Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian and Kerry Ellis EPK

forum rss feed
Author

Queenzone Ghost user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 395 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A new EPK for the forthcoming Kerry Ellis album ‘Anthems’ has been uploaded to You Tube. The seven minute piece features Kerry and Brian talking about the album, plus several performances of tracks.

The album is set for a September release.

For more information go to www.kerryellis.co.uk

Source: http://www.queenonline.com/news/1663/

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listened with an open mind and gotta say that was some trite bullshit music right there, and a waste of some lovely guitar noises.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is this a Brian + Anita sort of thing, again? Haha.

Just wait for the rumours!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
GratefulFan

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ I had those thoughts but chased them out of my head as mean and uncharitable.

Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote:

^ I had those thoughts but chased them out of my head as mean and uncharitable.

Though I shouldn't be, I'm kind of worried for all involved parties. I just read through old clippings and all about the Anita Dobson album, with Brian and Anita denying the rumours and all, and then it turned out to be totally true. Then the fact, that Brian had an affair with another women who worked for him in '99... ah, it's kind of scary!

andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he's having it off with her in the assholes!

PrincessofTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 10, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to say I wasn't terribly impressed either. Kerry Ellis seems to have a stage voice, not a recording voice and the song choices were odd at best.

Word is that RT is working with Hannah Jane Fox on her album too (she played Scaramouche in We Will Rock You). You can listen to it at this website (http://music.hannahjanefox.com/album/you-got-people). I've listened to Wheel on Water and Jarvis (track on which RT plays drums) and both are exponentially better than what I've heard of Kerry Ellis.

I won't comment on the above posts re: rumors. [img=/images/smiley/msn/omg_smile.gif][/img]

Kathleen

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PrincessofTaylor wrote:

Word is that RT is working with Hannah Jane Fox on her album too (she played Scaramouche in We Will Rock You). You can listen to it at this website (http://music.hannahjanefox.com/album/you-got-people). I've listened to Wheel on Water and Jarvis (track on which RT plays drums) and both are exponentially better than what I've heard of Kerry Ellis.

agree !!

RT, at least imo, usually dares going in search of fresh musical directions. On the BM side, it´s always nice listening to new sounds from the RS but ... yeah, he´s become predictable. 

re the rumours .... hehehe .... I guess all of us had the same feeling when watching the EPK with Kerry Ellis: "Anita, Anita, be careful ..." [img=/images/smiley/msn/broken_heart.gif][/img]

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hate to say it but there's probably some hard sex going on behind the scenes there.  We all know what Brian likes.  She'd just be another notch in his barrel I'm afraid, alongside the Back to the Light backup singers and that girl who posed with the Baby Blue Red Special.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's amazing how some people just can't be pleased.

"Queen should get back together"
Then Queen get back together.

"I don't like the singer they picked because.."
So they go to the show to see for themselves.

"The setlists are predictable"
Even though the setlists were more varied than almost every Queen tour of the past.

"Brian isn't making much music anymore"
Then Brian makes music.

"Same old Brian"
As opposed to a new Brian who doesn't have his trademark sound..

If I may put in my two cents... the riff starting at 4:13 is just rocking.  If that's one of the songs Brian wrote, then that's the best riff he's come up with in years.  His playing sounds fresh and vibrant overall.   Yes, Kerry has a very Broadway-sounding voice, but I always like it when people from different backgrounds join forces to create something new.  Good on them.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
PrincessofTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nobody seems to be criticizing Brian for his choice to work with Kerry - it's just the end product that I'm not too impressed with. The guitar on the EPK sounds great, but there are a lot more elements in a song than just guitars.

Personally I'm thrilled that Brian is doing something music related. With all his talk about badgers and fox hunting recently, I'd worried that it was time to put him out to pasture...literally.

Kathleen

GratefulFan

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Even though the setlists were more varied than almost every Queen tour of the past.

Then Brian makes music.

"Same old Brian"

?

Not relevant to the thoughts expressed in this thread as far as I can see.  I love Brian May and all have all the respect in the world for him in the countless areas where respect is due, but I don't owe him my sycophantic love for his every creative flutter.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote:

Not relevant to the thoughts expressed in this thread as far as I can see.

The last two points are.  I'm just doing a commentary on the fact that there are people who condemn any Queen or Brian-related project to the point that it's almost funny because they're the same people who are complaining about the boys not being busy enough to the degree that they, the fans, would like them to be.  And once they get busy, they find something else to complain about.

I love Brian May and all have all the respect in the world for him in the countless areas where respect is due, but I don't owe him my sycophantic love for his every creative flutter.

Of course not.  Nobody does.  And I definitely wasn't singling you out.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
GratefulFan

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PrincessofTaylor wrote:

I have to say I wasn't terribly impressed either. Kerry Ellis seems to have a stage voice, not a recording voice and the song choices were odd at best.

I won't comment on the above posts re: rumors. [img=/images/smiley/msn/omg_smile.gif][/img]

Kathleen

Thanks for that link and the info.  You're right - definitely much more of a credible sound.  Kerry has a strong, beautiful voice and a great tone but it's very, very theatre and very, very not my thing. She's not a rock chick in any way (sorry Brian). I just don't think that theatre vibe works well in these fusion projects.   Punk fiddlers work. Metal bagpipers work.  This doesn't work.  And those songs/lyrics? Don't even.

That all said, this album is likely to please many.  Kerry has hordes of fans, and as Sir GH noted many will appreciate the fine guitar work.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds quite good and Brian obviously put a lot of hard work into this, which is great! However, I do think it's kind of sad that Brian put a lot of time and effort in this recording, while he apparently didn't contribute a lot for Cosmos Rocks and there were rumours that Brian didn't want to waste time on rehearsing new songs etc.

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, and I really hope that she gets to play Brian's purple special, why otherwise produce a whole album for a musicalstar!?

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 10, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Then Brian makes music.

"Same old Brian"

If I may put in my two cents... the riff starting at 4:13 is just rocking.  If that's one of the songs Brian wrote, then that's the best riff he's come up with in years.  His playing sounds fresh and vibrant overall.   Yes, Kerry has a very Broadway-sounding voice, but I always like it when people from different backgrounds join forces to create something new.  Good on them.

Was thinking that too. Very tasty. Having said that. Kerry Ellis is not a rock chick and I dont see anything special in her voice that really suits that genre. Compare her with Amy Lee for example. No doubt Kerry could do more consistant perfomances, hit all the notes more often etc., but Amy's got the mojo. Horses for courses, and all that. Still better than TCR though ;) 

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 719 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 10, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like the riff at 4:13, it just strikes me as MOR music.  And that's the thing, for some people, that's fine and Brian's involvement lends credibility and will attract Queen fans, but (and while realizing it's not the 70s), if Brian had songs like this from the Queen album to Jazz he'd probably be asked to join Sparks.  Great guitar playing on a mediocre song makes for a mediocre song with great guitar playing.  Nothing interesting, could be any song from any person, could never say that about Queen music, but I agree, double edged sword.  A guy writes more great songs than 99% of any one who ever lived, and we cut him no slack on new stuff.  Why?  Because he's written more great songs than 99% of anyone who ever lived, and this doesn't match those songs.

Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 02 Apr 10, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

C'mon, does anything think Brian gave Kerry the bone, yet? Does he make her sweat?

Posted: 02 Apr 10, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like I said, I hope she played a solo on Brian's purple special :D