Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Joe Elliot: Brian was the big anchor of Queen

forum rss feed
Author

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 10, 23:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Joe Elliot as quoted in 'Brian May: The Definitive Biography" by Laura Jackson

"It is my personal belief that Brian was the big anchor of Queen. I don't take anything away from the other three, but had it not been for Brian then I think they would have become a pop band and not as big as they are.  Freddie, I feel, would have leaned more towards ballads and Roger to pop. 'Radio Ga Ga' is a terrific Queen number but very pop. The hard stuff is down to Brian.  I think he kept a crucial and unique balance in the band."

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 01:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he meant "wig wanker".

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote:

"It is my personal belief that Brian was the big anchor of Queen. I don't take anything away from the other three, but had it not been for Brian then I think they would have become a pop band and not as big as they are.  Freddie, I feel, would have leaned more towards ballads and Roger to pop. 'Radio Ga Ga' is a terrific Queen number but very pop. The hard stuff is down to Brian.  I think he kept a crucial and unique balance in the band."

I fully agree

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what a great discovery, Mr. Elliot.

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no really?...of course brian was the rocker of the band,  but I can't see queen without songs like millianare waltz, the style that really set them apart from the basic rock bands.   let's face it,  a lot of bands were recording kick as stuff like stone cold crazy and tie your mother down.....name one band other than queen that were recording stuff like the millionare waltz?...It really was the balance of the freddie and brian songs that made queen who they were.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Depends on what you want to anchor to...

Sure, he played a major part in the rock hitsongs (I Want it All, Tie Your Mother Down, We Will Rock You etc) but John was the anchor when it came to black influences, and so on. I still like to think they all played a part in Queen (Perhaps John and Roger to a less extend than Brian and Freddie). But still, if Brian or Freddie would've been replaced in a crucial point in their carreer (74-'76) It would've been all so different.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do not understand why people always try to divide a band into important or less important  members.

I think the sentence "the sum of a band is bigger than the sum of the individual members" says it all.
It's the chemistry of certain people getting together  that makes a band exciting.
Freddie and Brian definitely put their stamp on the Queen sound. But with Roger and John and their enormous stylistic variety they could work out all those ideas. 

Imagine the Beatles without Ringo...all their movies would have been quite boring as he was a brilliant actor and added so much to the visual image of the band. And yet people tend to say it was all Lennon and McCartney...

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

Depends on what you want to anchor to...

Sure, he played a major part in the rock hitsongs (I Want it All, Tie Your Mother Down, We Will Rock You etc) but John was the anchor when it came to black influences, and so on. I still like to think they all played a part in Queen (Perhaps John and Roger to a less extend than Brian and Freddie). But still, if Brian or Freddie would've been replaced in a crucial point in their carreer (74-'76) It would've been all so different.

That say's it all...In their prime...".the opera/races era "  No freddie, no Queen.  the same for brian of course.  you could never replace a singer like fred, also what most don't mention is the fact that his songwriting was by far the most original of the group, and one of the most original songwriters in rock history for that matter.   Of course his songs wouldn't have been the same without brian may....the sound of the guitar fit perfectly with freddie's style of songwriting.  "millionare waltz" say's it all.    No way does freddie get those results with a oridinary rock guitarist.  They needed each other big time. 

Rubbersuit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 331 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Freddie had the biggest anchor.

greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, Freddie did write some of Queens heavy songs and riffs: Orgre Battle, Princes of the Universe, Bohemian Rhapsody, Great King Rat, Flick of the Wrist, Death on Two Legs, an so on.

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish Queen had a drummer with one arm, I love freaks like that!

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, I was actually going to reply that, if one was referring to Queen's later career, then the esteemed Mr. Elliott (whose music I do have a ton of respect for, actually) would be correct. Then I thought a little harder about it, and two things came to mind.

"Princes of the Universe"
"Was It All Worth It"

Sure, Freddie skewed towards ballads and three-chord pop later on, but even late in the band's career, he was still cranking out a (very) hard rocker or two per album. Roger's music skewed towards the abstract frequently, but he still wrote "I'm in Love with My Car" and "Rock It (Prime Jive)," both of which were definitely rock music. Really, about the only member who didn't contribute any songs to the string-breaking aspect of things was John.

I get what Joe's saying, and I know where he's going with it. No Brian = no Now I'm Here, no TYMD, no WWRY, no FBG, no Hammer to Fall, no IWIA. But before one pins Brian as the band's king of hard rock, let's not forget...

...this is also the guy who wrote "Save Me," "Las Palabras de Amor," "Who Wants to Live Forever" and most of the band's acoustic ballads.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For those who are just as puzzled as me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Elliott

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rubbersuit wrote:

I think Freddie had the biggest anchor.

LOL

Keep Passing the Open Windows
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and let's not forget...some of queen's loudest and biggest rockers...were Freddie's songs

Liar
Great King Rat
Ogre Battle
March of the Black Queen
Seven Seas of Rhye
Death on Two Legs

go deo na hÉireann
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian might be the anchor, but Freddie's the ship :P

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 10, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course Mr Elliot would say that: Brian's his closest friend in the band and probably the only Queen member who cares about Lep. If Joe ever met Freddie this is probably how the conversation went:

Joe: Hi Freddie, it's so great to finally meet you, I'm a huge fan!
Freddie: Who the bloody hell are you?
Joe: I sing in Def Leppard and... (gets interrupted)
Freddie: Phoebe! Time to take out the rubbish! Get this mis-spelling bastard out of here!
Joe: But Fred, you love Led Zeppelin...
Freddie: How dare you compare your group with them?

So, it's natural that Joe's Brian-biased. BTW, Freddie did love Led Zeppelin a lot. He often cited Robert Plant as his favourite singer (or one of his favourites). He also cited Michael Jackson, Paul Young, Aretha, Montserrat, and his friends have also mentioned he had a soft spot for Prince, Bowie and others. And d'you know who was never mentioned in those lists before '04? Paul Rodgers!

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 12 Mar 10, 01:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:

and let's not forget...some of queen's loudest and biggest rockers...were Freddie's songs

Liar
Great King Rat
Ogre Battle
March of the Black Queen
Seven Seas of Rhye
Death on Two Legs
I think Orge battle and great king rat were the heaviest songs Queen ever did. 

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 10, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think its fair to say that they all needed each other.

They kinda fed off one another's ideas in the studio.

And then there is the live perfomances.Especially in the seventies,when it was just the 4 of them.They all kinda relied on Brian quite heavily.When Freddie would stop playing his piano to do a bit of lead singing,Brian would very often have to cover for Freddie not playing his piano.Therefore becoming a rhythm guitarist who throws in a few lead riffs every now and again.

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3039 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 10, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote:

"It is my personal belief that Brian was the big anchor of Queen. I don't take anything away from the other three, but had it not been for Brian then I think they would have become a pop band and not as big as they are. 
THEY DID BECOME A POP BAND AND BECAME MASSIVE ON THE BACK OF IT

Freddie, I feel, would have leaned more towards ballads and Roger to pop.
 'Radio Ga Ga' is a terrific Queen number but very pop. The hard stuff is down to Brian.  I think he kept a crucial and unique balance in the band."
ROGER - SHEER HEART ATTACK, FREDDIE - OGRE BATTLE, BRIAN - ALL DEAD, ALL DEAD

I think, taking into account my points above (and those of others on this topic), Joe Eilliott was MASSIVELY generalising don't you think?!!!