Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Early Queen, andThe good old metal Scream.

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2754 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm starting a silly thread,  but something I think about sometimes.....The early roger talyor screams mostly in freddie songs.  Why these screams don't get mentioned more when metal fans talk about the start of the metal scream the way halford has been.  Afterall, it was rob halford that say's early queen were such a big Influence.  also, Keep in mind Priest first started with those screams on the sad wings of destiny album released in 1976, while queen did their screams/metal in 73/74 especially Orge battle and queen2.  Before priest did it.   another case where queen were ahead of their time.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dammit.  I thought this was a thread started for the rock band THE SCREAM, the only other rock act on Hollywood's catalog when they signed up Queen in 91.

Let It Scream, produced by Eddie Frickin' Kramer!!!!

I was just reading through the liner notes, just for fun, and I noticed that the band members actually credited themselves a second time in the "Additional Musicians" section for "Hand Claps"...  except the lead guitarist.

Do you think Brian May took the same approach during the Under Pressure sessions?  "Not with THESE hands, you bastards!!!!"

That is all I have.  Good Night.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Screams were already common in rock music before metal began: Helter Skelter, I'm Down, Longtall Sally, even I Fell Good.

Moreover, the usual metal screaming approach is more similar to what happened in Brian's compositions (e.g. Prophet's Song - 'listen to the mad MAN') than the more dramatic ones in Fred's songs. What Roger did in Lap of the Gods, Bo Rhap and other songs was very rarely copied, as most singers wouldn't be able to pull that off.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Planetgurl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 217 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 10, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The one in Ogre Battle's spectacular...

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2754 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 10, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know they didn't invent the metal scream...but I do think they were one of the first to do it.  Orge battle is the perfect example....they were doing the priest/manowar scream before any of them

ilikefreddyguy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 10, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes! Not enough people mention Brian May's metal scream. With the ferocity of a caterpillar.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 10, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marlon Brando's ex-wife Anna Kashfi once wrote that his (Marlon's) voice sounded like a caterpillar squiqqling through a soda straw. And it did, too.

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 10, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can hear the metal scream you guys refer to, but it is nothing in comparison to what would eventually become THE metal scream.  It's certainly a predecessor, but it's also preceded, as mentioned by someone else, by other tunes from the 60s.  It's a gradual evolution of rebellious expression.

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18461 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 10, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BlazeGoldmine wrote:

Yes! Not enough people mention Brian May's metal scream. With the ferocity of a caterpillar.

Hahaha!  There's the post of the day.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 10, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BlazeGoldmine wrote:

I said MAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Love Token @ Brixton Academy

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 10, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know about the screams but I consider Stone Cold Crazy (and maybe Ogre Battle and/or Modern Times Rock and Roll) to be the first thrash song.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 01:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Metal scream?? How so? I always thought it was closer to an Ian Gillan/Ted Neeley kind of thing.  Nothing metal there ...

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller