Author

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Mar 10, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Specifically Flash Gordon.

I am amazed that you can still buy this album new.  Why is that?  Most soundtracks last for about a year and then they're gone forever.

Sure if it's a big movie, that changes things.  But compare Flash to other popular soundtracks by established bands and it's horrible.

Why aren't these soundtracks available anymore?

Dune - Music by Toto
The Keep - Music by Tangerine Dream
Tron - 2 songs from Journey
Highlander - (was there an OST album or just Magic?)

I see copies of the Dune & Keep soundtracks go for excess of $100 on ebay.  Those soundtracks were (musically) superior to Flash, yet there it is still on the e-shelves. 

What / Who determines when an album goes "out of print"?

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Record Companies choose when.

In the USA for now, the Flash Gordon soundtrack is still bought and ordered in through record stores. Wal-Mart, I hear, won't order in albums now, as a lot of them have switched to private distributers who only sell either the biggest selling albums, or compilations, when it comes to classic rockers. Hollywood Records doesn't like putting albums out of print, especially when Queen is a big money maker, and they know they'd lose in the long run if Queen left the label. Queen is one of those bands that people just don't rush out and buy the albums... thus is why their releases in the USA, though they don't make a big impact (such as making the top 20), they do sell pretty steadily throughout time. Plus, a lot of people buy Flash Gordon just because it's a Queen product, and they want it in their collection, and there's never a lack of new Queen fans.

I see Flash Gordon stocked at many record stores throughout New England. I was at Newbury Comics today, and they had Freddie Mercury's 'Lover Of Life, Singer Of Songs', there, as well as Flash Gordon. They also had a ton of Queen shit, and they also sell used CDs and new and used vinyl records. I might be selling off part of my collection of different CDs to them. They buy albums, singles... everything.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please, 'Flash Gordon' is not 'horrible'. It's a soundtrack which fits the film very well, so , job done.
Anyone remember the syncronised swimming team from the 1984 Los Angeles olympics  that did their 'set' to 'The Kiss' from F.G.?  I was amazed to hear Freddies 'Ooo  ooo  ooo ooo's' ringing out in the middle of the coverage and it fitted beautifully.
 Master Marathon Runner

Master Marathon Runner
sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 17:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

master marathon runner wrote:

Please, 'Flash Gordon' is not 'horrible'. It's a soundtrack which fits the film very well, so , job done.
Anyone remember the syncronised swimming team from the 1984 Los Angeles olympics  that did their 'set' to 'The Kiss' from F.G.?  I was amazed to hear Freddies 'Ooo  ooo  ooo ooo's' ringing out in the middle of the coverage and it fitted beautifully.
 Master Marathon Runner

would love to see a video of that!

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
mandocello user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Microwave, you're actually questioning why a movie soundtrack by Toto is no longer in print?!

Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

master marathon runner wrote:

Master Marathon Runner

The Kiss is my favorite song from the Flash Gordon album.

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 10, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Highlander' never had an official soundtrack release.  There are some boots that are a hodgepodge of the three movies, with symphonic and AKOM official releases (and 'New York') thrown in to make them seem 'special.  Don't waste your time or money.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blue Roses Unlimited wrote:

The Kiss is my favorite

Please don't let skip see this

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 12 Apr 10, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mandocello wrote: Microwave, you're actually questioning why a movie soundtrack by Toto is no longer in print?!

No, I was using them as an example of other band soundtracks.

But, now that you bring it up, let's break it down.

Point One

Steve Lukather is a better guitarist than Brian May.  Way more recordings of him both with Toto and others.  I don't see Larry Carlton asking Brian to join him on tour.  I don't know any bands that Brian May carried without actually being in the band (The Tubes).  Michael Jackson didn't (1) ask Brian to be his band for the Thriller album or (2) take his guitar work over Eddie Van Halen's.

Jeff Porcaro was a better drummer than Roger Taylor.  No explanation needed.  Everybody knows that.  Now, listen to Simon Phillips.  Toto has the best drummers.

David Paich is a hit machine.  Boz Scaggs knew this before Toto started recording their first album.  Queen didn't use much keyboard work, but Dave could play miles around Freddie.

I do give the edge to John Deacon, though. 

Freddie was obviously the best, but Bobby Kimball could hit his notes.  He couldn't command a crowd like Freddie could, but he can sure sing.  Besides Toto, he's in a band with Tony Kaye singing the hits of Toto and Yes.  That's some pretty demanding Lead Vocals.

