Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Values

forum rss feed
Author

Jam Monkey user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jam Monkey
Bohemian: 663 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Mar 10, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide on the value of Queen records/CD's etc. I need to value my collection so I can insure it.

I have the Record Collector price guide, but it doesn't list everyhting I have by a long shot.

Thanks

Contact me, I'm no Darth Vader: jam_monkey@hotmail.com
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to know, as well. Someone should do it and have it up on www.queenpedia.com ......... but no, they are too busy editing the Paul Rodgers section.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18452 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Britt wrote:

I want to know, as well. Someone should do it and have it up on www.queenpedia.com ......... but no, they are too busy editing the Paul Rodgers section.

What a sense of entitlement you have.  Nobody owes you a thing.  Stop trolling and wait patiently.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 14:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Britt wrote:

seeing as YOU suggested it, YOU do it...go on, contribute something other than criticism for a change

go deo na hÉireann
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11011 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Britt wrote:

No they shouldn't.  Having valuations up would be out of date by the time it was "finished", and would be subject to so many arguments (pffft, they think it's worth THAT?) that the whole site would lose credibility.

If you want to know, either

a) check eil.com & take off 20%
b) check ebay for COMPLETED LISTINGS to find out what sales have actually been completed
c) ask on here 

Penetration_Guru

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having subsequently spent an hour on ebay, I have come to the conclusion that nothing is worth anything anymore.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4676 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

Having subsequently spent an hour on ebay, I have come to the conclusion that nothing is worth anything anymore.

That's probably right. Unless it's something I want, then it suddenly becomes worth a small fortune, as hordes of people who had never even heard of it before, and who dont even like Queen, somehow sense I want it, and bid frantically until I'm out of the market.

Come to think of it, that's a bit unlikely. Forget I mentioned it.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

Yes, there is a lot of truth in there. In an age of downloads it no longer really matters whether a song is printed on white or blue vinyl. And the days of cover art are also gone....

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This site gives you some older ebay results: http://www.popsike.com/

Now...back to that Paul Rodgers section... [img=/images/smiley/msn/tounge_smile.gif][/img]

Penetration_Guru

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was depressing - New Dark Ages 12" for £60, IWIA Japanese 7" (real ones) £55, AKOM pic disc £10, Fan club mags £2.

The only things that are holding their values are one-off items.

Like the HTF Spanish sleeve (like the plain red one, but in white) £600

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 26 Mar 10, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

It was depressing - New Dark Ages 12" for £60, IWIA Japanese 7" (real ones) £55, AKOM pic disc £10, Fan club mags £2.

The only things that are holding their values are one-off items.

Like the HTF Spanish sleeve (like the plain red one, but in white) £600

In a certain way this is probably a move in the right direction. Cause many things have simply been overrated in the past. Promos for example are "free give aways" made by the record companies just - as the name says - made for promotion. Most of them are cheaply produced, they have no cover art or just contain the regular song. And yet some fans pay a fortune for it - believing that they own something rare or special. While the money for those "free giveaways" goes to people who have nothing to do with the production of those items. 
So the value of promos is debatable, there is no real existing value. Even if some people are willing to pay a little fortune for some promo.