Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian or Roger?

forum rss feed
Author

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Apr 10, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pretend for a moment that both Roger and Brian have put together solo shows and you get to have front row seats and personal back stage access to both at a fantastic venue. The catch is you can only go to one of the shows.  You don't know what material will be played, or who might be along as a guest or guests (maybe Brian would invite Roger, or vice versa!) or anything other than where to go and when to show up.  You only know what you know of their past work and the Queen catalogue and their current artistic interests and instincts.  Which one would you choose, and, if you like, why?

It would be a very, very difficult choice for me.  In Brian's favour is that guitar - I'd so desperately love to hear that guitar in person. Also the fact that he tends to invoke Freddie more in his communication, which some feel cynical about, but I'm still a sucker for. And when I got the chance to talk to him for a while back stage, well he's just so fiercely intelligent that I think it would be a genuine joy and privilege.

But, but....his voice is thin and most impactful when used sparingly throughout a show.  And I'd be afraid he'd bring Kerry Ellis or somebody like that and I'd just end up standing there wishing I was at Roger's concert.  The  possibility of maybe hearing 'I'm in Love with my Car' or 'Tenement Funster' would be, I think, impossible for me to pass up given the doubts I'd have about Brian's current interests being in line with my taste.  And Roger's voice has always been a great rock and roll voice. So, with a great deal of trepidation about missing Brian's show, I'm going to Roger's concert.  I think. Sigh.

PrincessofTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 10, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd choose Roger. It wouldn't even be a contest.

Roger has been my favorite member of the band since I first saw the Montreal '81 show. During Under Pressure, I commented on how they must have had a backing track of David Bowie's vocals, then I realized it was Roger singing and simultaneously playing drums. I was absolutely astonished.

I have three of his solo albums (everything but Fun in Space) and think they are all great. I don't have any of Brian's so I wouldn't know any solo songs on that setlist. I'd basically know all of Roger's solo songs. I also think Roger's voice is just wonderful and has improved over the years. His vocals at Band de Lac and during the accoustic portions of the 2008 tour were just lovely. Roger also enjoys touring so much more so I'd know that it would be a good show - he's put 110% of himself into it (not to say that Brian wouldn't but his interests appear to lie far outside of music these days). I know that it would be a truly great show (with some awesome guests, no doubt).

Unfortunately as completely thrilling as the show itself would be, I'd probably do/say something stupid or throw up all over him once I got backstage. I do not do well meeting celebrities (I won't recount my experience meeting Andrew McCarthy here, but needless to say, it was embarassing...for both of us!) I'd be willing to try to hold it together for a chance to meet Roger though!

Fun question, Grateful! I'm interested to see everyone else's answers!

Kathleen

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 10, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd pick Roger. They're both fantastic singers but IMO Rog's a bit better. Moreover, I think Dr May would spend several minutes preaching about animal welfare (which is a great cause and a very important matter, but that's a concert not a conference), while Rog would stick to the music. Plus, if he brings Treana Morris it's a huge plus. Brian's solo band lost its heart and soul when Cozy died. Plus I've never been too fond of Spike and I suppose he'd be with Brian instead of Rog. Mike Crossley, OTOH, is brill.

In terms of visual show, it's also nice to see Rog playing guitar for a change. As you can see in my website, I love those castling/relaying occasions. If Brian played other instruments in his solo concert (e.g. piano, drums, koto), perhaps I'd reconsider, but otherwise the feeling of an uncharacteristic situation plus the other reasons listed (Mike vs Spike, no more Cozy, their vocal abilities, preaching) are more than enough for me to go with the blondrummer.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 10, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Boy that would be a hard one. I've seen Brian live once already as a solo-artist, so I'd pick Roger just for that reason alone. I just wish he wouldn't perform with the crappy SAS Band and get his 1994 or 1999 band back together - they were quite good. Such a shame that he never used Interlude In Constantinople as the intro of his solo shows (though I know a lot of bootlegs from the 1999 tour give the intro soundeffects that name). Imagine lots of smoke and then the drums coming in and Roger singing "Goooood Evening Londooooon, the best audience in the world we've been told!" and then launchining into No More Fun or something :D

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 10, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love them both, but Roger wins. In a different set of circumstances, he could have been quite the popular singer in the '70s.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 10, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian........only because, with front row seats, I might not be able to see Roger due to the angle and drum kit.

Yes, I know Roger would be up front a lot, yet from two experiences, I'd take Brian (and plenty of earplugs).

Tough hypothetical question,  and a thought provoking one at that.

The backstage part.......Brian would be such a gentlemen, and would take a few minutes to talk.  Roger........well, he might be two sheets at that point, and would be quite disinterested.

Could I at least see the set lists first?  Please?  That could sway my answer.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 10, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would have to be Roger.