Point Two

Dune and Flash are both Sci Fi movies.  These usually attract the dorks, who buy the costumes, laser guns, and yes, even the soundtracks.  Dune was waaaaaayyyyyy bigger than Flash.  Flash died in the sixties, but was revived in cheese form for the Flash Gordon movie.  It came out during the Star Wars trilogy.  Personally, I love Flash for the cheese factor.  I think it was done quite well.  I have a tough time sitting thru Dune.  There's a lot going on there.  And there's two more unreleased hours of footage that David Lynch is holding onto.  So I kinda consider these movies very parallel.  Dune's soundtrack has been out of print for 25 years!!!  I think the Legally Blonde 2 soundtrack had more shelf life!!!!

Posted: 13 Apr 10, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Microwave wrote:

{Point One Steve Lukather is a better guitarist than Brian
May.  Way more recordings of him both with Toto and others.  I don't
see Larry Carlton asking Brian to join him on tour.  I don't know any
bands that Brian May carried without actually being in the band (The
Tubes). 

Michael Jackson didn't (1) ask Brian to be his band for the
Thriller album or (2) take his guitar work over Eddie Van Halen's.
Jeff Porcaro was a better drummer than Roger Taylor.  No explanation
needed.  Everybody knows that.  Now, listen to Simon Phillips.  Toto
has the best drummers. David Paich is a hit machine.  Boz Scaggs
knew this before Toto started recording their first album.  Queen
didn't use much keyboard work, but Dave could play miles around Freddie.
I do give the edge to John Deacon, though. 
Freddie was obviously the best, but Bobby Kimball could hit his notes. 
He couldn't command a crowd like Freddie could, but he can sure sing. 
Besides Toto, he's in a band with Tony Kaye singing the hits of Toto
and Yes.  That's some pretty demanding Lead Vocals.}

I really hope you're kidding, but I have a feeling you're not.

You can dissect individual virtuosity all you want, but are you really comparing the band Queen to the band Toto? 

"David Paich is a hit machine."   So what exactly would Queen be compared to the almighty DP?

One of these bands were innovators and one wasn't.

One of these bands had a guitarist that you could identify with your ears instantly.

One of these bands had a lead vocalist that you could identify with your ears instantly.

One of these bands had songs  and entire albums  that stood out from everyone else.

I''ll leave it to you to figure it out.

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 15 Apr 10, 20:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"David Paich is a hit machine." So what exactly would Queen be compared to the almighty DP?

DAVID PAICH HAD MORE #1 HITS

One of these bands were innovators and one wasn't.

HMM, I THINK THEY BOTH ARE

One of these bands had a guitarist that you could identify with your ears instantly.

STEVE LUKATHER? YES I KNOW. I KNEW IT WAS HE WHEN I FIRST HEARD THE TUBES' SHE'S A BEAUTY... AND HE WASN'T EVEN PART OF THE BAND!!!

BRIAN'S GOT A VERY DISTINCT TONE AS WELL. BUT BRIAN USES HARMONIZERS AND DELAYS TO GET THAT SOUND. STEVE PLUGS INTO HIS AMP AND PLAYS.

One of these bands had a lead vocalist that you could identify with your ears instantly.

TOTO HAD THREE. BOBBY KIMBALL IS GREATNESS. DAVID PAICH WAS THE BARITONE, AS HEARD IN THE SONG AFRICA. JOSEPH WILLIAMS WAS THE HIGHEST PITCH OF ALL THREE. QUEEN ONLY HAD ONE LEAD VOCALIST. ANYONE WHO CALLS ROGER OR BRIAN A LEAD VOCALIST IS MERELY PITYING THEM. THEY CAN'T CARRY A BAND, LET ALONE A FULL ALBUM.

One of these bands had songs and entire albums that stood out from everyone else.

TOTO IV WAS PRETTY DARN GOOD. AFRICA, ROSANNA, I WON'T HOLD YOU BACK WERE ALL TOP TEN SINGLES. WHAT ALBUM DID QUEEN RELEASE THAT HAD THREE TOP TEN SINGLES ON IT?

TOTO'S FIRST ALBUM HAD TWO MAJOR HITS, GEORGY PORGY AND HOLD THE LINE. I DON'T BELIEVE QUEEN CRACKED THE TOP SINGLES LIST WITH THEIR FIRST (OR SECOND) ALBUM.

"I'll leave it to you to figure it out. "

I DO HAVE A LOT MORE QUEEN CDs THAN TOTO. YES, I LIKE QUEEN MORE, BUT MANY BANDS HAVE DIFFERENT THINGS TO OFFER.

