Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Question for long term Queen fans from the 70's

forum rss feed
Author

freddiefan91 user not visiting Queenzone.com
freddiefan91
Bohemian: 399 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 04:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How did you feel when Freddie changed his appearance from his 70's look to the moustached look

I liked him anyhow!!!

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 05:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I became a fan in the late 80's (or was it early 90's ? ), but I strongly prefer his 80's look. He looked more like a rock star :-)

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 05:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Change was always part of the game for 60s and 70s bands. The next album had to be different...the look had to change...just think of Bowie
The Beatles were the role models for this eternal change. So Freddies' changes concerning clothes and his look was no way shocking. I found John Deacons changes much more extreme.

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looking back on pictures and videos  of freddie from the 70's and then the 80's its almost like 2 diferent people but i do prefer the 80's freddie

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Interview? Oh don't be ridiculous

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I preferred it when Fred, David Bowie and Bryan Ferry were going through they Nazi fetish, and Fred shaved his to look like Hitler:

http://graphikdesigns.free.fr/rmi-electra-piano/rmi-electra-piano-sparks.jpg

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

his 2000s look is by far the best.....

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thought Freddie looked at his best around the Jazz stage. Didn't think that long hair really suited him.However good to see that Brian's hair changed over the years!!! Roger looked great with long hair !! What was John thinking with that Bubble perm!!!

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been a fan since 1977 so I was used to seeing him without the "stache" at that point. But when I first bought the Play The Game single and then the promo on tv in mid 1980 and that very first shot of him, I'll admit that I was quite shocked. At that time I was hoping he would shave it off, and Roger and John would grow their hair long again.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 10, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz 78 wrote:

I've been a fan since 1977 so I was used to seeing him without the "stache" at that point. But when I first bought the Play The Game single and then the promo on tv in mid 1980 and that very first shot of him, I'll admit that I was quite shocked. At that time I was hoping he would shave it off, and Roger and John would grow their hair long again.

were you one of those youngsters that threw razors on stage so freddie would shave the stache?...  not a fan favorite in 1980 became his most loved look over time.  he looked the most like himself from 73 to 76 and then 80 to 86....In the late 70's he had the short hair and clean shaved look that didn't fit him,  and the late 80's showed a boring middle aged freddie wearing a suit and tie. Which would have looked good as a business man, but rock star freddie?....

skip user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didn't care what he looked like.  Wasn't happy with the change in musical direction (funk/dance shit).

Brian May: "I like KISS a lot. I have a great regard for KISS 'cause it's all-out. They just had their vision, they had their dream, and they damn well went for it."

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddiefan91 wrote:

How did you feel when Freddie changed his appearance from his 70's look to the moustached look

I liked him anyhow!!!

I wasn't alive at the time, but my mother, who isn't even a Queen fan, thought Freddie became the sexiest of the bunch.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
USQUEENFAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 23 Mar 10, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well to be quite honest  with you all i was kinda worried because one being a queen nutcase in america the land of the narrowminded, all the headbangers always made fun of freddies appearence from his leotards to his short shorts to the moustache that resembled the stereotypical gay male. Actually by the time the lp The Game came out the album cover pic was taken in fall 79 probably during the crazy little thing called love video shoot so no one had a clue about the moustache until either the play the game video of another one bites the dust video
  after that epic year of 80 queens status here in the states kinda sputtered and plunged. My personal opinion if they would of toured the states in 84 for The Works im certain they would of reclaimed what was somewhat lost from 82
  actually i think freddie looked best in the video for I Want It All in 89 the beard and attire he wore really turned a lot of heads and all but sadly now we know why he grew the beard.
anyways thats my feelings about the moustache freddie will always be freddie with the moustache white tank top tight jeans and that stud band around his bicep when he showed one and all that nobody could command an audience of over 60k before or ever since

The Thinker user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Thinker
Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although at the time I didn’t like it and ever since his significant encore with “Don’t Stop Me Now” and the don of the Jean-Paul Gaultier leathers, Brando cap with the Mineshaft t shirt, was a significant change in direction.  Later influenced mainly by the club scene came the iconic moustache, it was just prevalent early eighties fashion. In real time he only had the moustache from say 1980 to 1987. I often see it as an aging process for Freddie. Image, fashion and music must progress and keep moving forward so on reflection it left a great legacy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6051786/Queens-Freddie-Mercury-wins-top-spot-in-celebrity-moustache-poll.html

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably the first time any of us at the time saw the tash was on the inside cover of The Game album, until then I don't think it had been seen, certainly that was the first Itime I saw it when the album was released.

I laughed a lot at the time, but like everything you get used to it in time, it was very obvious at the time why he had done it, they were all the rage in the gay club scene after The Village people (which is why he grew it)

I think caused a ripple of laughter around at the time but by then people were well used to Freddie doing that

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Probably the first time any of us at the time saw the tash was on the inside cover of The Game album, until then I don't think it had been seen, certainly that was the first Itime I saw it when the album was released.

I laughed a lot at the time, but like everything you get used to it in time, it was very obvious at the time why he had done it, they were all the rage in the gay club scene after The Village people (which is why he grew it)

I think caused a ripple of laughter around at the time but by then people were well used to Freddie doing that

Are we 100% sure he grew the stache because of the gay thing, or was part of it because he felt insecure about his teeth?...I heard a few different reasons why he grew the stache.  Not that i really care.  but still.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From what I read here, I should probably shave my moustache

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

the thing is that the eighties was a popular time for the stache, not just gay men.  almost everyone i knew back in the day had that black stache thing going.  the tom selleck, burt reynolds, kieth hernandez look.  Very popular for the straight 80's man.  That's why i'm not sold on that freddie "gay look" thing.  Shit,  my father had one, brother. uncles. cousins.  All straight i might add, lol.  But freddie had the "gay look"   I don't know.  obviously it must have been even more popular for gay's since everyone keeps saying it's the gay look. 

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

pittrek wrote:

the thing is that the eighties was a popular time for the stache, not just gay men.  almost everyone i knew back in the day had that black stache thing going.  the tom selleck, burt reynolds, kieth hernandez look.  Very popular for the straight 80's man.  That's why i'm not sold on that freddie "gay look" thing.  Shit,  my father had one, brother. uncles. cousins.  All straight i might add, lol.  But freddie had the "gay look"   I don't know.  obviously it must have been even more popular for gay's since everyone keeps saying it's the gay look. 

But all those celebrities you listed are gay! :)

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
USQUEENFAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as for the gay look burt tom keith and all we all know hollywood is loaded with gay personalities
(not that there is anything wrong with it) no pun intended for keith hernandez
but in the eighties remember that music was catagorized new wave punk had its own radio station as top forty oldies
classic rock wasnt really defined until the late 80s early 90s and in the 80s was full of the so called macho heterosexual head bangers if you could turn back time to 82 and tell a rabid judas priest fan that rob halford was gay hed run his harley over you

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 10, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

pittrek wrote:

It was a very big thing with the police to have a mustache in those days.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"