I am currently trying to put together ALL informations we have about the Knebworth show.
It was the LAST concert in the times, when Queen consisted of Freddie, Brian, Roger, John and Spike, so it deserves a "proper" release. Since we won't get it from official sources, I want to make my own.
That's why I search for all video bits, audio bits, photos, stories, anecdotes .....
These are some of the information I found during some googlin' , I hope some of it will be interesting for somebody from you.
The gig was according to wikipedia called : "It's A Kind Of Magic
" - can somebody confirm this ???( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concerts_at_Knebworth_House
Before you continue, check this site : http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Knebworth-festival-1986.html Belouis Some
2 anecdotes from http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/reading-88.html
1. Was standing by the mixing desk unit, about 40 yards out from the stage. Bottles started flying for about 5 minutes when a huge half a melon came flying over and actually hit one of the sound mixing guys on the back of the head. He was furious, staring out into the crowd with melon stuck in his hair, trying to find the culprit, to no avail. Me & my mate were crying with laughter.
2. The opening act came on (guy called Belouis Some, who was awful, but I think Freddie was 'fond' of him). Anyways, first three songs went by and he had a regular inflow of bottles. The idiot then announced that his next song was called 'Target Practice' (no joke), and the whole stage was then swamped for about 2 minutes non-stop. Funniest thing was people were running out of bottles and huge chunks of turf were then sent inbound. Fucking hilarious!
Well from what I read he was "shit", "crap" etc., so a recording probably doesn't exist. Or does it ? Big Country
"This left the Scottish tinged act Big Country, to pave the way for the headliners,. Big Country were quite popular in the 80s,although they never had massive hits, their album ' The Seer" did chart at number 2 in 1986, but for all that , they were rather strange band to be on this bill, as they would not seem to appeal particularly to Queen fans . Their music had a celtic feel to it and really did not connect to the populistic and anthemic Queen tunes , but who knows, perhaps they were on the bill because members of Queen liked them..... or perhaps because they were not likely to outperform Queen and thus steal their glory ...
Just how well Big Country went down is arguable as reported sources vary, with quotes regarding them doing four encores to none at all ! They were the recipients of a full 2 litre bottle of something or other thrown from the crowds, but they got a better reception than Beloius Some."
Check out one of the Rarities cd's, there is little bits on it filmed by Ian, cant remember the song but it shows the whole crowd singing back to Stuart. From what i've heard Big Country went down great and im sure someone told me Brian May watched them from the side of the stage.
- SO A VIDEO RECORDING OF BIG COUNTRY DOES EXIST ???? Does anybody have it ?
Hi Andrew, I've got a bootleg CD of that gig and it sounds as though they're received very well, especially during the 2nd half of the set. The set list if anyone is interested was-
2)Fields Of Fire,
3) Where The Rose Is Sown,
5)I Walk The Hill,
6)Just A Shadow,
12)Honky Tonk Woman,
13)Fields Of Fire scratch.
Don't think they would have played scratch if they didnt enjoy it, and wouldnt have played for 70mins.
- So an AUDIO recording DOES exist. Does anybody have it ? Status Quo
according to this site : http://www.statusquo.fr/bootlegs.htm
a bootleg recording DOES exist. Does anybody have it ?
Taken from their official site : http://www.statusquo.co.uk/history/history4.htm
1986 - Quo returns with a new line-up. Joining Rossi, Parfitt and Bown for the recording of 'In The Army Now' are John 'Rhino' Edwards (bass) and Jeff Rich (drums). The band enjoy the sessions so much that they decide to go out on the road again. A giant European tour even includes three shows in different countries within 24 hours in Denmark, England (Knebworth) and Switzerland. The Top Ten 'In The Army Now' album includes four hit singles with 'Rollin Home' (No.9), 'Red Sky' (No.19), 'In The Army Now' (No.2) and 'Dreamin' (No.15)
Well according to http://www.queenlive.ca/queen/86-08-09.htm
"they had to leave early for a gig in Germany". Does anybody KNOW what is the truth ?
Also this picture :
Does it come from the Queen show in 1986 as QueenLive (and other sites) suggest or from the 1990 show, as http://www.statusquo.co.uk/history/history4.htm
suggests ? Does anybody know ? Queen
these are the songs which we KNOW that were filmed professionally :
One Vision (by the TV station - TV Anglia ???) - does anybody know if they filmed more ?
Is This The World We Created ? - by DoRo crew
Tutti Frutti - by DoRo crew
Hammer To Fall - includes some IDENTICAL angles to the footage which was show on the big screen
Radio Ga Ga - at least 3 different cameras - one identical with the ITTWWC footage, the other filmed from either the stage or right below the stage, and the third identical to the footage from the big screen
We Are The Champions - the same as GaGa
God Save The Queen - many many different angles, including some IDENTICAL angles as those shown on the big screen.
Well didn't Mr. Greg "ILoveJohnSStuartAndAllQueenMoaners" Brooks and Mr. Brian "IDontWareWigs" May claim that the footage which was transferred to the big screen wasn't recorded at all ? So how is it possible that we have professional bits which show the IDENTICAL angles like the video show on the screen ? Is it possible to have 2 camera men standing close together and filming the same object from the same angle ? This is quite strange.
There are also many audio recordings
1) the soundboard recording - edited version released on Live Magic
- unfortunately they played with the speed, the rock songs are faster, the ballads are slower
2) Crazy Ass master tape, released on bootleg Thank You All
3) 105 minutes long audience recording
4) an unknown recording - somebody standing VERY close to Crazy Ass also recorded the gig, on the TYA recording you can hear how "somebody" stops his "recording device"
5) official video source - as recorded by the DoRo film
Does somebody have "source 4" or heard it ? Is there any chance it could be better than the "Crazy Ass" source ? SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Does anybody have any audio recording of the opening bands ?
Does anybody have any video recording of the opening bands ?
Does anybody have any photos of any of the performances ?
Is anybody willing to share his/her memories on this day ?
Any comments at all ?