Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Potential For Rare Live, Vol 2?

forum rss feed
Author

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3056 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Mar 10, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right guys, I know that a lot of us have been speculating over, dreaming about and arguing the point of the release of new live material.  Whether it is snippets from Knebworth, the full Hammy '75 show, Houston '77 or something from the Crazy Tour, we've spoken it over again and again.

Tonight, I was trawling through some of the booted DVDs  I currently own, and can perhaps see the point of why Queen aren't releasing this stuff.  I know there's some clips here and there in the so-called archives, but let's face it - the only full recordings that exist and have not yet seen DVD or HD release are Rainbow '74 (ok, not exactly full but most has survived); Hammersmith '75 and '79, Hyde Park'76; Earls Court and Houston '77; Sao Paolo, Buenos Aires and Caracas '81; Japan '82 and '85; Rio '85 and Budapest '86 and WE ALL already have this in some form or other.

Look back on your footage - it's LESS than great.  I know the original generations will be in better quality, but I'm talking more along the lines of the actual professionalism of the recordings - for example, during "White Queen" at Earls Court, the camera only appears to focus on Brian. Also the sound cuts during several parts of the show and there are many instances where the shots are out of focus.   Hyde Park is full of imperfections also, and this really does continue throughout most of the recordings I've seen (and that includes such footage owned by the "big-hitters").  For me, they just didn't capture the live atmosphere one would expect, like the Wembley and Budapest Shows did. And, apart from that - and I hate to say it - the performances aren't always spot-on either...

So, I was thinking that we could, perhaps (and if QPL were keen to make a project of it) settle for the best of what is left, like a "Rare-Live Volume 2" kind of idea? The first one was poorly edited and was full of errors regarding dates and venues, so perhaps it could be re-done to incorporate what we've already seen plus the best of what we haven't seen officially released (and hopefully better than the streaming vids we saw from the AG release!).

Any thoughts?

I am currently compiling my favourite footage and it consists of the likes of Father To Son (Rainbow); Sweet Lady and You Take My Breath Away (Hyde Park); White Queen and Death On Two Legs (Earls Court); You're My Best Friend and '39 (Houston); Save Me, Don't Stop Me Now and We Will Rock You (Hammersmith '79); If You Can't Beat Them and Dreamers Ball (Paris '79); We Are The Champions (Munich '79); Need Your Loving (Argentina '81); Flash/ Hero (Venezuela '81); Put Out The Fire and Teo Torriatte (Japan '82).....and some of the footage from the PR shows (although just sung by Brian and Roger - Las palabras De Amor and I Was Born To Love You).

Finally, knowing what you have in your video collections - what footage would you include in such a release?

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are correct about some of the video work being less than professional on some concerts, but PLEASE don't start talking about "rare live vol2" as someone from Queen Productions will think that's a great idea and before we know it that'll be another waste of time release we get.... [img=/images/smiley/msn/sad_smile.gif][/img]

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I can do my own Rare Live 2 on youtube.  While I did like the idea when it came out, I quickly put this video (Rare Live) on the shelf because the mixes got annoying.  I, too, am afraid QPL will do Magic Rare Live and not release the full length Wembley or Budapest.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Finally, knowing what you have in your video collections - what footage
would you include in such a release?

