Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Question about De Lane Lea & BBC Session 2 Bootlegs

forum rss feed
Author

Adam Unger (QueenVault.com) user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Unger (QueenVault.com)
Bohemian: 347 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 10, 02:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Opinions needed please... which bootlegs have the best sounding versions of the De Lane Lea demos and the BBC Session 2 recordings?  Thanks in advance.

QueenVault.com

Updated October 2, 2016
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 26 Mar 10, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've heard many of the bootlegs, but none of them sounds as good as one circulating non-bootlegged tape

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 26 Mar 10, 05:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They all have their faults. Many play at false speed. And even those, that have a lot of hiss may be better than those that went through some overdone noisereduction or bad mastering. 

Whatever you find or buy you will have to work on it a bit to get closer to what the band really sounded like.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 27 Mar 10, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Confession: I own the best versions of both the De Lane Lea and the BBC sessions (Inside or outside the Queen vaults) and they exist in their original raw (not sonically corrupted) master-tape (not degenerated copies) form.
This is not carrot dangling - but fact.

They may be uploaded here under the following conditions:

First:
I do not upload them - I would not know how - and I would not accept the respnsibility of taking on Queen PLC.
If some brave proxy wanted to take that role upon themselves - that would be their decission - not mine.

Second:
They were not devalued in anyway. (ie musically equalised, MP3'd, traded or ended up on ebay).

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
pittrek

Posted: 27 Mar 10, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Confession: I own the best versions of both the De Lane Lea and the BBC sessions (Inside or outside the Queen vaults) and they exist in their original raw (not sonically corrupted) master-tape (not degenerated copies) form.

They may be uploaded here under the following conditions:

First:
I do not upload them - I would not know how - and I would not accept the respnsibility of taking on Queen PLC.
If some brave proxy wanted to take that role upon themselves - that would be their decission - not mine.

Second:
They were not devalued in anyway. (ie musically equalised, MP3'd, traded or ended up on ebay).

I offer my services and the risks :-)

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 27 Mar 10, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:
I offer my services and the risks :-)

Send me a PM with your details.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Posted: 27 Mar 10, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's very nice of you John to share these recordings.

I have 200kbs upload and would be glad to assist seeding a torrent, pm me.

Thanks again.

Arse.

GinjaNinja user not visiting Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 27 Mar 10, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you John.

In other threads we have people complaining about you not sharing one track, but here you are willing to share many here with us all.

If there is any way I can assist with the uploading of these files, I'd love to.

Property Of Queen Productions...
Jam Monkey user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jam Monkey
Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 10, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is excellent news. It would be great to hear these tracks is good quality.

In the sprit of sharing I have some lossless demos that are far greater in quality to the commonly shared versions on YouTube and alike. I will upload these soon.

Contact me, I'm no Darth Vader: jam_monkey@hotmail.com
Benn Kempster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 10, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You see, this is the type of gesture made by someone with a genuine feeling for the collecting community.

Were that it could be the same from officialdom.

Thank you John.

pete66 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 10, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks John and everyone else here who shares there Queen stuff .. I have to say Ive got to hear so many great Queen tracks because of the genorosity of you guys. I think i would have lost intrest in Queen long ago if I waited for anything of intrest to come officialy... so many thanks again

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 10, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, this is excellent news!

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 10, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

So far, all the De Lane Lea demos currently available are taken from a CD produced in 1994 by a Dutch fan (I'm not naming him) from a reel-reel tape he owns or owned. He apparantly had permission from Jim Beach to release them because he loaned that tape to QPL.
Therefore, this CD would be the best 'available' version of those demos as it's the original source and because nobody  knows whether subsequent CD releases taken from this disc were done digitally or analogue (it was 1994).
Whether this tape is the same generation or not as John's, only John would be able to tell... :)

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 10, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you talking about the In The Beginning bootleg? If so, there's no chance that's sourced from any kind of master. And there's also no chance Jim Beach would allow someone to press up a bootleg of anything to sell. When referring to those demos, didn't Brian once comment on a potential new technology that could extract the wave forms from vinyl or acetate without playing it and not picking up surface noise - therefore suggesting they don't have the masters for the recordings.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 10, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope John won't mind me saying that I was lucky enough to hear his versions of some of those BBC tracks, and they piss all over any other version I've ever heard.

Especially Spread Your Wings, which is just immense.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 10, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

Are you talking about the In The Beginning bootleg? If so, there's no chance that's sourced from any kind of master. And there's also no chance Jim Beach would allow someone to press up a bootleg of anything to sell. When referring to those demos, didn't Brian once comment on a potential new technology that could extract the wave forms from vinyl or acetate without playing it and not picking up surface noise - therefore suggesting they don't have the masters for the recordings.

Yes, that's the one.
I can only go on information I'm told about the tape/CD and the story that goes with it - not only from the Dutch guy himself but from other Queen collectors.
It's certainly an infinately better sounding version than the one i first got centuries ago on a bootleg compilation, the name of which escapes me - maybe unobtaianable vol1 or unreleased vol1? It had "Cool Cat" on it and also a ton of live performances including "Imagine" & "Saturday Night's Alrighht For Figting".

There's undoubtedly an awful lot of misinformation out there that has been bandied about for decades that needs clearing up, and the one good thing about the internet is that the ease of modern communication if helping to clear all this up. If my statements are incorrect, please correct them!

The technology Brian talked about would no doubt be the laser record player the japanese invented back in the early 90's (they are still made - improved upon obviously, and about $5000 US!) and whatever software they had.
Such a pity that laser record player never took off and was effectively killed by CD :(

pittrek

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

I hope John won't mind me saying that I was lucky enough to hear his versions of some of those BBC tracks, and they piss all over any other version I've ever heard.

Oh, that's really great. Session 6 is just an absolute must for listening, so it will be great to hear it in best available quality

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This will be a great moment in the history of this community! Thank you very much, John:-)

I do not want any google ads here.

pittrek

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

This will be a great moment in the history of this community! Thank you very much, John:-)

I hope it CAN be shared here :-) (without the first and third session)

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

Stop it, you're turning me on ;-P

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus