Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Save me - fabulous song

forum rss feed
Author

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMHO this is one of Brians best songs, the lyrics are excellent and when freddie sang this live he sang it beautifully and captured the emotion of the song

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Interview? Oh don't be ridiculous

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I completely agree. It is an amazing song and it capped off arguably one of Queen's very best albums. I think it was the perfect closing song to The Game, and I consider it to be an absolute classic. :D

PrincessofTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree that it's a great song, but IMO the live version far surpasses the studio version.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2752 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

why does everyone need to compare live vs studio?....it's a bloody good song either way.  the Game was a great album i think.  After a few not so great songs with don't try suicide and coming soon the album ends on a high note with save me.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4678 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

why does everyone need to compare live vs studio?....it's a bloody good song either way.  the Game was a great album i think.  After a few not so great songs with don't try suicide and coming soon the album ends on a high note with save me.

It's amazing how much difference that makes. The Game would mean something different to me is it ended with, say AOBTD or Coming Soon instead of Save Me.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 16:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love that song. It never grows old.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

Yes, it's a good song. When I heard the studio version, I liked it. When I heard the live version, I loved it. Do I love the studio version now? Not really - this is a song that played live really comes alive (pun unintended).  Like it or not, the two versions are very different.

Sebastian

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I personally prefer the studio version because of Brian's harmonies in the second lift and because of the acoustic. Oh, and the guitar choir is fabulous.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I personally prefer the studio version because of Brian's harmonies in the second lift and because of the acoustic. Oh, and the guitar choir is fabulous.

I always miss the harmonies when they played live. Roger would try to sing them (Brian would too but more often Roger), but it rarely sounded even close to the studio version.

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 549 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-mSfZuylKE

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1304 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great song indeed. I remember being 10 years old listening to this song in the record store (with the headphones) while reading the lyrics. I bought the game album right after that.

republic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 10, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And for the six mark question!

Who can tell me where and when SAVE ME was performed live for the first time?

Sebastian

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PrincessofTaylor wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

I always miss the harmonies when they played live. Roger would try to sing them (Brian would too but more often Roger), but it rarely sounded even close to the studio version.

While I also miss the chorus harmonies, I was mostly referring to these ones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z9fDRjqVyI (1:42 - 1:53).

Not to mention the extraordinary and priceless bit when bass and acoustic join the piano after the first verse.

dsmeer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of my favourite Queen songs and yes Live version is better.

The_CrY user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Certainly a great end to the, in my opinion, half-baked The Game.

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

PrincessofTaylor wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

While I also miss the chorus harmonies, I was mostly referring to these ones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z9fDRjqVyI> (1:42 - 1:53).

Not to mention the extraordinary and priceless bit when bass and acoustic join the piano after the first verse.

Ah - I really don't know anything about music other than, "I like how that sounds." Thanks for the link.

And the opening bit when the rest of the instruments start up is my favorite part of the song (especially when played live - that's part of the reason why I think the live version is this song is so awesome!)

LordOfAllDarkness user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

republic wrote:

And for the six mark question!

Who can tell me where and when SAVE ME was performed live for the first time?

Dublin, Ireland, November 22nd 1979. The first recording of the song that circulates is from Glasgow, December 1st 1979

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

Absolutely. The second side was pretty disappointing (Sail Away Sweet Sister aside), so to have the album end with a masterpiece like Save Me rescued the album for me.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2752 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The first side is flawless to me. not a bad song on it.  the second side has the decent prime jive, though I'm not crazy about new wave.  The weakest song from freddie up to that point don't try suicide and roger's weak coming soon, so yea Save me saved the second side to that album.  Along with sail away sweet sister.

prescott2811 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 10, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great song.
One of Queens best love balleds. Sadly you don't hear much of it so unless your not a Queen fan you prob would of never heard of it.
To me its a classic love balled n it should get more credit than it deserves

Paul Prescott