forum rss feed
Author

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Promised to upload these a while back but just getting round to it now -- apologies. They're not great quality: I had to smuggle in a small 'instamatic' camera or risk losing it at the door. As far as I know (which isn't too far) these may be the only photos circulating from the concert. Lots of people were taking pics, but none seem to have ended up on the net. Can't remember if this was first or second night.

Attachment: 1046051859263975.jpg 376 KB
This has been downloaded 242 time(s).

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Attachment: 104605714192539.jpg 397 KB
This has been downloaded 165 time(s).

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Attachment: 104705519829852.jpg 322 KB
This has been downloaded 151 time(s).

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Attachment: 1047051133348576.jpg 352 KB
This has been downloaded 143 time(s).

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks holly.nice and close.1st one is best.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right on!  Thanks a lot for posting these.

Hope you don't mind.. I've got them up on my website, and naturally I've credited you for them.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Hope you don't mind.. I've got them up on my website, and naturally I've credited you for them.

Not at all. In fact, I think it was you I promised them to a while ago 

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[img=/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif][/img]  Wow. Great pics Holly.

Arse.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

As I read this thread earlier and looked the pictures it occurred to me that I could channel the horrible stabs of jealousy I was feeling into something positive by learning more about this concert. So I went immediately to your site and thought "Wow! He's already got these pictures up!".  Anyway, I was impressed, and thought I'd use this opportunity to tell you once again what a great resource queenlive.ca is and what a great job you do with it.

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny how camera technology has come so far!

Also, hard to imagine Queen in such a small venue as the RDS.  Was there for Bowie a few years ago....the Who before that...U2 before that.... Sigh...such times we had.

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
GratefulFan

Posted: 05 Mar 10, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.computer wrote:

Funny how camera technology has come so far!

Also, hard to imagine Queen in such a small venue as the RDS.  Was there for Bowie a few years ago....the Who before that...U2 before that.... Sigh...such times we had.

It almost looks like a club.  Crazy.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 06 Mar 10, 22:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

Sir GH wrote:

Not at all. In fact, I think it was you I promised them to a while ago

Ah yes, but of course!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

The Real Wizard

Posted: 06 Mar 10, 22:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote:

As I read this thread earlier and looked the pictures it occurred to me that I could channel the horrible stabs of jealousy I was feeling into something positive by learning more about this concert. So I went immediately to your site and thought "Wow! He's already got these pictures up!".  Anyway, I was impressed, and thought I'd use this opportunity to tell you once again what a great resource queenlive.ca is and what a great job you do with it.

That's very flattering.  Cheers.

DrumBrother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 223 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 10, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aah the memories. Was at both nights and have photos to prove it. Must get them out and post a few. The RDS Simmonscourt wasn't that small at all but at the time it was the best venue in Ireland.
Interesting point.... Leaving the venue after the show on the second night, I saw a guy making his way down the steps from the seating at the back of the hall and he was putting quite a large movie camera into a backpack. I've never come across any video footage of this show but maybe some exists.

Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1058 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 10, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for posting these Holly! 

I was at the first night - you brought back a few memories, mostly of nearly passing out with the heat and the crushing.

The second night we went to see the band coming back to their hotel (The Gresham).  Only Freddie turned up.  I forced him to shake hands.  He said nothing, signed no autographs and had a right puss on him.

Happy days!!!

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 08 Mar 10, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DrumBrother & Voice of Reason -- it would be great of you could scan and post any pictures you have from that night. As I get older, my memory of the concert is fading fast! Got a chartered bus down from Belfast for both nights, back home in the early hours. Recall terrible sound quality in the RDS: have never been back there, except to see Fleetwood Mac, although that was an outdoor show.

GratefulFan

Posted: 08 Mar 10, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, if one is a certain age and from not quite the right place there is so much to regret about concerts you'll never see. I'm old enough to have had 70's bands on the fringes of my awareness in the moment and to have developed full on love affairs with them by my later teens and 20's but not old enough to have had any real practical chance of seeing them at the time.  Maybe if I had lived in Toronto or Montreal things would have been different.   It's something I genuinely wish was different.

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 08 Mar 10, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote:

You know, if one is a certain age and from not quite the right place there is so much to regret about concerts you'll never see. I'm old enough to have had 70's bands on the fringes of my awareness in the moment and to have developed full on love affairs with them by my later teens and 20's but not old enough to have had any real practical chance of seeing them at the time.  Maybe if I had lived in Toronto or Montreal things would have been different.   It's something I genuinely wish was different.