I DOUBT THAT FLASH GORDON IS STILL IN PRINT BECAUSE "QUEEN IS THE BEST BAND IN THE WHOLE WORLD".

Posted: 15 Apr 10, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're using those angry, all caps responses.

Mr. Brooks?

Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 15 Apr 10, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

C'mon, guys, there's no need to yell in typing.

Mike Love, Not War!

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 16 Apr 10, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry guys. No, I wasn't yell-typing. Apparently the "QUOTE" function doesn't work anymore, so I was just typing my replies to your queries.

Still trying to figure out the original answer to the original topic. Wasn't trying to compare Queen to Toto or Tangerine Dream.

So far, the only answer I can ascertain is that Queen's Hollywood contract has kept Flash Gordon in print. Is that possible?  Someone said a band like Queen never goes out of print.  Actually, that's not true.  Hot Space (Elektra) went out of print prior to the Hollywood contract.

danwhite89 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Has anyone ever actually stuck the Flash Gordon soundtrack on and listened to it? I mean aye it's Queen and all that but it doesn't mean you have to like it. FG soundtrack sounds like the kind of thing Ross from Friends played during his ill-fated music career.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

danwhite89 wrote: Has anyone ever actually stuck the Flash Gordon soundtrack on and listened to it? I mean aye it's Queen and all that but it doesn't mean you have to like it. FG soundtrack sounds like the kind of thing Ross from Friends played during his ill-fated music career.

Yes I have.  I must admit that the first time I heard it, it sounded disjointed and the tracks were quite short, meaning that before it sinks in, the music is finished.

However, after watching the DVD of the movie, I appreciate the sound tracks better, especially the track Football Fight.  The sound effects in the music were in line with the action in the movie.  My conclusion was that the four of them were really very good and creative in composing those sound tracks.

So, once in a while, when I have finished my rounds of the albums, I will listen to the Flash Gordon sound track.

Pingfah user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 506 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 10, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is in print because it is an official Queen album, what more could one possibly need to know?

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 10, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:"Steve Lukather is a better guitarist than Brian May. Way more recordings of him both with Toto and others. I don't see Larry Carlton asking Brian to join him on tour. I don't know any bands that Brian May carried without actually being in the band (The Tubes). Michael Jackson didn't (1) ask Brian to be his band for the Thriller album or (2) take his guitar work over Eddie Van Halen's."

How does the number of recordings featuring Lukather make him a better guitarist than Brian. During his lifetime, Jimi Hendrix released just four original recordings, including three studio albums, except he's generally regarded as the greatest guitarist of all time. Brian's not having carried a group is also irrelevent. Queen arguably wasn't a guitar-based group, and that has nothing to do with Brian's talents a a guitarist. Plus, if you look at guitarists who have carried groups on their own; Eddie Van Halen, for example, well I think that Brian is better. Finally, what does Michael Jackson have to do with it? He also didn't ask Carlos Santana, Frank Zappa, Jeff Beck (for Thriller that is), Eric Clapton, David Gilmour etc... The fact the he didn't ask Brian is irrelevent. I hate to tell you, but you can't measure the quality of a guitarist simply by whether they worked with this person or not. Should we dismiss Beck because he never worked with Freddie? You also mention Larry Carlton, well, again, considering that Carlton (not a huge fan) hasn't worked with plenty of great guitarists, that doesn't mean much. Even if he and/or Michael Jackson did work with every great guitarist, save for Brian, I don't think that you can really determine the talent of a musician by whom they worked with.

Anyway, I think that Brian is a vastly superior guitarist to Lukather, and I don't think that the reasons you provided are all that convincing.

Posted: 21 Apr 10, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Microwave is also pretty ignorant about what he thinks Lukather and Brian use to get their sounds.

Saying that Lukather "plugs straight into the amp" is incredibly incorrect.  Steve Lukather was probably Bob Bradshaw's favorite customer in the 1980's - I'm assuming the Micro Man knows who Mr. Bradshaw is, of course.

Then he believes hat Brian only has a unique sound due to delays and harmonizers. Jeez, watch the damn Star Licks video, would you?

ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 873 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 10, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

danwhite89 wrote: Has anyone ever actually stuck the Flash Gordon soundtrack on and listened to it? I mean aye it's Queen and all that but it doesn't mean you have to like it. FG soundtrack sounds like the kind of thing Ross from Friends played during his ill-fated music career.
Yes I have, many times. "The Hero" was a favorite at one point of time and the whole had a novelty factor to it, for me. Its beeb a while though. And I don't see myself listening to it any time soon.