Procession - intro from the film "Live at the Rainbow"
Son And Daughter - Rainbow 31.3.1974
Modern Times Rock'n'Roll - Rainbow 31.3.1974
Stone Cold Crazy - Rainbow xx.11.1974
Now I'm Here - Budokan 1.5.1975
White Queen (As It Began) - Hammersmith Odeon 24.12.1975
Liar - Hammersmith Odeon 24.12.1975
Bohemian Rhapsody (intro) - Hammersmith Odeon 24.12.1975
Bohemian Rhapsody (the rest) / Ogre Battle - Hyde Park 18.9.1976
The Prophet's Song - Hyde Park 18.9.1976
White Man / The Prophet's Song reprise - Earls Court 6.6.1977
Doing Alright - Earls Court 6.6.1977
Rock'n'roll medley - Earls Court - 7.6.1977
The Millionaire Waltz - Houston 11.12.1977
Let Me Entertain You - Paris 28.2.1979
If You Can't Beat Them - Paris 1.3.1979
Teo Torriate - Budokan 25.4.1979
Jailhouse Rock / We Will Rock You (fast) - Hammersmith Odeon 26.12.1979
Mustapha / Death On Two Legs / Killer Queen / I'm In Love With My Car / Get Down Make Love / You're My Best Friend - Hammersmith Odeon 26.12.1979
Don't Stop Me Now - Hammersmith Odeon 26.12.1979
Keep Yourself Alive / drum solo / guitar solo / Silent Night / Brighton Rock reprise - Hammersmith Odeon 26.12.1979
Sheer Heart Attack - Hammersmith Odeon 26.12.1979
Need Your Lovin' Tonight - Buenos Aires, 1.3.1981
Another One Bites The Dust - Sao Paolo, 20.3.1981
Staying Power - Milton Keynes, 5.6.1982
Somebody To Love - Milton Keynes 5.6.1982
Save Me - Milton Keynes, 5.6.1982
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Tokorozawa, 3.11.1982
Rock In Rio Blues / A Hard Life - Rio De Janeiro, 19.1.1985
Love Of My Life - Rio De Janeiro, 19.1.1985
We Will Rock You - Wembley, 13.7.1985
A Kind Of Magic - Budapest, 27.7.1986
One Vision - Knebworth Park 9.8.1986
Tie Your Mother Down - Knebworth Park 9.8.1986
Hammer To Fall - Knebworth Park 9.8.1986
We Will Rock You / Friends Will Be Friends / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen - Knebworth Park 9.8.1986

Enough ?

queen79luca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 179 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with someone of you.

Most of the 70 s shows are not great for cameras, mic problems etc..so quite sure they ll never see the light as an official Dvd..exception for Hammy 75 and Rainbow 74.

Another Rare Live?
well..before they should correct the first version...

peterkoz1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 102 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

interesting to read all the latest blogs on Queen future releases , lets face it Queen are no longer the selling machine they once where , the cost of producing and releasing everything we all want from yesteryear is not commercially worth it for them.
Absolute Greatest needed publicity via BM & RT on X factor !! and still did not make N01 with all them greatest hits on the cd.
Post Queen ie QPR , say its not true (even though released for charity) flopped in th uk , c-celebrity scratched the lower end of the top 40 for a week !! and the album although reaching top ten dissapeared a few weeks later.
All expensive flops , remember both BM & RT no doubt still split everything  4 ways so i doubt we will ever see anything that may only sell enough to pay fro production.
Sad really as we have supported the band for years , you only have to look at The Beatles for a guide , the fans waited 25yrs for Anthologies !!! and thats it nothing else since (well if you include owning a xbox or ps3 as thats were the money is).
So My predictions is:
Year 2011 - Queen Rock Band
2012 - Queen Lego
2013 - Queen Greatest Hits 1,2,3 DVD special Box Set
2014 - Queen - We will rock you Movie soundtrack
2015 - Queen - anniversary of some sort Greatest Hits 1  - 3D Version !!
2020 - Queen The Magical Years 70, 80, 90,s 10cd , demos b- sides outakes + 2dvd of a concert from each era in super hd/ 3d (the one we have all been waiting for) I will be only 48 !!!

ps i expect once there all dead then Eagle Vision will buy up whatever they can and start to sell £3.99p low quality crap for many years to come !

The End........................................?

hi freddie
queen79luca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 179 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Final live in Japan is already a great concert for picture quality and cameras.

Yeah, the sound needs a remix, in most of the parts the keyboard is too high!

I don t know if they own the rights for this concert...:(

You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Mustapha / Death On Two Legs / Killer Queen / I'm In Love With My Car / Get Down Make Love / You're My Best Friend - Hammersmith Odeon 26.12.1979
Keep Yourself Alive / drum solo / guitar solo / Silent Night / Brighton Rock reprise - Hammersmith Odeon 26.12.1979
We Will Rock You / Friends Will Be Friends / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen - Knebworth Park 9.8.1986

Enough ?

That's quite a tracklisting!  Very well thought out, I would definitely be interested in a release like this - I don't think that the Millionaire Waltz works though, as it's part of a medley, and the other medleys are too lengthy and lack in quality as said in original post.  If they were cut - well enough that is - then they could perhaps be turned into a medley of medleys, lol!