You might not want to read the following list of concerts I've been to then :p and I'm nothing special. I know people who've gone to many many more:

Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
Meatloaf
Dave Lee Roth
Queen (x2)
Brian May Band
Queen + Paul Rodgers
BB King
The Seahorses
Fleetwood Mac
Pearl Jam
Neil Young
Barry Manilow (!)
Kiss (!)
Status Quo (x2)
Bryan Adams (x3)
The Scorpions (x2)
AC/DC
Def Leppard
Chris Rea
David Gilmore
Saxon
Elton John
Queensryche
Gary Moore
The Cult
Dire Straits
Andy Irvine
The Pogues

Most of these were Belfast/Dublin/London, so geographical location plays a big role. We sometimes don't realise how lucky we are living in the UK. I recently watched the Iron Maiden 666 documentary, and one poor guy, a maiden fan from Costa Rica, said he was from the 'arsehole of the world', and no major groups ever visited there.

ps the best gig was Bryan Adams at Maysfield Leisure Centre, Belfast, on his 'Into the Fire' tour. It was only big enough to hold around 500 people! Great, great concert. Elton was next best. 

Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1058 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 10, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We have no photos I'm afraid Holly.  I didn't have a camera then and didn't bring the family one!

Funnily enough I was at that Fleetwood Mac gig too.  I didn't think that much of it.

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
GratefulFan

Posted: 09 Mar 10, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

GratefulFan wrote:

You might not want to read the following list of concerts I've been to then :p and I'm nothing special. I know people who've gone to many many more:

Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
Meatloaf
Dave Lee Roth
Queen (x2)
Brian May Band
Queen + Paul Rodgers
BB King
The Seahorses
Fleetwood Mac
Pearl Jam
Neil Young
Barry Manilow (!)
Kiss (!)
Status Quo (x2)
Bryan Adams (x3)
The Scorpions (x2)
AC/DC
Def Leppard
Chris Rea
David Gilmore
Saxon
Elton John
Queensryche
Gary Moore
The Cult
Dire Straits
Andy Irvine
The Pogues

Most of these were Belfast/Dublin/London, so geographical location plays a big role. We sometimes don't realise how lucky we are living in the UK. I recently watched the Iron Maiden 666 documentary, and one poor guy, a maiden fan from Costa Rica, said he was from the 'arsehole of the world', and no major groups ever visited there.

ps the best gig was Bryan Adams at Maysfield Leisure Centre, Belfast, on his 'Into the Fire' tour. It was only big enough to hold around 500 people! Great, great concert. Elton was next best. 

(!) or not, there was a time when I would have crawled over chewed up bubble gum and broken barbie dolls to see Barry Manilow.

Reviewing your list I've calculated that I've seen...3 of those. :(

I first saw Bryan Adams as a support act for Loverboy in 1983 or so.  He was a barely-known at the time and his set was the best support set I've ever seen.  It was amazing and set the tone for the whole concert that followed. He must have been fantastic in the small venue. I saw Meat Loaf in a 1500 or so seat venue in the late 80's or early 90's, and Def Leppard in the last few years locally.

Other than that I've seen a bunch of fantastic Canadian bands most of you have probably never heard of, plus Rush, The Doobie Brothers, Steppenwolf, Steve Earle and Twisted Sister (!). And probably a few others who are slipping my mind just now.

Elton John got it into his pretty little head two years ago to play two small Ontario cities.   I have no idea why.  I'm not even sure he was on tour. Anyway, one of them was my city, and we lost our collective minds with joy.  Unfortunately the whole ticket sale thing was an unmitigated disaster.  They warned people off the box office and on to the web, where the system was an impenetrable mess under the strain.   The handful of people who didn't listen and went to the box office got floor seats. Online it was a completey random crapshoot who ended up with tickets and thousands of people like me who were online 30 minutes early in anticipation were shut out.  The city was flooded with people from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal who have these opportunites all the time and thousands of local people for whom this was a once in a lifetime chance were out of luck.  It was a bitter disappointment made worse when it was revealed that a few hundred tickets were taken out of the pool by local politicians who gave themselves first crack at buying them.  We have an election this year locally and I guarantee people are going to get turfed over it.  Elton addressed the ticket controversy on stage and said he was going to come back, so it remains a dream of mine to see him here.  Hope it happens.