Forums > Personal > Should prisoners have the right to vote?

forum rss feed
Author

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the UK current serving prisoners do NOT have the right to vote. It has been suggested that the European Court of Human Rights may declare any general election result null and void if prisoners (currently about 86,000 people) do not have the opportunity to vote in the next election, likely to be May this year.

As someone who works in a prison I would be interested to know what you think.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Terrorists, murderers, rapists and pedophiles definetely not.

Those in for lesser crimes, I.e burglary or robbery where no serious harm came to anyone else, then maybe they could "earn" the right to vote back.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, prisoners should have the right to vote.  Most will someday be released back into society, and from a purely selfish and practical standpoint it is desirable to have prisoners engage given that they're there because the social contract broke down or never existed in their lives.  I would expect that the subset of prisoners who would be shamed (and thus rehabilitated) by losing the right to vote would be far exceeded by those who would be assisted in rehabilitation through fully participating in a social responsibility that they were often disconnected from in their lives outside.  Voting is unlikely to be a cure for criminality, but being informed and participating in debate and carrying out a civic duty can begin to change how at least some of these people think about themselves.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, they should.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Boy, that explains a lot!!!!  Do you work 'on top' or 'on bottom'?

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that depends on who drops the soap...

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

personally I dont think they should be allowed to vote.they should lose all civil liberties like voting,tv's,internet and stuff like that once imprisoned.too many do-gooders in authority now looking after the villains making sure they dont lose their 'human rights' and not enough being done for the 'victims' of crime who dont get such luxuries as free meals and free internet and nice weekend breaks at the beach at the expense of the tax payer.

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Grateful Fan on this.  Excluding people from society is hardly likely to promote rehabilitation into society when they are back out.  Also, they are citizens and are being represented by the government, so they need to have a say in that representation.  The point of prison should not be to make people suffer - that is basically for the sake of the rest of society.  We are angry, feel threatened, we want people locked up.  If there was more rehabilitation work done and more work done to help people integrate back into society, there would be less re-offending, and possibly a higher chance of positive participation in society later.  But i dont work in prison.  :)

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they should be allowed to vote.

But then I think you should collect all the prison ballots and burn them.  I don't want a mass-murderer voting on issues like Health Care or Capital Punishment.  Plus, they can't contribute political donations, so no incumbent would want them as constituents.

iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 10, 21:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nope they should not be allowed to vote

they serve their sentence and probabtion and stay out of trouble for lets say 5 years i can see them earning the right to vote again

they had the right to vote prior to prision and i bet 98.9% never did  so they are not really missing anything nor do i think they care much....

just my 2 cents

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 10, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fortunately, we have laws and binding international treaties, more and more of which are beginning to be implemented now, years or even decades after they were signed, that protect all citizens, regardless of their crimes, from arbitrary disfranchisement.

But what does that mean, "arbitrary disfranchisement"? It means withholding the right to vote and hold office from anyone without specific orders from a court. Any crime for which the person sentences goes to prison automatically renders null and void the right to hold office (passive franchise) for the duration of the sentence. The right to vote, however, can only technically be withheld from prisoners if a judge has specifically included a provision for that in the sentence. This rarely happens, because it is a very heavy punishment. Think, for instance, of states with a district system. Since someone who has lost the vote is not technically represented by any district's representative, he (or she) has none to appeal to politically. There are many such difficulties, and for that reason, withholding the vote from someone who would otherwise be eligible is permissible only for a very small number of offenses, such as crimes against the peace (being responsible for the pursuit of illegal warfare under international law), and a number of others I do not know.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 10, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no, they should not have the right to vote!

P.A
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 10, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no, they should not have the right to vote!

P.A
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 10, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead, as someone else who works in the prison system, i too have wondered about this subject many times in my 30 yrs service.

i came to this conclusion:
90,000 prisoners as a percentage of 40,000,000 million voters is less than 1% of the electorate. when all is considered:-
less than 1% total impact if all vote
most will vote with their backgrounds/traditional/habitual voting
many will not vote anyhow
no major party is likely to ever have a manifesto that favours criminals

so i say, with the virtually unnoticeable affect the extra voters may have - give them the vote

go deo na hÉireann
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 10, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They should have the right to vote, but they should not be allowed to the nearest ballot box.  

In my country, they'd get a fine for not turning up.  Suits me.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

mooghead

Posted: 27 Feb 10, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Boy, that explains a lot!!!!  Do you work 'on top' or 'on bottom'?

'up bottom' actually.

ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 873 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 10, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:

personally I dont think they should be allowed to vote.they should lose all civil liberties like voting,tv's,internet and stuff like that once imprisoned.too many do-gooders in authority now looking after the villains making sure they dont lose their 'human rights' and not enough being done for the 'victims' of crime who dont get such luxuries as free meals and free internet and nice weekend breaks at the beach at the expense of the tax payer.

I agree with this.

mooghead

Posted: 28 Feb 10, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Prisoners do not get internet access. When you hear about a prisoner updating his facebook page its because of an illegal mobile phone they have in their possession.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 10, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ParisNair wrote:

JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:

I agree with this.

Quite interesting, agreeing with something that isn't even half true to begin with.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus