Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Bowie Bassist Courted By Queen

forum rss feed
Author

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Recent interview with Gail Ann Dorsey http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2010/02/16/features/features021610_01.txt

“Yeah, I was asked by (Queen guitarist) Brian May to play bass for Queen
after their original bassist, John Deacon, retired,” said the
47-year-old Dorsey during a recent telephone interview. “But once they
had Paul Rodgers on board to sing, I turned it down.

“Queen — the original quartet with singer Freddie Mercury — are my favorite band of
all time, in the whole world,” she added with traces of childlike
wonder. “For me, that was the most exciting phone call — the call asking
me to join — I ever got. Not to take away from working with David
Bowie, but to have your favorite band call you and say, ‘You want to
join?’ Queen ended up getting someone else to play bass, but for me to
receive that call at first, it was incredible.”

Shame, she did a great version of Under Pressure live with Bowie.



Arse.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 10, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Marknow wrote:



 “But once they had Paul Rodgers on board to sing, I turned it down."





Smart cookie!





"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had always been under the impression that Gail Ann Dorsey not getting the job was more Paul Rodgers' decision than hers...wasn't there some bad blood between the two?



"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 03:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


mmmm ... what a pitty; It could have worked very well, she´s a great bassist and singer


Bring out the charge of the love brigade
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting info.  Do we know the exact reason why Rodgers didn't want her in the line up?  It's hard to believe that they would have got as far as asking her if PR had a problem with her to start with, so does it raise the interesting point that Brian and Roger were arranging a band to go out to play BEFORE getting a singer, and so had asked her in on bass first before looking for a vocalist, and then she backed out later on once PR got involved?

It must be gutting to get asked to join your favourite band, and then have to pull out because a little bloke with a toupe and a facelift stamps his feet - it would be like us getting asked to join them, but finding out that Treasure Moment is in the band!!!!

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 05:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



cmsdrums wrote:

Interesting info.  Do we know the exact reason why Rodgers didn't want her in the line up?  It's hard to believe that they would have got as far as asking her if PR had a problem with her to start with, so does it raise the interesting point that Brian and Roger were arranging a band to go out to play BEFORE getting a singer, and so had asked her in on bass first before looking for a vocalist, and then she backed out later on once PR got involved?

It must be gutting to get asked to join your favourite band, and then have to pull out because a little bloke with a toupe and a facelift stamps his feet - it would be like us getting asked to join them, but finding out that Treasure Moment is in the band!!!!



Brilliant...love it






"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"a little bloke with a toupe and a facelift"

Dont forget the buttock implants.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Holly2003 wrote:

Dont forget the buttock implants.

I will if you don't mind - I'm trying to eat my lunch!!







QUEEN+PAULRODGERS user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

if john deacon dont come back ,for me neil murray its the perfect man for the job!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



QUEEN+PAULRODGERS wrote:

if john deacon dont come back ,for me neil murray its the perfect man for the job!

They didn't ask him because they wanted a bass player who could sing.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote







cmsdrums wrote:



Interesting info.  Do we know the exact reason why Rodgers didn't want her in the line up?  It's hard to believe that they would have got as far as asking her if PR had a problem with her to start with, so does it raise the interesting point that Brian and Roger were arranging a band to go out to play BEFORE getting a singer, and so had asked her in on bass first before looking for a vocalist, and then she backed out later on once PR got involved?

It must be gutting to get asked to join your favourite band, and then have to pull out because a little bloke with a toupe and a facelift stamps his feet - it would be like us getting asked to join them, but finding out that Treasure Moment is in the band!!!!


LOL. Fantastic post!






mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gail Ann Dorsey is amazing in lots of ways. Can you imagine the most famous baldy in popular music on the opposite side of the stage to the most out of control alien afro in the world?! I might actually have gone to see that! (I would have been listening to my mp3 player though, so I didnt have to listen to the noise coming from that 'singer''s mouth.)


FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Thunderbolt wrote:

I had always been under the impression that Gail Ann Dorsey not getting the job was more Paul Rodgers' decision than hers...wasn't there some bad blood between the two?


What a racist!







"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)