Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 2010 Convention Report

forum rss feed
Author

Hutchence user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hutchence
Bohemian: 110 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Could someone please write down what's been happening over the past weekend at the Queen Convention- the Greg Brooks part & other bits and pieces...
Thank you !

I took a voyage

over deep blue sea...

Michael Hutchence
gordonl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't post much on Queen Zone for a reason . . .
If you've a genuine interest, PLEASE join the fan club - we get access to a site where the usual QZ trolls don't bother us and people and kind and helpful.  It's rather liberating.
The convention was fabulous - go if you have the chance, some real special moments.
Greg once again proved in person that he is actually a nice chap - and the 'Archivist' that pops up here (if it is even Greg) is just him having fun with the trolls - the stuff he showed us at the convention was truly magnificent.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blimey, that's a turn around - the last time I went his stuff was increasingly banal (understandable after 10 years playing stuff that the well of "yes, you can play that" material may well have run dry, so this is not a criticism of Greg).

Penetration_Guru

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, and I don't go to the conventions because

1. Far less of the people I used to associate with still go.
1b. The people who DO go, with whom I'd happily associate, are significantly younger than me and less inclined to reciprocate.

2. The standard of the accommodation declined past the point at which I was willing to accept i even for the short periods I was in said accommodation.

However, I did go to 20 first, so if it's OK with you can I take an interest in any new information that came to light over the weekend without being called a troll?  For fuck's sake, the OP wasn't asking  for an upload of HD video of all convention activity, it was just a general "what went on?"  You could have used it as an oportunity to sell the brilliance of the convention experience using examples, instead of coming across as patronising and snooty.

If you want to have a discussion about the merits of being in the fan club, I'm happy to have that with you too.  However you seem unlikely to want to do that here, and I doubt if you'd get both sides of the argument on the OIQFC forum (understandably - not a criticism).

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont care if one is going or not... i am interested in what was shown.. and what we can expect...

It is now 2 years after the release of the multitracks, i am looking forward to something new.

So.... What was so gr8 overthere??

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm always cautious about posting here, since it seems to turn to agro, but as you're being nice :)
I also didn't want to spill too many beans as I wasn't sure what was hush/just non-film-able.
Jacky's posted some stuff on the fan club site now.  To answer the questions most of you would want:
We had some rushes/out-takes/alternates whatever of early vids (Liar/KYA if i recall) and some great stuff from vid shoots (Game mostly) - some great stuff of Fred, mix of tearful and hilarious, sweet.  Greg and co have been transferring film from the archive to digital and there is apparently a decent amount of stuff - no mention of a release though, but the bits we saw (half hour or so) would be great for DVD extras.  I got the feeling that most Queen product is on hold till the new/renewed EMI contract is sorted.  Greg was honest that he didn't know/couldn't say much about release - he does the archives, but he is definitely a fan.
Live stuff - there were more knowledgeable people in the audience who will no doubt post in near future about what was said (quality, what is there/lost), but nothing alarmingly exciting.
Only new things this year not yet announced would be probably Hammy 75 and the I Want It All book from what I heard.  Rog has been working hard too, so I think we'll see more this year.  Both Bri and Rog talked about various Foo's at length.  No specifics apart from the Kerry Ellis stuff.
Great atmosphere at the convention, and the Vauxhall park was quite good really, I'll definitely do again.  Good bit of emotion from Kash Cooke, who was charming, and Phoebe was on top form as usual, and a pleasure to chat too.  I got the feeling that either the fan club is back on top form or we were getting special treatment for the 25th - Bri and Rog's messages over the weekend must have run to two hours or so.
And yes, its worth joining the fan club!  I thought it might wane post-internet, but its still going strong and it' s worth being a member for advance warning, tours, news and specials like the convention - for the cash its a bargain I think.  The forums are great as well, as I've alluded to - and we're not all 'geek' uber-fans - I'm more a live music fan/collector for instance.
In sum - join the fan club and go to conventions - you won't regret it!  A good spread of ages - some who've been to all conventions to kids.  It was packed.
Happy to chat more, but I don't want to release anything startling that Jacky hasn't written or anything that hasn't popped up on net (QOL have more detail) because I don't want to get QP's backs up - I know we were privileged to see what we got at the convention, and I'd like to get the same next year!  So I'm not being narky, just cautious, hope that's ok.

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh and Queen Kings (German tribute) were spectacular, did a great set of mainly 70's stuff, so not your usual Wembley fare.  Highlight was a Barcelona mini-set with a fabulous opera singer (whose name I can't remember) - spectacular and really emotional.  Barcelona/Guide Me Home/Golden Boy were magnificent live and a shame we never got them out of Fred.  If you get the chance - go see them - they dwarf other tribute bands.

PrincessofTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks gordoni.

Did you get a chance to hear RT's new song? I'm curious to hear it and wondering when he'll officially release something.

