Forums > Personal > Daylight Saving Time

forum rss feed
Author

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Mar 10, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hate switching to Daylight Saving Time. Hate it.  It always screws me up way more than it should.  It's a day that has since childhood felt like melancholy and loss, which I fully appreciate is kind of silly.  It's 8:30 at night, allegedly, and all I've had to eat all day is a couple of slices of rye toast with peanut butter for breakfast, or lunch, or whatever one is having when it's ten-eleventy o'clock.  Now it too late or too early or too something for dinner and I'm hungry and restless and mopey.  Anybody else get bugged like this?

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 10, 06:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Anybody else get bugged like this?"

Answer - No because I have a life and I dont get bothered by things like this

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
GratefulFan

Posted: 15 Mar 10, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember reading a year or two ago about a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine that concluded that the risk of heart attack spiked 5% in the week following the switch to Daylight Saving Time.  In the fall when the switch is made back, risk drops 1.5% below the baseline.  It affected working people (who are tied to the clock) almost exclusively.   I thought that was pretty amazing for a single hour of lost/gained sleep.

All I know is the switch sure makes me feel predictably dissonant every time.  I ended up taking a drive for a couple of hours last night just listening to music, which is my favourite cure all.   Satellite thoughtfully blessed with a little Bohemian Rhapsody. :)

KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 10, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It definitely requires more adjusting from me than I would ever have thought. One hour doesn't seem like much but I feel it. I'm just thankful that I'm on Spring break this week and didn't have to experience waking up at 6 am and having it feel like 5. :-)

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
believe in yourself 45455 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 10, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It always takes me a few days to adjust. I don't have this problem when we return to wintertime

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 10, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's total bullshit.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 10, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hate it, as far as going an hour forward. From the day afterwards, I feel more exhausted and a bit 'jet lagged' for a few days :-(

Funny story though...One time a few years ago, on a weekend day following the daylight savings going an hour back, I totally forgot to change one clock (that I used for my alarm I believe), and I went to Future Shop that morning to get some DVD-R spindle packs that had quite the insane discount prices, but there was a limited amount per store, so I wanted to get there right before opening time, right? Guess what....I got there an hour too early, and it was freezing outside on top of that!  >______<

GratefulFan

Posted: 17 Mar 10, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DST is such a brilliant idea I wish we could do it way more often.  It's 12:45 in the morning, and I'm still up.  Which would possibly be less annoying if I hadn't tossed and turned ALL last night.  Feh. I'm off to bed to stare at the ceiling and count DVD-Rs.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 10, 01:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote:

DST is such a brilliant idea I wish we could do it way more often.  It's 12:45 in the morning, and I'm still up.  Which would possibly be less annoying if I hadn't tossed and turned ALL last night.  Feh. I'm off to bed to stare at the ceiling and count DVD-Rs.

That'd better not be a dig at me...

GratefulFan

Posted: 17 Mar 10, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, of course it wasn't a dig.  It was a joke!

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 10, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

funny how you never hear anyone having a moan when they get an extra hour in bed in October....?

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

GratefulFan

Posted: 17 Mar 10, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:

funny how you never hear anyone having a moan when they get an extra hour in bed in October....?

Thick walls?