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

You are correct about some of the video work being less than professional on some concerts, but PLEASE don't start talking about "rare live vol2" as someone from Queen Productions will think that's a great idea and before we know it that'll be another waste of time release we get.... [img=/images/smiley/msn/sad_smile.gif][/img]

I totally disagree.  I think a project like this would be well worth the effort as it would combine the best of the stuff we're asking for without having to release every full show we crave.  As already suggested on this particular thread, it wouldn't be financially worth it for QPL to release the full shows as it would only generate interest from the die-hards and flop like the rest of the recent releases.  A compilation of the better quality material from each of the shows we're looking for would still,  IMHO, generate interest from us.  It could be released as a double disc set and would give the opportunity for them to ammend the original release.  I really don't think it would be a waste of time - especially when you see tracklists like the one pittrek has posted above.

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Earls Court has already been spruced up hasn't it? A clip was shown on something recentlyish with newly remixed audio - perfectly releaseable and the picture quality pisses all over Milton Keynes and Wembley. There's 2 nights of audio and visuals to choose from, so there's gonna be no problems is there? If QPL don't (for reasons only known to themselves) believe material like that won't sell that well - as a trial, advertise it as a limited edition via QOL and sell direct or release several gigs in a boxset along with a sampler type thing for the general market. QPL know there are hundreads of thousands of fans interested in these gigs - why only release excerpts? And of course - they could always try giving value for money and release full gigs as bonus material like the Who did with their last DVD. The Coliseum show is great to watch - despite the footage not being 100% amazing and the audio clearly being sourced from a vintage mono mix.

GinjaNinja user not visiting Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

peterkoz1 wrote:

Year 2011 - Queen Rock Band

2012 - Queen Lego 

2013 - Queen Greatest Hits 1,2,3 DVD special Box Set

2020 - Queen The Magical Years 70, 80, 90,s 10cd , demos b- sides outakes + 2dvd of a concert from each era in super hd/ 3d (the one we have all been waiting for) I will be only 48 !!!

£3.99p low quality crap

I'd buy all these[img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img]

Property Of Queen Productions...
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

Earls Court has already been spruced up hasn't it? A clip was shown on something recentlyish with newly remixed audio - perfectly releaseable and the picture quality pisses all over Milton Keynes and Wembley. There's 2 nights of audio and visuals to choose from, so there's gonna be no problems is there? If QPL don't (for reasons only known to themselves) believe material like that won't sell that well - as a trial, advertise it as a limited edition via QOL and sell direct or release several gigs in a boxset along with a sampler type thing for the general market. QPL know there are hundreads of thousands of fans interested in these gigs - why only release excerpts? And of course - they could always try giving value for money and release full gigs as bonus material like the Who did with their last DVD. The Coliseum show is great to watch - despite the footage not being 100% amazing and the audio clearly being sourced from a vintage mono mix.

Spruced up how mate?  You say you saw a clip, but maybe that clip was taken from what footage is actually salvagable from the show - that's why I think excerpts would have been the best way of getting the best of what's left out to us. I don't agree that Earls Court footage was better in quality than MK or Wembley, but your idea of the trial is one worth thinking about for QPL, though - at least that way it would definitely go out to folk who are interested in it and wouldn't bomb, sales-wise.  Their idea of the streaming videos was good with the AG release, but the footage was nothing new - and many people bought the special editions of that just to see the rare footage that never materialised.  Releasing full but lesser-quality shows to the general public may (probably) just bring more poor sales and further detriment to the Queen name.  You know what it's like - we want something and then moan when we get it (recent example the Q+PR tours). 

rubens user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 151 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 10, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I have no interest in bits and pieces.The first rare live really sucks and I doubt a second one would come better.

neokaden user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 97 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 10, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Enough ?

I in this setlist, I would get Bohemian Rhapsody (intro) 24.12.1975 Hammersmith Odeon, and Bohemian Rhapsody (rest) Hyde Park 1976.

Instead put Bohemian Rhapsody but the concert for the people of Kampuchea (Hammersmith Odeon 26.12.1979), mainly because Freddie here reaches very high notes, including the "Carry On"

See it yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEKlXgEGOA

You add Spread Your Wings (live version of the Hammersmith Odeon 26.12.1979)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OlFRWOyRjw

The best live version of bohemian rhapsody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEKlXgEGOA
Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 10, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How about this? If QPL doesn't want to release all the concerts etc. on DVD for commercial purposes, fine. What about making a limited run of these DVD's, make some CD's with the music as well, and make it available on the website, and give half of the proceeds to the Terrence Higgins foundation? No cuts in the shows, no BS. The real deal holyfield, but make just a limited run of them. I think that would go down well...and no on the Rare Live 2, because it seems like an honest waste of time. I would personally have a whole concert to watch/listen to, rather than just 2 or 3 pieces of a show.