Please Sarah, can I join the Roger Girls??? (Yes, I'm a bloke!) ;)

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 10, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger, Roger and ... if I ever had a third opportunity, Brian

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 10, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is my second favorite member of queen, only behind freddie.  I still would pick roger if i had the choice between brian and roger solo live.  I think roger's voice is better, especially these days.  Roger also seems to be into the music scene more than brian is.  Roger an underated vocalist, though his songs overall were hit or miss for me, and doesn't hold a candle to what brian did in queen, but if we're talking seeing one of them live in the present i'll go with roger.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I think Dr May would spend several minutes preaching about animal welfare (which is a great cause and a very important matter, but that's a concert not a conference)

Brian has been pro-animal rights for decades and never once has he preached about it on stage.  What makes you think he'd start doing it now, especially since he now has his soapbox to rant on?

As for the original question, I think I'd pick Roger, as he'd probably be the one to pick a few more obscure songs.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Sebastian

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

I think Dr May would spend several minutes preaching about animal welfare (which is a great cause and a very important matter, but that's a concert not a conference)

Brian has been pro-animal rights for decades and never once has he preached about it on stage.  What makes you think he'd start doing it now, especially since he now has his soapbox to rant on?

Just a hunch. It could be wrong, of course, but I wouldn't risk it. I'd prefer to go to Roger's gig where I'm almost positive there'll be less talk more music.

By the way there are loads of things people haven't done for decades and it doesn't make it impossible for them to start from one moment to another. Freddie's facial hair had been growing since his teenage years (I reckon) and not once had he given a concert with moustache. Until one day he did it. And then two, and then three, and then many more. Theoretically, the same could happen here: Brian could give his first pro-animal speech during a concert. It could be as short as two minutes, or as long as half an hour. And then more would follow... it's not impossible. Of course, maybe it'll never happen, but again, I wouldn't risk it. That's not reason enough not to go to a concert, but one of the several reasons why I'd prefer going to Roger's. If it's Brian or nothing, Brian; if it's Brian or Roger, Roger.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

By the way there are loads of things people haven't done for decades and it doesn't make it impossible for them to start from one moment to another. Freddie's facial hair had been growing since his teenage years (I reckon) and not once had he given a concert with moustache.

By that logic, then Roger's concert could include a 20 minute rant about Afghanistan during an interlude in The Unblinking Eye.

Or maybe he could bring out Mick Jagger and start an orgy on stage.  Anything's possible, right?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Sebastian

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 01:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

By the way there are loads of things people haven't done for decades and it doesn't make it impossible for them to start from one moment to another. Freddie's facial hair had been growing since his teenage years (I reckon) and not once had he given a concert with moustache.

By that logic, then Roger's concert could include a 20 minute rant about Afghanistan during an interlude in The Unblinking Eye.

Or maybe he could bring out Mick Jagger and start an orgy on stage.  Anything's possible, right?

Exactly. And the odds for one thing or the other to happen are entirely subjective (hence the use of a cute little verb which is called to think, which is etymologically related to imagination [i.e. stuff that may or may not happen]). Since I think the possibility of Brian talking about animal welfare is stronger than Roger talking politics or having an orgy, and since I think Roger's got a better voice than Brian, and since I think Roger would have Mike Crossley (whom I admire) on keys rather than Spike (whom I'm not fond of), and since I think there's a stronger chance for Roger to play guitar than for Brian to play piano (thus pleasing my taste for musicians going out of their comfort zone - just look at my website's banner), and since I think (as you do, based on your previous post) Roger would be more likely to sing 'Drowse' than Brian to sing 'Dreamer's Ball', and since I think I wouldn't enjoy very much a Cozy-less BM Band, and since I think I would have a better chance of getting laid after the Roger gig (I'm currently single and I could hit on one of those gorgeous women who would be aroused by him and in desperate need for someone to celebrate with), I think I'd enjoy Roger's concert more than Brian's and, for that reason, I know I'd buy tickets for the blondrummer instead of the doctor.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 01:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh boy, there we go again...

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1580 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will choose Brian's show because he will be doing what he does best - playing the guitar.

I like Roger but I still can't sit through the whole session of him singing a Queen song just like I still can't do it for Paul Rodgers.

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1313 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 02:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ROGER AAAAAHHHH....!

FlorianS user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 03:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would go to see the Brian show.

Saw him in '93 and '98 and loved both shows.
Moreover I prefer Brians solo stuff to Rogers and prefer most of the Brian stuff which could be played / was played in the past to the stuff Roger would probably do.

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kathleen ! - What are you thinking of ?!, you love roger so much and you don't have 'Fun in Space' ?, why,  it's probably his best album, get out today and get it girl !

Master Marathon Runner

Master Marathon Runner
Princess140686 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Princess140686
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ROGER without hesitating !!! I already prefer his Voice and he is my second prefer Member of QUEEN.
The one that I prefer ??   FREDDIE naturally....and for more than 25 Years !!!!!!  (sorry for my bad English)

rob s user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 10, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Being in the US, my choice would be for Roger, as he has never graced these shores with a solo performance before, and we have had the opportunity to see Brian.

I'm curious to hear from people who have already seen both perform solo, who would they prefer to see again?