Forums > Queen - General Discussion > *Freddie Mercury/Kurt Cobain/'One Vision'...*

forum rss feed
Author

EnglanE user not visiting Queenzone.com
Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE
Champion: 99 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Mar 10, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right. This has grabbed my attention for a long while now and simply won't let go, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to share this with all of you, to at least see if any of you have noticed it, as well!
When Freddie sings "One heeaarrrrrrrtttt" in the second verse of 'One Vision', it ALWAYS sounds to me like it's being sung by Kurt Cobain (who I also greatly admire/have adored since I was a teenager.) 
Has anyone else heard this similarity? I'm too tired to post back-to-back comparisons, but the best Nirvana song I can compare the 'heart' thing with is 'Spank Thru'. Especially live.

Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SOMEONE must know what I'm talking about, surely?! In the second line of 'One Vision' (not the second verse, sorry, I was extremely tired when I originally posted this topic!) when Freddie sings "One hearrrrrrtttt!" that "hearrrrttt" sounds JUST like Kurt Cobain, or if Kurt Cobain had sung it...

lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not really.  Kurt Cobain sucked.  That's just my opinion of him though.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cobain is the most overated muscian of all time,  couldn't sing, not a good guitarist either.  The answer to you're question is no!.....

Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not looking for your opinions of him. He clearly does sound like Cobain for that one word. Nevermind.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They sound identical right about now.

Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YES!! Oh, thank you, GratefulFan. I knew you'd come through with the goods, haha. I am SO glad someone else hears it, and even more glad it's you!  :)

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he's joking, because they are both dead.

At the moment it seems liek you're the only one who hears it, but someone else might share your opinion.

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kurt who ?

Master Marathon Runner
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EnglanE wrote:

Nevermind.

No pun intended? :-)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

emrabt wrote:

At the moment it seems liek you're the only one who hears it, but someone else might share your opinion.

OH. Haha. [img=/images/smiley/msn/embaressed_smile.gif][/img]

Me and my boyfriend are the only people that seem to hear it! There MUST be someone else... surely?

Freddie-loving Feline.
EnglanE

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

EnglanE wrote:

Nevermind.

No pun intended? :-)

It was very much intended... Haha! =)

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3664 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EnglanE wrote:

emrabt wrote:

OH. Haha. [img=/images/smiley/msn/embaressed_smile.gif][/img]

Me and my boyfriend are the only people that seem to hear it! There MUST be someone else... surely?

Kurt Cobain once sang "Load up on guns, bring your friends"

Yet, Queen had a song called 'Friends will Be Friends"

Spooky.......

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know Nirvana well enough to recognize an isolated sound  like that, but this thread did send me off to YouTube to listen to 'One Vision' when I almost certainly wouldn't have today.  So thanks for that little hit of Freddie EnglanE. :)

the dude 1366 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only reason Kurt Cobain is so popular is BECAUSE he blew his brains out. Had he lived, he would have faded into obscurity. Don't insult Freddie by comparing him to someone who sounded like he was having trouble taking a shit on stage into a microphone.

Queenfred user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfred
Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Dude wrote:

The only reason Kurt Cobain is so popular is BECAUSE he blew his brains out. Had he lived, he would have faded into obscurity. Don't insult Freddie by comparing him to someone who sounded like he was having trouble taking a shit on stage into a microphone.

One way you CAN compare them is by album sales. Nevermind has sold more copies than any one Queen album.
So, I don't think they (he) would have faded into obscurity somehow -spearheading a movement of music kind of gives you immortality. And rightly so.

Gentleman, you can't fight in here - this is The War Room!
gooddrills user not visiting Queenzone.com
gooddrills
Bohemian: 114 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll stand up for the late Kurt and say he was a very distinctive vocalist, great song writer and far from a shit guitarist. It all comes down to personal taste of course.
Nevermind isn't over rated, it's a classic, not a dud track on there.
Worlds apart from Freddie of course, couldn't be any more different.
I can't hear the similarity in the line from One Vision though, to get back to the original thread!

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenfred wrote:

The Dude wrote:

One way you CAN compare them is by album sales. Nevermind has sold more copies than any one Queen album.
So, I don't think they (he) would have faded into obscurity somehow -spearheading a movement of music kind of gives you immortality. And rightly so.

true, nevermind sold more records than any one queen album in the states, how about worldwide?...just curious.  also,  nirvana's music will never be considered as classic as Queen by musicians and adult music lovers. Kids maybe, but once all grown up most will agree that queen, the stones, the who and all those classic bands were on a higher level.   Even these days....the only people who consider nirvana great are either kids or the media/music critics.

Queenfred user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfred
Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

Queenfred wrote:

The Dude wrote:

true, nevermind sold more records than any one queen album in the states, how about worldwide?...just curious.  also,  nirvana's music will never be considered as classic as Queen by musicians and adult music lovers. Kids maybe, but once all grown up most will agree that queen, the stones, the who and all those classic bands were on a higher level.   Even these days....the only people who consider nirvana great are either kids or the media/music critics.

Yeah, worldwide -but I realise of course that album sales don't reflect talent (I always thought The Tea Party were destined to be the biggest band in the world, but...) 

Queen for me will always be the greatest band ever -but I think the whole Seattle scene was much needed to save us all from Genesis and Whitney Houston.

And Nevermind really was a cracker of an album I must say. Kurt was due to work with Michael Stipe around the time of his death. I can only guess at how amazing that could have been.
Might go listen to Bleach.

Gentleman, you can't fight in here - this is The War Room!
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am an adult. I still love Nirvana as much as I did when I was a teenager and I still listen to Bleach, Nevermind and In Utero from time to time.

But I hear NO similarity between Freddie and Kurt, sorry