Kathleen

theCro user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 20:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nice!
did they play any NEW (unheard for general public) alternative/demo extracts or something like that?

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 02:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, there was a new Roger song.  It's probably called 'Smile' at a guess, and though I'd had too much 'convention water', I remember it being sounding a bit like 'Happiness', quite slow yet with a good vibe to it, classic Rog.  Not in the same style as 'Everything is Broken'.  I'll try and think more about the song - but it was a packed weekend!  It is a good one, though - will be great.
I think Rog, taking everything he said together, will probably try and release a solo 'greatest hits' with a few new tracks; however he seems to have the bug back, and with the Foo collaboration seemingly being so strong, I wouldn't rule out an original album either - possibly this year.  He did talk about 'box sets', including video, but I don't think there is much hope in the foreseeable.
Regards new Queen stuff - other than what is available on boots round the bazaars, everything that Greg played was videos played to backing studio tracks I think, no new stuff, though there were hints of an 'unknown' live show - nothing more.  Rog or Brian, can't remember which or if it was both, were asked about more 'Made In Heaven' style remakes of unreleased Fred tracks, but I got the impression there is nothing more, or what is left is too short/poor to 'Queen' up - ie there is more padding to do than say on Let Me Live.  Kerry Ellis' album of course features lots of Brian (and Rog/Taylor H/Rufus), and there is lots of new guitar - check out the EPK if you have not (via QOL) - Bri was very complimentary of Rufus!

Hutchence user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hutchence
Bohemian: 110 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, gordonl...!

I took a voyage

over deep blue sea...

Michael Hutchence
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 10:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gordon

"though there were hints of an unknown live show"

Do you know some more about that? Audio or video? What era? What kind of hints were there then?

Thanks for the report!

on my way up

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, nothing more.  Greg was very cagey.  Based on the other stuff we saw, I'd guess a 70's show that was filmed (as opposed to for TV).  It was a surprise to him that it existed, so I can only imagine it is not one of the 'known' filmed shows.  I'd guess a Crazy show, possibly Day at the Races or News of the World - but wouldn't put money on it!  The Houston stuff I've seen is quite bad quality (in the DVD world), so I doubt it's that.
Of note the quality of the filmed (as in celluloid) stuff was stunning, bright and clean with glowing colours - magnificent for the Bluray I think.  It was mentioned that there are few shows worthy of HD due to the filming quality (Montreal/Budapest?), with shows like Wembley being as good as they could be on DVD already - but that's my reading between the lines of Greg's words, not quoting him.
Nothing more than that I'm afraid.

Penetration_Guru

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the extra detail.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, I wonder what the recently found filmed concert is. On the Dutch Queenforum a Dutch fan who visited the convention was talking about a fall/late 1976 gig... But as far as I know there were only 2 or 3 rehearsalgigs for Hyde Park, seems very unlikely that one of those was filmed....?

Snefru user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi

Greg told us that the next DVD will probably be Hammersmith 75. The BBC removed 2 songs on the broadcast. These will be put back for DVD release, but he couldn't confirm any releaseing date/time.
Budapest 86 will might be released, since they can do a blue ray release, but some camera takes need to be collected. Q prod. work with it, but again no releaseing time. Might take a time (some years) with thisone.

Have in mind that Greg work in the archives, NOT in Q. Prod group who makes final decision what's the next release will be.
So stop complain him for things not are released yet.

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think it will be a Hyde Park show - as I believe these exist in the archive and wouldn't be a surprise to Greg.
The Queen Kings Barcelona mini-set I mentioned as being fab - Guide Me Home is on youtube now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U669rkD5rCo gives you an idea of what it sounded like!

neokaden user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 97 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 10, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It could be a crazy concert tour? as I have understood that recorded clip Save Me for professional cameras, and perfectly able to have recorded the entire concert (liverpool?, Newcastle?, Bristol?)

Although it is only speculation, but can not find another concert that can be released on bluray (Hammersmith 1979 has terrible audio quality, and to say Houston 1977 Earls Court 1977)

PS: If so, would explain the "Carry On" by Freddie in bohemian rhapsody at the Newcastle concert

The best live version of bohemian rhapsody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEKlXgEGOA
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 10, 01:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Long John Silver wrote:

BBC removed 2 songs on the broadcast. These will be put back for DVD release

Really ? That's the direct opposite of what brian's wig wrote ?

COMING BACK ON TOPIC.....!!!!

Greg Brooks confirmed at
convention this weekend that it was "imminent".
It was delayed
because of plans to include a documentary which has since fallen
through.
He also confirmed that there is NO video footage recorded
by the BBC after transmission ceased :(

Posted: 01 Apr 10, 03:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm no pro on the live show detail - but I believe that the BBC cut two songs (Ogre Battle and I think White or Black Queen) before transmissions - these are the ones going back in.  As is known, the encore (7 Seas/See What A Fool) was not filmed, which is probably what the poster refers to.