off the top of my head I can give you at least 5 good products that would have been better than "Absolute Greatest". 

It's an endless debate. One which we are not going to solve on a message board.

V.

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

see post below

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people on streets wrote:

bigV wrote:

Well, it has happened, John. For example SmiTTy's excellent 4DVD collection of the "Live Killers" tour and the many DVD's from Snow Producciones (although they are not as easily accessible). Our fellow fans from Chile went to great lengths to obtain the footage from the Santiago show from 2008 - they actually got the full unedited footage of the show from the TV network that filmed it and released it (without the network logo, which makes a big difference I think) under the Creative Commons license. They were planning a second DVD to make it a proper 2DVD set with video bootlegs, photo galleries, TV commercials for the show etc., but I don't know what became of the second disc.
Fans have really gone to extreme lengths - both for their own enjoyment and to share with other fans. Some have become self-taught experts on audio or video remastering, video editing, DVD authoring and so on, to an extent where they can rival the professionals in the business. 

The point here really is that QPL are not giving the fans what the fans have clearly stated that they (WE!) want. Off the top of my head I can give you at least 5 good products that would have been better than "Absolute Greatest". 

It's an endless debate. One which we are not going to solve on a message board.

V.

My answer to bigV (the edit function on the message board is malfunctioning)

You've pointed out some great examples here bigV. I wish Queen fans would work more together in order to create releases everyone can enjoy. We don't really need for Queen productions to make this happen (wich they won't do anyway)

Example:
Now the Queen + Paul Rodgers project has come to it's definitve end, I would love to see a "rare live" type complilation dvd wich contains all the seldom / once performed Queen + Paul Rodgers songs through the years (Red House, Take Love, Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner etc) For the tracks that were performed more than once we could vote for the best version (for example: for Take Love, I think Worchester would be the best option)

I could make a contribution to that project by donating my raw avi files from the shows I managed to videotaped (for example "Time To Shine" from Antwerp 08)

Authoring should be done in the best possible quality for dvds at the moment (LPCM audio and 8 mb/s video)

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

I do not have the talent - but certainly people in here like Adam and Inu do have the required skills.

What we should do (I say we - but I am as useful with a PC as a Scottish goalkeeper - and yes I can say that!) is organise a 'projects manager' and after finding out what the 'zoners want - get this stuff out to the fans for the fans. It happens in other circles, so why not here?

I'm happy to donate footage for such projects. Indeed, if it can be done in other communities it should be possible in this community too. 

bigV

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people on streets wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

I'm happy to donate footage for such projects. Indeed, if it can be done in other communities it should be possible in this community too. 

Well that has happened too. See my QPR - Live In Vienna DVD...

V.

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bigV: will all due respect. Your Vienna dvd was incomplete and shot with a digital photocamera.
There are people who bring in full HD camcorders to shoot concerts these days. Also in Vienna.

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What we should do (I say we - but I am as useful with a PC as a Scottish goalkeeper - and yes I can say that!)

LOL!  Request permission to call you Alan Rough from here on (and I do realize he wasn't even the worst!). 

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 00:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the feedback! I couldn´t believe this thread has already more than 1 reply.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that this footage from Monterrey was recorded by someone in the audience, but looks fine, if you consider that it comes from the early 80´s, in a time when our country was... emm... different... you know... argh!

I´ve heard that you can get a copy at a market in Mexico City but is strange that nobody have one... That video in youtube is all I have seen but many people claims to have seen the entire concert. Who knows. It might be a matter of time before it leaks to the internet. A few years ago there was no evidence in video so, we can only hope.

If only Quen Fan Club Mexico were doing what they should... damn!

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people on streets wrote:

people on streets wrote:

bigV wrote:

The point here really is that QPL are not giving
the fans what the fans have clearly stated that they (WE!) want. Off the
top of my head I can give you at least 5 good products that would have
been better than "Absolute Greatest". 

It's an endless debate. One which we are not going to solve on a
message board.

My answer to bigV (the edit function on the message board is malfunctioning)

You've pointed out some great examples
here bigV. I wish Queen fans would work more together in order to create
releases everyone can enjoy. We don't really need for Queen productions
to make this happen (wich they won't do anyway)

Example:

Now the Queen + Paul Rodgers project has come to it's definitve end, I
would love to see a "rare live" type complilation dvd wich contains all
the seldom / once performed Queen + Paul Rodgers songs through the years
(Red House, Take Love, Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner etc) For the
tracks that were performed more than once we could vote for the best
version (for example: for Take Love, I think Worchester would be the
best option)

I could make a contribution to that project by
donating my raw avi files from the shows I managed to videotaped (for
example "Time To Shine" from Antwerp 08)

Authoring should be
done in the best possible quality for dvds at the moment (LPCM audio and
8 mb/s video)

Are you SERIOUSLY willing to do it ?

bigV

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 02:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people on streets wrote:

bigV: will all due respect. Your Vienna dvd was incomplete and shot with a digital photocamera.
There are people who bring in full HD camcorders to shoot concerts these days. Also in Vienna.

You're right, but I meant in a sense that it was a community collaboration, which is what we're talking about.

As for HD cameras, the only complete recording of a show done with an HD camera was from Worcester 2006. The recording surfaced, then disappeared and hasn't been heard from since. That's not what I'd call community spirit, would you?

V.