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
P-Tr extinction event user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 492 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 10, 04:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote:

Right guys, I know that a lot of us have been speculating over, dreaming about and arguing the point of the release of new live material.  Whether it is snippets from Knebworth, the full Hammy '75 show, Houston '77 or something from the Crazy Tour, we've spoken it over again and again.

Tonight, I was trawling through some of the booted DVDs  I currently own, and can perhaps see the point of why Queen aren't releasing this stuff.  I know there's some clips here and there in the so-called archives, but let's face it - the only full recordings that exist and have not yet seen DVD or HD release are Rainbow '74 (ok, not exactly full but most has survived); Hammersmith '75 and '79, Hyde Park'76; Earls Court and Houston '77; Sao Paolo, Buenos Aires and Caracas '81; Japan '82 and '85; Rio '85 and Budapest '86 and WE ALL already have this in some form or other.

Look back on your footage - it's LESS than great.  I know the original generations will be in better quality, but I'm talking more along the lines of the actual professionalism of the recordings - for example, during "White Queen" at Earls Court, the camera only appears to focus on Brian. Also the sound cuts during several parts of the show and there are many instances where the shots are out of focus.   Hyde Park is full of imperfections also, and this really does continue throughout most of the recordings I've seen (and that includes such footage owned by the "big-hitters").  For me, they just didn't capture the live atmosphere one would expect, like the Wembley and Budapest Shows did. And, apart from that - and I hate to say it - the performances aren't always spot-on either...

'Less than great' you say, but your  examples here are mostly rough cuts or live TV edits - its like discussing about 'Headlong' , based on the rough Brian demo instead of the 'Innuendo' album release. Earls Court is a rough cut, we don't know how the 2nd night looks in its entire form , we dont know if multi-feed camera footage survives or not. Rainbow is a 50 minute long cut of 2 nights - which can also be great in full form. Japan 79 is still unknown except for 30 mins, and recent findings point to QPL having the multi feed video. Hyde Park footage appearing in recent releases looks great.  Wembley 86 was awful in VHS form - and it was an edit done in 86 - only the DVD form made it to a great exciting release. Same goes for Milton Keynes 82 - though the Tube editing was OK, it was incomplete like Rainbow etc...  

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 10, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote:

Spruced up how mate?  You say you saw a clip, but maybe that clip was taken from what footage is actually salvagable from the show

Re-mastered - the picture was crystal clear and the audio had obviously been re-mixed. Not the plain transfer and mono mix that was used as a bonus track with AG.  It may have been on the ANATO documentary or sometihng like that. It was only recorded in 1977 - unless it's been stored in very poor conditions it should all be salvagable, and of course there are the seperate multitrack and soundboard recordings. I'm sure it's all already been transferred (and had work done on it).

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 10, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didn't we forget "Calling All Girls" from New Haven 1982 TV report ( full version must be in the archives there).

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Soapy Gonad user not visiting Queenzone.com
Soapy Gonad
Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 10, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello QweenZ,

I have some rare footage on 8mm film that I would like to submit to an archive, but I lost it up my oathole so now I don't have it anymore.

It was of John Deacons fusting himself before stepping on stage to deliver a powerful lecture on how high a bass guitar should be worn. He also got lost up my oathole.

When I was listening to Hot Space last night I funked like a demon on a picture of Brian May. I can't stop singing that Ford song he did. It's tits!

SG
x

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 10, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote:

Releasing full but lesser-quality shows to the general public may (probably) just bring more poor sales and further detriment to the Queen name.

I strongly disagree.  People understand that old footage may not be great quality.  Record sales will never slow down because of DVDs that aren't up to snuff.

There are about 10 DVDs of Hendrix shows, mostly from 1969 and 1970.  There's no way there isn't enough Queen footage in their vaults that isn't at least equal quality to Hendrix footage that's 5-10 years older.

during "White Queen" at Earls Court, the camera only appears to focus on Brian. Also the sound cuts during several parts of the show and there are many instances where the shots are out of focus.

This video we have is most likely the feed that was shown live on the two screens at the concert.  Even if that isn't the case, the footage the other cameras filmed should still be in the archives, provided that they've stood the test of time.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca