Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Songs That Didn't Work Out Live

forum rss feed
Author

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 00:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here are some songs that Queen tried over the years that in my opinion didn't work out so well live. But this doesnt mean they are bad songs!!!
1. Bicycle Race2. Millionaire Waltz3. Who Wants to Live Forever4. Action this Day

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

who wants to live forever and action this day were awsome live....One song that sounded weak live is  "best friend"   Also "I want to break free"  maybe "another one bites the dust" was better in the studio.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Bicycle Race, and Millionaire Waltz, but WWTLF? That's strong live! And Action This Day is BETTER live than the studio version!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

who wants to live forever and action this day were awsome live....One song that sounded weak live is  "best friend"   Also "I want to break free"  maybe "another one bites the dust" was better in the studio.

I'll give you "Best Friend." But disagree with IWTBF. Even if Freddie sounded "bad" the song still sounds better live because there's REAL drums and it's not completely drowned by synthesizers (this is coming from a guy who likes synths too).
Dust just sounds better live.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Action This Day was better than the studio version, but it was still terrible.  

I've never felt that I Want To Break Free really worked live.  

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
FlorianS user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to break free was awfull live!

Friends will be Friends also did not work for me.

Moreover I agree to who wants to live forever.

woodi485485 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 03:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who Wants To Live Forever has to be, in my opinion, one of the best songs ever performed live by Queen. The worst thing about WWTLF, is the edit they did to release it as a single, that destroyed the emotion of the song.

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 03:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Flash" did not work live, "Who wants to live forever" sounded also very thin with the synthesizer,
"Rock it" also didn't really work.
I fully agree on Bicycle Race, I remember hearing it live in concert and I just recognized it when it was nearly over....

But basically they had a good hand in chosing the right songs for the stage.

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 05:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can only think of a few:

Bicycle race - Just didnt work
Killer Queen - always sounds rushed and loses its magic live.
AOBTD - always prefered the studio version, don't like brians guitar work live.
YMBF - Just sounds poor

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Friends Will be Friends and ... yeah, maybe You´re My Best Friend

WWTLF sounded great to me; as well as Action This Day (and any song from Hot Space - they sounded fantastic live!)

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I loved the Millionaire's Waltz live.

I agree that You're My Best Friend wasn't too good live.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3030 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 07:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Bicycle Race worked well - very brave to attempt it live as there's so much on teh recording, but they seemed to pick out the right parts to play (with a lot of the 70's stuff Brian did really well to play the right guitar part from a choice of many).

I LOVE WWTLF on the Magic Tour - I think it's really strong, although would have worked better in a theatre or Arena rather than a stadium.

Millionaire's Waltz  - was a pity that it was a 'hacked down' version.  Bring Back That LEroy Brown was bizarrely played as an instrumental which I don't think did them any favours, no matter how well it was played.

I agree that Friends Will Be Friends didn't really do much live, and placed in an odd part of the set, almost as an afterthought.

You're My Best Friend alwasy seemed to be played too fast, taking some of the sentiment out of the song, but it was understandable that it was played as it was a hit single at the time.

Sweet Lady never worked for me - Fred usually wasn't able to hit the vocals on that one.

ILoveQueen20 user not visiting Queenzone.com
ILoveQueen20
Bohemian: 249 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont agree....Who Wants to Live Forever is Fabulous live! Freddies vocals are really strong & I want to break Free is great live! I love the keyboards & I think they just did it live for fun :)

Queen Forever!
Band Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. Action This Day - Worst Song and performance on Live At The Bowl by a Country mile, this is an instant skip, although
     Freddie wrestles manfully to rescue this one with the vocals.
 2. Kind of Magic - Totally unrecognisable to the Studio version which had more ambience and magic.
 3. Who Wants To Live Forever- I think Queen skimped on hiring a big Orchestra in the background.
 4. Don't Stop Me Now -hence the reason it was omitted from the set apart from Brian's loathing.
 5. It's Late - Where was it guys? This was one of your best Rock Songs!
 6. Dead On Time- Would have been a great substitute to LMEY if they wishes to alternate the setlist.
 7. White Man
 8. Fair Fellers Masterstroke
 9. Father To Son despite epic Guitar Solo by Dr May, a much copied riff by metal bands today.
10. Any Queen song attempted by Paul Rodgers. Nuff said.

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who wants to live forever wasnt the best live. During the "we can love forever" the harmonies never worked out so well and the whole song just sounded pretty much empty live. Also, I forgot to put your my best friend...I have to agree on that one

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Time To Shine

But then again, they only did it once, and we all know how that turned out. Perhaps they could have done it better had they rehearsed it more properly.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me, I think the 80s songs (most of them) sounded better live, and some of the 70s songs sounded better in the studio because live, you just can't get all the vocal harmonies and overdubs. Plus they played a couple 70s songs WAY too fast live (like Killer Queen and You're My Best Friend), eliminating the "tenderness" of the songs (I think somebody already said that though).

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 11:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now here's an interesting statement I'll make: I believe that Freddie has to be in GREAT voice for these songs to work well live: Another One Bites The Dust, Staying Power, Action This Day, Body Language, Hammer To Fall, A Kind Of Magic, Get Down Make Love, Under Pressure, and Need Your Loving Tonight. If Freddie was in Japan 1979 shape or similar, the songs don't work as well.

However, regardless of vocal shape he could sing these songs well, and find excellent alternative notes to sing: The early stuff (Queen I through to Sheer Heart Attack), Spread Your Wings, Bohemian Rhapsody, Love Of My Life, It's Late, Save Me, Play The Game, Is This The World We Created, It's A Hard Life, We Will Rock You, and We Are The Champions.

QUEEN+PAULRODGERS user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

for play live in a future tour

OGRE BATTLE

FATHER TO SON

STONE COLD CRAZY

SPREAD YOUR WINGS

ITS LATE

WHITE QUEEN

WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER

I LOVE THAT SONGS!

queenfanbg user not visiting Queenzone.com
queenfanbg
Bohemian: 305 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 10, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Band Forever wrote:

1. Action This Day - Worst Song and performance on Live At The Bowl by a Country mile, this is an instant skip, although
     Freddie wrestles manfully to rescue this one with the vocals.
 2. Kind of Magic - Totally unrecognisable to the Studio version which had more ambience and magic.
 3. Who Wants To Live Forever- I think Queen skimped on hiring a big Orchestra in the background.
 4. Don't Stop Me Now -hence the reason it was omitted from the set apart from Brian's loathing.
 5. It's Late - Where was it guys? This was one of your best Rock Songs!
 6. Dead On Time- Would have been a great substitute to LMEY if they wishes to alternate the setlist.
 7. White Man
 8. Fair Fellers Masterstroke
 9. Father To Son despite epic Guitar Solo by Dr May, a much copied riff by metal bands today.
10. Any Queen song attempted by Paul Rodgers. Nuff said.

10 pts for tenth from me.... 

"Queen are: Freddie Mercury,Roger Taylor, John Deacon and Brian May"